What Does Your Major Matter?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:00 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:
whats your major?


Computer Science


thats credited.


I was also a math and mechanical engineering major, choose not to finish - CS had the best career outlook. But I like math + physics the best.

2L2011
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 am

Dude, if your so great in those areas, why not just do that?

r6_philly wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:
whats your major?


Computer Science


thats credited.


I was also a math and mechanical engineering major, choose not to finish - CS had the best career outlook. But I like math + physics the best.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
2L2011 wrote:GRE, really......really.........nah you can't be......yep B-school.
WTF?!?! Keep the sewage in the gutter where it belongs. :x


GMAT = B school
GRE = grad school in sciences


If I wasnt lazy as hell i wold totally have gone to grad school for phd


My wife is looking at PhDs, it's pretty cool to not pay tuition and get paid $35k for 5 years to get funneled into a life-long career starting at 80-90k. I think it's very cool for a second income in the household.

2L2011
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:03 am

Yeah, but who givesashit?!? Going to lawschool takes a BA(An AA in some states) Why waste your life in that crap?
People cry rivers about too much debt, that may be why.

dr123 wrote:You have to take the GRE for a lot of Lib Arts grad programs too.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 am

2L2011 wrote:Dude, if your so great in those areas, why not just do that?


I did, I am.

I am getting a JD so I can start my own firm in 5-10 serving my current industry (web/info assurance/privacy).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 am

2L2011 wrote:Yeah, but who givesashit?!? Going to lawschool takes a BA(An AA in some states) Why waste your life in that crap?
People cry rivers about too much debt, that may be why.

dr123 wrote:You have to take the GRE for a lot of Lib Arts grad programs too.


You missed the part about top grad programs pay you to go to school.

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby HBK » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:06 am

I have actually heard of fluff majors being brought up in interviews with firms. What made you want to major in... General Studies??

Do not yet have any data on whether it effects the hiring, but I assume a basket-weaving major may have a tougher time than an EE.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby dr123 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:06 am

2L2011 wrote:Yeah, but who givesashit?!? Going to lawschool takes a BA(An AA in some states) Why waste your life in that crap?
People cry rivers about too much debt, that may be why.

dr123 wrote:You have to take the GRE for a lot of Lib Arts grad programs too.


If you're paying to get a PhD you're doing something seriously wrong. Every PhD program I've ever heard of pays you (not much though) to teach 100 level classes
Last edited by dr123 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

2L2011
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:07 am

You are going to LOVE ProfessionalResponsability.

r6_philly wrote:
2L2011 wrote:Dude, if your so great in those areas, why not just do that?


I did, I am.

I am getting a JD so I can start my own firm in 5-10 serving my current industry (web/info assurance/privacy).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:08 am

dr123 wrote:If you're paying to get a PhD you're doing something seriously wrong. Every PhD program I've ever heard of pays you (not much though) to teach 100 level classes


TBF, people do it all the time. And pay a lot too. Read my response above ... a couple of programs at Penn we looked at pay $35k stipend.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:09 am

2L2011 wrote:You are going to LOVE ProfessionalResponsability.


Why?

2L2011
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:11 am

oh, I won't ruin it for you. You'll find out.

r6_philly wrote:
2L2011 wrote:You are going to LOVE ProfessionalResponsability.


Why?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:14 am

2L2011 wrote:oh, I won't ruin it for you. You'll find out.


No I know it. Why?

2L2011
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:15 am

Priceless, like talking to a 3year old. "No I know the answer already......so now you can tell me..." :roll: :lol:

r6_philly wrote:
2L2011 wrote:oh, I won't ruin it for you. You'll find out.


No I know it. Why?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 am

2L2011 wrote:Priceless, like talking to a 3year old. "No I know the answer already......so now you can tell me..." :roll: :lol:


No talking to you is like talking to a 3 year old. You are wrong all the time but just act like you don't realize it. You can't express what you want to say. And when people ask you for clarification, you get cranky.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:19 am

Goddamn, it's annoying as hell when people put the quoted text below their response.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:20 am

+1

kalvano wrote:Goddamn, it's annoying as hell when people put the quoted text below their response.

2L2011
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:22 am

:cry:

kalvano wrote:Goddamn, it's annoying as hell when people put the quoted text below their response.

jeremysen
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 am

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby jeremysen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:25 am

kalvano wrote:Goddamn, it's annoying as hell when people put the quoted text below their response.


Feel like the site administrators would put the extra line on top of the quotes instead of below, if they intended us to type on top.
Last edited by jeremysen on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:26 am

Why is there so much bullshit arguing about nothing on TLS these days?

Your major doesn't matter.

/thread

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:29 am

jeremysen wrote:...


It's ok, he's funny. (I read what you wrote)

2L2011
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:30 am

:twisted:

jeremysen wrote:
kalvano wrote:Goddamn, it's annoying as hell when people put the quoted text below their response.


Feel like the site administrators would put the extra line on top of the quotes instead of below, if they intended us to type on top.

irenic
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby irenic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:34 am

I feel very strongly that my major has helped me with law school admissions. Of course, I have no way to prove that. I do think that an applicant with a major that stands out does help though. Just my 2 cents

2L2011
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:36 am

I feel the giant bulge in my pants and raised eyebrow smile helped me in MY admissions......but like you said, we'll never know..... :twisted:

irenic wrote:I feel very strongly that my major has helped me with law school admissions. Of course, I have no way to prove that. I do think that an applicant with a major that stands out does help though. Just my 2 cents

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: What Does Your Major Matter?

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 am

r6_philly wrote:
2L2011 wrote:Perhaps not at harvard, but plenty of other schools do have it.

My point is GPA and LSAT matter MORE than Major or school. Even a 4.0 at university of pheonix(in ANY major) trumps 3.9 from Duke in any other major.



It does not at T6.


And you have proof of this from...?

Maybe Y and S. Maybe H also. But CCN? Basketweaving 4.0.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: xn3345 and 3 guests