(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Last edited by rman1201 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tourdeforcex

Re: Developing a presence (or faking it)

Postby tourdeforcex » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:10 pm

1. i wouldn't say lack of work experience is a "problem" it's just the situation.
2. best wishes w/ FSOT. from what i know (which is not very much), it's pretty hard for younger applicants. my friend tested immediately out of UG and everyone else he met were between 28-35+

to your actual questions:
to develop more of a presence/confidence/professionalism/maturity, a possibly simple solution: do sales. learn to get rejected again and again and w/ a smile. if you can do sales w/ grace, you will definitely have more of a presence. if you can sell a product well in person and you feel you are a qualified person, you can definitely be selling yourself at networking events, interviews, etc.

books... you can only learn so much from books. maybe that dale carnegie book: 'how to make friends and influence people.' as for 'faking it', i don't think you really can. interviewers, partners, lawyers, and business people meet others all the time, and should be able to tell if someone is being disingenuous.

hope this helps.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Just be yourself. Attorneys are people just like anyone else. Bullshit with them like you would with your friends in class (though in my case, with less swearing). Show genuine interest in what they do or what you'd like to do. Don't be an asshole, and don't try to kiss their ass.

Profit.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Although most people seem to see me as an extrovert, I feel very introverted. This book, however, gave me good reasons to try and feel different. For some, it may seem second nature or basic, but for me it helped: http://www.amazon.com/Never-Eat-Alone-S ... 0385512058

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:19 pm

OGR3 wrote:1. Just be yourself. Attorneys are people just like anyone else. Bullshit with them like you would with your friends in class (though in my case, with less swearing). Show genuine interest in what they do or what you'd like to do. Don't be an asshole, and don't try to kiss their ass.

2. ???????

3. Profit.

FTFY

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Box. Seriously.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Last edited by rman1201 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexb

Postby alexb » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:49 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Box. Seriously.

While it's really all in your head and nothing in particular is necessary, but the right attitude, yeah, I'd say athletics generally will help. Something that involves physical strength training. Lifting weights will go a long way to increase your confidence and, of course, physical presence. Don't go overboard on either, however, too much = bad.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:05 pm

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Do drugs.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:12 pm

tourdeforcex wrote:1. i wouldn't say lack of work experience is a "problem" it's just the situation.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:37 pm

You should join Toastmasters. It is free or maybe $50.00 to join. But it will give you confidence, strengthen your public speaking skills, and give you an advantage during OCI.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:43 pm

rman1201 wrote:
alexb wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:Box. Seriously.

While it's really all in your head and nothing in particular is necessary, but the right attitude, yeah, I'd say athletics generally will help. Something that involves physical strength training. Lifting weights will go a long way to increase your confidence and, of course, physical presence. Don't go overboard on either, however, too much = bad.

I'd argue the causation goes the other way than you guys are implying (Extraverted/Macho Personality causes someone to go into athletics rather than the other way around).
I did football and wrestling in high school and was always sort of the odd man out, I never yelled, got too worked up, I didnt even feel like doing all the stupid stuff the football team did to get pumped up (jump up and down in huddles before the game, etc). It was always just sort of 'meh'.

Oh no.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Hank Chill

Postby Hank Chill » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:31 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Do drugs.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:44 pm

rman1201 wrote:I'll be going to law school straight out of UG with limited WE (different experiences/internships scattered here and there) and I'm just curious if there's anything I can do now to develop more of a presence (confidence/professionalism/maturity) before I become busy with school. This isn't a 'how should I dress in LS' thread, I'm primarily concerned with coming across in a positive light at networking events, interviews, etc.

The obvious answer is work experience - I am currently working full time in a small law firm (graduated in December), however I have committed to going straight to law school unless I land a decent job prior to may-ish (currently in the FSO process w/ state department, awaiting FSOT results. If that pans out I would put off LS).

Is there anyone who has encountered similar problems and actively tried to work on them? Know any good books or other material to help with this? Anyone have any success at least 'faking it' when it comes to having a presence?
(I am interested in corporate/finance law, hopefully one day going on the in-house route, which is why I'm especially interested in this).

Thanks!

Almost exactly the same thing. I have done legal internships and shadowed judges and lawyers-litigators and in-house people alike, and for the most part know what I am getting myself into and look forward to the opportunity to study the law. But something inside me makes me feel like I should "make something of myself" before I go, and..."grow up"

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:58 am

PomasThynchon wrote:
rman1201 wrote:I'll be going to law school straight out of UG with limited WE (different experiences/internships scattered here and there) and I'm just curious if there's anything I can do now to develop more of a presence (confidence/professionalism/maturity) before I become busy with school. This isn't a 'how should I dress in LS' thread, I'm primarily concerned with coming across in a positive light at networking events, interviews, etc.

The obvious answer is work experience - I am currently working full time in a small law firm (graduated in December), however I have committed to going straight to law school unless I land a decent job prior to may-ish (currently in the FSO process w/ state department, awaiting FSOT results. If that pans out I would put off LS).

Is there anyone who has encountered similar problems and actively tried to work on them? Know any good books or other material to help with this? Anyone have any success at least 'faking it' when it comes to having a presence?
(I am interested in corporate/finance law, hopefully one day going on the in-house route, which is why I'm especially interested in this).

Thanks!

Almost exactly the same thing. I have done legal internships and shadowed judges and lawyers-litigators and in-house people alike, and for the most part know what I am getting myself into and look forward to the opportunity to study the law. But something inside me makes me feel like I should "make something of myself" before I go, and..."grow up"

Maybe go get a job and work for 2 years before going. That'll put some fuzz on your peaches.

Return to “Law School FAQ”