Best Laptop?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawschooliseasy

Re: Best Laptop?

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Buy an Asus with an i3 processor.

**Acer FTFY

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:32 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:

**Acer FTFY

Acer's are cheap piles of shit. I'm typing on one now. I've got a problem with it, but I got just deal with it until spring break because I need it.

For a desktop I'd get Acer because there isn't as much do go wrong. but the build quality on their laptops are horrible.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

**Acer FTFY

Acer's are cheap piles of shit. I'm typing on one now. I've got a problem with it, but I got just deal with it until spring break because I need it.

For a desktop I'd get Acer because there isn't as much do go wrong. but the build quality on their laptops are horrible.

This is credited.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:54 pm

All of the Mac's programs for taking notes suck. I want to get Windows 7 and use boot camp but I'm being a cheap asshole and don't want to spend a ton of money on it. Besides pirating, are there student discounts on it?

hulahoop

Postby hulahoop » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Kchuck wrote:
TheStrand wrote:If you're getting a MBP, wait a couple of weeks, there's a refresh coming probably that might put the i5 in the 13 inch, plus there's the free iPod.

This is solid advice. The consensus seems to be that the new ones should be coming out in April.

I was gonna make a new thread but figure I will hijack this one since it was already brought up (yes I searched, did not find much).

There are rumors that the new MBP's will not have an optical drive. Does anyone know if this will actually be a major drawback at law school? How often do you need to run a CD? I know I barely use mine now and in college most of the software was either available for download/one time install, but am not familiar with how tests, etc are conducted.

Thoughts? (dying for new black MBP...)

TheStrand

Postby TheStrand » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:40 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:All of the Mac's programs for taking notes suck. I want to get Windows 7 and use boot camp but I'm being a cheap asshole and don't want to spend a ton of money on it. Besides pirating, are there student discounts on it?

What would you use on Windows 7 to take notes? Pages or Word and that other iWork one did well for me in undergrad. There are student discounted versions of Windows 7. Look through your school's computer store. I'm getting the Windows 7 upgrade for $18 and unofficially from the people at the microsoft student software store if you are doing a clean install through boot camp, you can use the upgrade version and it won't give you shit about not having Vista.

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Alienware MM11x

love it

zonto

Postby zonto » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Samsung 9

Thin (0.64"). Intel i5 proc. 128GB SSD (less heat, a lot faster). Chic. Windows 7. Done.

Samsung product page

• CPU: Second Generation Intel® CoreTM i5 Processor 2537M (1.40 GHz, 3MB; turbo up to 2.3 GHz)
• Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 bit) / Windows® 7 Professional (64 bit)
• Memory: 4GB DDR3
• Storage (max): 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD) [could probably get by with the 64GB version for law school to save $ if you get an external drive for pics/music]
• Screen: 13.3-inch HD LED-backlit SuperBright Plus display (400 nit)
• Resolution: 1366x768
• Graphics: Intel HD GT2 Integrated Graphics
• Speakers: 3 watt (1.5W x 2) stereo speakers and 1.5 watt sub-woofer
• Battery: Lithium Polymer; up to 6.5 hours
• Wireless: 802.11b/g/n; WiMaxi
• Weight: 2.89 lbs.

"After putting your hands on one, you realize that this isn't just another cheap Apple knock-off. The entire frame is surrounded by a material called Duraluminum, which Samsung claims is the kind used for building aircrafts but looks like any other brushed aluminum frame. The 9 Series held up pretty well after giving it the old palm press on the lid and screen bending test. It's rock solid."

"The 9-Series boasts one of the brightest screens (at 400 nits), which is even brighter than the one on the Macbook Air."

"Performance is where the two [9 and Air] diverge. The 9 Series runs on an Intel next generation Core i5 processor, as opposed to the Air's two-year old Intel Core 2 Duo. It's also equipped with 4GB of DDR3 memory. In terms of raw horsepower, the 9 series clearly has the edge over the Macbook Air. Graphics power is comparable, too, since Intel's on-die graphics can easily keep up with the nVidia Geforce 320M. The Lithium Polymer battery is sealed in like that of Air, which Samsung claims can get up to 9 hours on a single [charge?]."

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:12 pm

hulahoop wrote:
Kchuck wrote:
TheStrand wrote:If you're getting a MBP, wait a couple of weeks, there's a refresh coming probably that might put the i5 in the 13 inch, plus there's the free iPod.

This is solid advice. The consensus seems to be that the new ones should be coming out in April.

I was gonna make a new thread but figure I will hijack this one since it was already brought up (yes I searched, did not find much).

There are rumors that the new MBP's will not have an optical drive. Does anyone know if this will actually be a major drawback at law school? How often do you need to run a CD? I know I barely use mine now and in college most of the software was either available for download/one time install, but am not familiar with how tests, etc are conducted.

Thoughts? (dying for new black MBP...)

I've never needed to run a cd for law-school reasons.

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:21 pm

youngblood wrote:I intend on keeping a keyboard with me for emergency situations. I understand it may be difficult but hopefully having smaller hands will help, lol

So rarely true.

Postby 2807 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:33 pm

http://www.macrumors.com

All your Mac answers.

Even if the new ones lack the CD drive, they will have USB externals that will do the trick. I have had a Macbook Air for 3 years, all thru UG and I love it, and run windows on it when needed. I use "fusion" to run windows, and the problem is every time I open windows the windows program is trying to scan itself for updates and viruses and it bogs down so bad it is ridiculous. I have not upgraded fusion for 3 years, so that may be an issue. Running it in "bootcamp" is way better. However, the new macs have 4gig ram so that may be a fix too. (mine has 2 gig).

Mine is "old" now, but it is fast and fine. However, I will buy a new Macbook pro 15" if they slim down in the new design. A 15" Macbook air would be ideal, and I hope the new Pro is basically that....

according to macrumors.com we will know soon enough.

http://www.macrumors.com (great site)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:34 pm

mbusch22 wrote:I've never needed to run a cd for law-school reasons.

I did. When they required the open memo to be submitted in CD or flash drive format, I put it on a CD. Screw them, they can't have my flash drive.

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:31 am

dcgirl1013 wrote:I would definitely talk to the school and ask what works best with their system... I know that GW purposely makes their system hard for Mac users to use, as they prefer PCs and for undergrad you could only register for classes on a PC (Mac users had to go to the library at 7 am to register for classes)

Uh, I'm a current GW undergrad with a MBP and this just isn't true at all, never had the slightest problem registering for classes with my mac

hulahoop

Postby hulahoop » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 am

lol I know I love macrumors :mrgreen:

I was planning on maxing out the ram either way (its cheap on newegg right now), but I have had a mac all through highschool and college and never even was tempted to run windows, so I am not too worried about that. I like how small the air is but really think I want a pro....

2807 wrote:http://www.macrumors.com

All your Mac answers.

Even if the new ones lack the CD drive, they will have USB externals that will do the trick. I have had a Macbook Air for 3 years, all thru UG and I love it, and run windows on it when needed. I use "fusion" to run windows, and the problem is every time I open windows the windows program is trying to scan itself for updates and viruses and it bogs down so bad it is ridiculous. I have not upgraded fusion for 3 years, so that may be an issue. Running it in "bootcamp" is way better. However, the new macs have 4gig ram so that may be a fix too. (mine has 2 gig).

Mine is "old" now, but it is fast and fine. However, I will buy a new Macbook pro 15" if they slim down in the new design. A 15" Macbook air would be ideal, and I hope the new Pro is basically that....

according to macrumors.com we will know soon enough.

http://www.macrumors.com (great site)

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:48 am

Dell XPS 15"

i7 Processor

TheStrand

Postby TheStrand » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 pm

hulahoop wrote:lol I know I love macrumors :mrgreen:

I was planning on maxing out the ram either way (its cheap on newegg right now), but I have had a mac all through highschool and college and never even was tempted to run windows, so I am not too worried about that. I like how small the air is but really think I want a pro....

Keep in mind if you get an Air you cannot upgrade the RAM yourself. It's soldered onto the logic board, and you'll have to pay the $100 to get it with your MBA

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 am

Desert Fox wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

**Acer FTFY

I generally agree, but have been really happy w/ the Timeline.

Return to “Law School FAQ”