To those currently enrolled in law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jasonc.

Bronze

To those currently enrolled in law school

Post by jasonc. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:00 pm

How much have you been able to cut down Living Expenses (minus rent food) I see many schools showing living expenses around 16,000. this seems really high to me.(excluding rent in nyc/la for example.)

nealric

Re: To those currently enrolled in law school

Post by nealric » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:09 am

I graduated from law school, so I can chime in.

If you are willing to be frugal, you can certainly cut down on those expenses as a single person. Rent a place with a lot of room mates, cook your own food, don't blow money on frivolous things. I was always surprised by how many people blew money on expensive clothes/dinners/computers/apartments/trips in law school. Things get complicated with families though.

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:20 am

nealric wrote:I graduated from law school, so I can chime in.

If you are willing to be frugal, you can certainly cut down on those expenses as a single person. Rent a place with a lot of room mates, cook your own food, don't blow money on frivolous things. I was always surprised by how many people blew money on expensive clothes/dinners/computers/apartments/trips in law school. Things get complicated with families though.
All I know is the Starbucks on campus rakes in a killing. It's always the same people everyday that buy -- don't how most people afford it. Drinking water saves a ton. :)

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:07 pm

World B. Free wrote:
nealric wrote:I graduated from law school, so I can chime in.

All I know is the Starbucks on campus rakes in a killing. It's always the same people everyday that buy -- don't how most people afford it. Drinking water saves a ton. :)
Also, buying a $20 coffee maker if you need the damn caffeine.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:10 pm

androstan wrote:Also, buying a $20 coffee maker if you need the damn caffeine.

This. Also, making your own meals saves a ton. I make a big breakfast then bring snacks or leftovers for lunch and make dinner when I get home on most nights. The campus cafeterias are usually expensive and serve mediocre or crappy food. Going out will cut through your budget like nothing else. Also, 3 Buck Chuck keeps my alcoholism affordable.

grash

New

Post by grash » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:06 am

i spend about 1g a month on all living expenses, including rent, utilities, food, the occasional night on the town, and whatever small expenses crop up on occasion (minor car problems, tickets home, etc.). i live in a fairly cheap college town, and cook the majority of my own food. i'm comfortable living at this level of frugality, and i rather enjoy it, but i don't think it's possible to go much lower and not start to feel pretty destitute.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”