How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:26 am

I have some past issues which might cause problems with legal employers (though C&F will probably be fine after a rough ride, according to several C&F attorneys).

I'd like to speak to a career counselor about how significant my issues really are prior to taking out $100,000 in loans to attend a top 10 law school.

But I'm not sure I want to speak directly to anyone in the law schools to which I've been admitted over the phone. Or should I? I'm thinking of picking a safety school which I'm not likely to attend and to which I had to disclose my issue on the LS application and calling their career office to discuss this with them. Good idea or not?

I've heard of the Anna Ivey Admissions Consulting, but is there anything like this for legal employment to decide if going to law school is a good idea?

Any better options?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 am

niederbomb wrote:I have some past issues which might cause problems with legal employers (though C&F will probably be fine after a rough ride, according to several C&F attorneys).

I'd like to speak to a career counselor about how significant my issues really are prior to taking out $100,000 in loans to attend a top 10 law school.

But I'm not sure I want to speak directly to anyone in the law schools to which I've been admitted over the phone. Or should I? I'm thinking of picking a safety school which I'm not likely to attend and to which I had to disclose my issue on the LS application and calling their career office to discuss this with them. Good idea or not?

I've heard of the Anna Ivey Admissions Consulting, but is there anything like this for legal employment to decide if going to law school is a good idea?

Any better options?


They won't talk to you. Ask the Admissions people. They act as a go-between. Career services won't even talk to you as a 1L until Nov 1 (ABA rules).

However, no one will answer anything like a C&F question. You must contact the bar in whatever state you plan to be admitted to.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:54 am

blowhard wrote:
niederbomb wrote:I have some past issues which might cause problems with legal employers (though C&F will probably be fine after a rough ride, according to several C&F attorneys).

I'd like to speak to a career counselor about how significant my issues really are prior to taking out $100,000 in loans to attend a top 10 law school.

But I'm not sure I want to speak directly to anyone in the law schools to which I've been admitted over the phone. Or should I? I'm thinking of picking a safety school which I'm not likely to attend and to which I had to disclose my issue on the LS application and calling their career office to discuss this with them. Good idea or not?

I've heard of the Anna Ivey Admissions Consulting, but is there anything like this for legal employment to decide if going to law school is a good idea?

Any better options?


They won't talk to you. Ask the Admissions people. They act as a go-between. Career services won't even talk to you as a 1L until Nov 1 (ABA rules).

However, no one will answer anything like a C&F question. You must contact the bar in whatever state you plan to be admitted to.


Of course, already did this. Where do I learn about legal employment?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:06 am

If I understand your original post, you have already had evaluations of your concerns by "several C&F attorneys". If accurate, then why seek even more opinions as most C&F attorneys worked for state bars prior to going into private practice. Additionally, if these issues were disclosed on your law school applications & you were accepted, then those law schools do not anticipate any insurmountable barrier to you entering the practice of law.
If you just need further discussion to allay your fears, then consider posting the details anonymously.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Loser
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby Anonymous Loser » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:24 am

blowhard wrote:They won't talk to you. Ask the Admissions people. They act as a go-between. Career services won't even talk to you as a 1L until Nov 1 (ABA rules).

However, no one will answer anything like a C&F question. You must contact the bar in whatever state you plan to be admitted to.


First of all, the standards you are referring to are promulgated by NALP, not the ABA. Secondly, they apply to first-year law students, not prospective law school applicants. Nothing prevents applicants from discussing legal employment issued with the career services offices of the law schools they are considering attending.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:
blowhard wrote:They won't talk to you. Ask the Admissions people. They act as a go-between. Career services won't even talk to you as a 1L until Nov 1 (ABA rules).

However, no one will answer anything like a C&F question. You must contact the bar in whatever state you plan to be admitted to.


First of all, the standards you are referring to are promulgated by NALP, not the ABA. Secondly, they apply to first-year law students, not prospective law school applicants. Nothing prevents applicants from discussing legal employment issued with the career services offices of the law schools they are considering attending.


First of all, who makes the rule has no impact. Secondly, call OCS as a 0L and see if they talk to you. I wasn't implying they weren't allowed, just that they won't. My point was that they are geared to 2/3Ls...

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby Capitol A » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 pm

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:
blowhard wrote:They won't talk to you. Ask the Admissions people. They act as a go-between. Career services won't even talk to you as a 1L until Nov 1 (ABA rules).

However, no one will answer anything like a C&F question. You must contact the bar in whatever state you plan to be admitted to.


First of all, the standards you are referring to are promulgated by NALP, not the ABA. Secondly, they apply to first-year law students, not prospective law school applicants. Nothing prevents applicants from discussing legal employment issued with the career services offices of the law schools they are considering attending.


First of all, who makes the rule has no impact. Secondly, call OCS as a 0L and see if they talk to you. I wasn't implying they weren't allowed, just that they won't. My point was that they are geared to 2/3Ls...

I met with a the director of career services for over an hour at a school I was considering. Getting the appointment was not a big deal. I was scheduling a visit, and I said, "can I meet with someone in career services?" and they made me an appointment.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Capitol A wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:
blowhard wrote:They won't talk to you. Ask the Admissions people. They act as a go-between. Career services won't even talk to you as a 1L until Nov 1 (ABA rules).

However, no one will answer anything like a C&F question. You must contact the bar in whatever state you plan to be admitted to.


First of all, the standards you are referring to are promulgated by NALP, not the ABA. Secondly, they apply to first-year law students, not prospective law school applicants. Nothing prevents applicants from discussing legal employment issued with the career services offices of the law schools they are considering attending.


First of all, who makes the rule has no impact. Secondly, call OCS as a 0L and see if they talk to you. I wasn't implying they weren't allowed, just that they won't. My point was that they are geared to 2/3Ls...

I met with a the director of career services for over an hour at a school I was considering. Getting the appointment was not a big deal. I was scheduling a visit, and I said, "can I meet with someone in career services?" and they made me an appointment.


You are the rare person my friend. What school was this? I had a nearly 2 hour meeting with the Admissions Dean at Villanova last year, complete with personal tour. You seem to get way better access if you are way above their numbers and they are recruiting you actively.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby Capitol A » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:26 pm

You are the rare person my friend. What school was this? I had a nearly 2 hour meeting with the Admissions Dean at Villanova last year, complete with personal tour. You seem to get way better access if you are way above their numbers and they are recruiting you actively.

It's true I was above their 75th LSAT, but I don't think the lady making my appointments knew that.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:28 pm

You didn't disclose on your app. you fucked. otherwise I would say just call career services up. they are usually happy to speak to accepted students.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Veyron wrote:You didn't disclose on your app. you fucked. otherwise I would say just call career services up. they are usually happy to speak to accepted students.


This is even if the app didn't ask a question that could remotely speak to disclosure?

I'm talking to a safety school, one I would never attend, where I DID have to disclose anyway, so I was just wondering about this.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests