Deferring Applications

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
doukycats

Deferring Applications

Postby doukycats » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:08 pm

I recently decided that it would be in my best interest to sit out this cycle, retake LSAT, do some community service, and generally just take a year off before reapplying to law schools next year.

Should I just withdraw from schools I have been accepted to and reapply next year, or should I ask them to defer my application until next year - and if I do that will my having applied twice have a significant effect on that school's decision next year? Do schools require a good reason to allow you to defer - because I don't have one other than I am not satisfied with my options currently.

r6_philly

Re: Deferring Applications

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:43 am

doukycats wrote:I recently decided that it would be in my best interest to sit out this cycle, retake LSAT, do some community service, and generally just take a year off before reapplying to law schools next year.

Should I just withdraw from schools I have been accepted to and reapply next year, or should I ask them to defer my application until next year - and if I do that will my having applied twice have a significant effect on that school's decision next year? Do schools require a good reason to allow you to defer - because I don't have one other than I am not satisfied with my options currently.

At most schools, if you defer, you commit to attend the next year. So reapply is TCR.

lbfunke

Postby lbfunke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Deferring is no big deal. Just ask the school (or schools) if they will allow it. Call and personally talk with the Dean of Admissions or the Asst. Dean. A "good" reason is subjective. I deferred and told the truth: I wasn't financially capable of attending at the time. If you aren't ready, you aren't ready. My school required me to send in a 3K seat deposit that will end up going toward my tuition this Fall when I finally go. You can defer at as many schools as you can afford to send seat deposits to. Though, be aware that seat deposits are not refundable should you matriculate at another school. There is no real obligation to attending a school from which you were granted a deferral. Good luck.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:54 pm

lbfunke wrote:Deferring is no big deal. Just ask the school (or schools) if they will allow it. Call and personally talk with the Dean of Admissions or the Asst. Dean. A "good" reason is subjective. I deferred and told the truth: I wasn't financially capable of attending at the time. If you aren't ready, you aren't ready. My school required me to send in a 3K seat deposit that will end up going toward my tuition this Fall when I finally go. You can defer at as many schools as you can afford to send seat deposits to. Though, be aware that seat deposits are not refundable should you matriculate at another school. There is no real obligation to attending a school from which you were granted a deferral. Good luck.

I don't know what schools you are talking about but most top schools ask you to sign a contract, most of them are binding.

lbfunke

Postby lbfunke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:
lbfunke wrote:Deferring is no big deal. Just ask the school (or schools) if they will allow it. Call and personally talk with the Dean of Admissions or the Asst. Dean. A "good" reason is subjective. I deferred and told the truth: I wasn't financially capable of attending at the time. If you aren't ready, you aren't ready. My school required me to send in a 3K seat deposit that will end up going toward my tuition this Fall when I finally go. You can defer at as many schools as you can afford to send seat deposits to. Though, be aware that seat deposits are not refundable should you matriculate at another school. There is no real obligation to attending a school from which you were granted a deferral. Good luck.

I don't know what schools you are talking about but most top schools ask you to sign a contract, most of them are binding.

I deferred at two schools and then still applied to other schools this past winter just in case there was something better. Obviously I can only go to one of the schools. I called the second one I deferred with, told them I wasn't coming and I lost my deposit. End of story. They didn't care.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm

lbfunke wrote:I deferred at two schools and then still applied to other schools this past winter just in case there was something better. Obviously I can only go to one of the schools. I called the second one I deferred with, told them I wasn't coming and I lost my deposit. End of story. They didn't care.

Return to “Law School FAQ”