Study hard or work and study?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Study hard or work and study?

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:42 pm

Hello my question pertains to preparation for the LSAT. I recently graduated from my 4 year(May 2010) and at the time, I was working. However, I got laid off from my Job in August and have since been out of work. From August until December, I was ONLY studying for the LSAT with the expectation of applying to law school next cycle(Apply September 2011--->Attend September 2012). I received a decent score on my December LSAT but have since registered to take it again in June.

Currently, I am still unemployed although I have been doing things part-time such as take care of my Aunt, who has cancer, tutor(chess & statistics) and have been working on and off for a family friend doing trivial work, filing, faxing etc. I am wondering if my lack of employment will be detrimental to my September application. It's hard to explain to people that taking someone to doctors appointments, shopping, cleaning, and cooking is sort of full-time work but that's not something that I can put down on my resume. So I guess my question is, should I still consider studying for the LSAT my #1 priority(at this point its just review) or do I need to find a job for resume experience. Getting a job will likely interfere with my ability to take care of my Aunt but we could obviously manage if this will appear detrimental on my applications.

Re: Study hard or work and study?

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:20 pm

Study real hard, study , study, real hard

Atleast have something on your resume to fill gaps, but if you have the numbers I wouldn't worry about it.

Postby ran12 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Just make sure that you make it clear you've been taking care of your aunt and doing personal assistant type of work. It's understandable in this economy and the family factor could help if you can figure out a good way to portray it.

Postby Fred_McGriff » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:40 am

Just chill. It'll work itself out.

Return to “Law School FAQ”