Why is it that the T14 is the 'elite'? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jpSartre

Bronze

Re: Why is it that the T14 is the 'elite'?

Post by jpSartre » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:50 am

Bildungsroman wrote:A bunch of Georgetown students thought it up as a "fuck you" to their friends at UCLA.

this actually isnt not funny

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 pm

I wasTHISCLOSE to making a thread on this, but decided to use the search button. I was going to ask almost verbatim as to how OP did.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Bless wrote:I wasTHISCLOSE to making a thread on this, but decided to use the search button. I was going to ask almost verbatim as to how OP did.
Is this serious, or are you insinuating that OP should have used the search button?

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Hank Chill wrote:Why can't it be the T13 or the T15 that is considered the best? When did the law school gods designate the T14 as the top schools?
OP is mad because his school Texas isn't in the T14. Too bad.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Hank Chill wrote:Why can't it be the T13 or the T15 that is considered the best? When did the law school gods designate the T14 as the top schools?
Hitchhiker: You heard of this thing, the 8-Minute Abs?
Ted: Yeah, sure, 8-Minute Abs. Yeah, the excercise video.
Hitchhiker: Yeah, this is going to blow that right out of the water. Listen to this: 7... Minute... Abs.
Ted: Right. Yes. OK, all right. I see where you're going.
Hitchhiker: Think about it. You walk into a video store, you see 8-Minute Abs sittin' there, there's 7-Minute Abs right beside it. Which one are you gonna pick, man?
Ted: I would go for the 7.
Hitchhiker: Bingo, man, bingo. 7-Minute Abs. And we guarantee just as good a workout as the 8-minute folk.
Ted: You guarantee it? That's - how do you do that?
Hitchhiker: If you're not happy with the first 7 minutes, we're gonna send you the extra minute free. You see? That's it. That's our motto. That's where we're comin' from. That's from "A" to "B".
Ted: That's right. That's - that's good. That's good. Unless, of course, somebody comes up with 6-Minute Abs. Then you're in trouble, huh?
[Hitchhiker convulses]
Hitchhiker: No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart goin, not even a mouse on a wheel.
Ted: That - good point.
Hitchhiker: 7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.
Ted: Why?
Hitchhiker: 'Cause you're fuckin' fired!

TL;DR, what it boils down to is that it's all just marketing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:49 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
No. The rankings are bullshit. Fourteen is just a weird number of things to group together. When we group things it tends to be in multiples of five. It would make more sense for the T5 or the T10 to be the most commonly referenced 'elite group'. A group of fourteen is odd and uncommon. I was wondering if it was an arbitrary number or if there was some greater reasoning behind it.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Hank Chill wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
No. The rankings are bullshit. Fourteen is just a weird number of things to group together. When we group things it tends to be in multiples of five. It would make more sense for the T5 or the T10 to be the most commonly referenced 'elite group'. A group of fourteen is odd and uncommon. I was wondering if it was an arbitrary number or if there was some greater reasoning behind it.
It's not arbitrary. Read the thread mang.

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Hank Chill wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_school ... the_top_14

The link explains it.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:54 pm

retake wrote:Don't worry. When you go to law school, you can change around the distinction for "elite" however much you want. Go to Stanford? Well I guess only the T3 are the true elites. Chicago? Well, maybe T5 is where there's a real drop off. USC? Well I heard T18 is the new T14 in trendier circles. :roll:
hahaha this is so effing true. i've seen people going to michigan telling people on TLS that they got into a T9

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:08 pm

You guys get your cause and effect wrong.

The schools in the t14 were elite before USNews. T14 became a think because they were elite.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You guys get your cause and effect wrong.

The schools in the t14 were elite before USNews. T14 became a think because they were elite.
Georgetown is elite?

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Why is it the T14 the 'elite'?

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:11 pm

rad law wrote:Image

HTH

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:12 pm

FiveSermon wrote:

Georgetown is elite?
oh SNAP

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:19 pm

FiveSermon wrote:

Georgetown is elite?
Slowly losing it's brand because it's too large of a school, but it used to be pretty elite. If they halved their student number they could probably make a play for top 10.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Georgetown is elite?
Slowly losing it's brand because it's too large of a school, but it used to be pretty elite. If they halved their student number they could probably make a play for top 10.
Cornell is elite?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:38 pm

It's a term coined in 2001 to designate the 14 schools that had nearly exclusively retained (switched around within, but dominated) the top 14 spots in the USNews rankings.

The schools were elite long before the term existed, though it doesn't seem like any delineation was made b/t GULC and Texas.

It's been obfuscated in recent years by the fact that they are no longer the 14 best schools in America, which would seem to have been a necessary requirement (Vandy is now significantly superior to GULC).

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:52 pm

flcath wrote:It's a term coined in 2001 to designate the 14 schools that had nearly exclusively retained (switched around within, but dominated) the top 14 spots in the USNews rankings.
You realize this is incorrect, yes?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:58 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
flcath wrote:It's a term coined in 2001 to designate the 14 schools that had nearly exclusively retained (switched around within, but dominated) the top 14 spots in the USNews rankings.
How so? If I recall, UCLA broke into the top 14 once back in the 90s.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:03 pm

flcath wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
The schools which currently make up the top 14 are the only schools to have broken into the top 10 (at one point or another) rankings since their inception. This was already covered somewhere earlier ITT, but I'm too lazy to find and quote it.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:04 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Bless wrote:I wasTHISCLOSE to making a thread on this, but decided to use the search button. I was going to ask almost verbatim as to how OP did.
Is this serious, or are you insinuating that OP should have used the search button?
Dead serious. I came across this thread after using the search button.

And I learned that I rightfully predicted that "14" was a bullshit number. I love how pretentious some of the TLS'ers are about the whole T14 thing.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:07 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
flcath wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
The schools which currently make up the top 14 are the only schools to have broken into the top 10 (at one point or another) rankings since their inception. This was already covered somewhere earlier ITT, but I'm too lazy to find and quote it.
Wikipedia says otherwise. If you can find a better source, you are welcome to.

Also, the plain meaning of the term "top 14" is, well, the top 14 schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Bless wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

And I learned that I rightfully predicted that "14" was a bullshit number. I love how pretentious some of the TLS'ers are about the whole T14 thing.
uuuuuuhhh, i did not gather that from this thread at all.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Bless wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

uuuuuuhhh, i did not gather that from this thread at all.
I actually think that 14 was a very meaningful number when the term was coined.

Now 13 (or, in the other direction, 17 or 18) would be more meaningful.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:uuuuuuhhh, i did not gather that from this thread at all.
Well, I'll clarify what I meant. There is no significant difference in going to the 14th best and 15th best law school.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 pm

flcath wrote: I actually think that 14 was a very meaningful number when the term was coined.

Now 13 (or, in the other direction, 17 or 18) would be more meaningful.
I guess we've determined Georgetown is officially a POS then?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”