Pass/Fail Study Abroad

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TunnelVision

Pass/Fail Study Abroad

Postby TunnelVision » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:31 pm

I'm going to be studying abroad in Australia this semester. I have heard horror stories about the grading scale. I will be taking 3 courses for a total of 12 credit hours (4 credits each). My LSAC GPA is currently 3.92, and my grades will transfer back. Would my transcript be viewed more negatively by law schools for taking those 3 courses (12 credits) pass/fail (assuming I pass) given that I have the option to have them graded? My sole purpose for taking them pass/fail isn't to slack; I really cannot afford to get anymore B's. I have never done pass/fail, and other than this semester, I will likely not do it again. Thanks.

cinephile

Re: Pass/Fail Study Abroad

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Take them pass/fail. Even though adcoms get the transcripts, they have no way of knowing that your undergrad transfers grades from study abroad -- for all they know, pass/fail was the only option.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:47 pm

take them pass/fail. I studied abroad for an entire year in Europe and all my grades were pass/fail. Trust me, study abroad will really suck for you if you are worried the entire time about grades transferring. Other country's educational systems just dont understand the concept of an "easy A"

TunnelVision

Postby TunnelVision » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, my university only allows study abroad students to take one course as pass/fail. I guess I will be working my ass off. Anybody have any recommendations for "easy" courses at the University of Sydney?

icpb

Postby icpb » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Students at my school can only transfer credits back pass/fail. That sucks for us, because we view study abroad as easy A's. I went on one to an European country myself, and got A+'s in all my classes. You may find classes at the University of Sydney easy for all you know.

HowdyYall wrote:take them pass/fail. I studied abroad for an entire year in Europe and all my grades were pass/fail. Trust me, study abroad will really suck for you if you are worried the entire time about grades transferring. Other country's educational systems just dont understand the concept of an "easy A"

Justin.S

Postby Justin.S » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:26 pm

OP, check with your university's study abroad and registrar's office...I'm pretty confident that your grades will transfer back as credits only. I studied abroad at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, AU last semester. Though I took the courses graded normally, the Australian scale simply doesn't equate to US figures. I received grades in my classes abroad, but only the credits transfer back.

TunnelVision

Postby TunnelVision » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:28 am

I wish that was the case, however, it is stated clearly by my university that the grades transfer back. HD/D=A, Credit=B, Pass=C

I have heard from many people that the grading is much harder there, and hardly anyone gets distinctions (A's).

Return to “Law School FAQ”