Question! Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Burke21

New

Question!

Post by Burke21 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 am

Hello everyone.

I am in my third year into my B.A. (Major in Philosophy, and maybe a minor in Political Science). I am just wondering what kinda grades/ LSAT/ resume info will I need to give me the best chance to getting into any of the following:

Stanford
Berkley
UCLA
Columbia
UFT (Canada)
NYU
Harvard, maybe.

I ask because I still have 16 classes left (which count towards my GPA), my school ranked top 10 in Undergrad (Canada), marks on a 4.33 GPA. I will more or less graduate between a 3.7-4.0 depending how well I do, and how many classes are counted towards my GPA. I have no take the LSAT yet, either will be this June, or October. I have quite a bit of experience in researching (for profs), help teaching, and tutoring, and work with politics (helping research, form policies) the basics. Maybe I'll do some form of traveling as well within the next two years, maybe learn a second language, however, I would love you all to give me some helpful, and honest advice.

I would LOVE to get into any one of these law schools, if I do not I'll probably think about doing my MA for a year, or work, not sure. Nonetheless, I want to go to one of these schools.

Thank You.

Bumi

Silver

Re: Question!

Post by Bumi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 am

Lawschoolpredictor.com
Lawschoolnumbers.com
Your best chance is 4.33/180/negotiate middle east peace
Barring that, do the best you can on the LSAT and in your GPA and then see how many schools you are over both medians for, in which case you're in good shape at those schools.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:17 am

if you go to their websites and search for "class of 2013 profile" or something similar you can usually find the median gpa and lsat of the most recent entering class.. id say try to make sure you are above both medians to be competitive

Burke21

New

Post by Burke21 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:19 am

Bumi wrote:Lawschoolpredictor.com
Lawschoolnumbers.com
Barring that, do the best you can on the LSAT and in your GPA and then see how many schools you are over both medians for, in which case you're in good shape at those schools.
Thank you for your advice. Obviously, if I had perfect stats across the board I wouldn't be asking such. Nonetheless, I'll do my best! I just have been looking at difference scales, and I did see someone get into Stanford with a 168 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA...quite shocking. So I just see that character does play a big role in some of these law schools. So to say that people have "no" chance is kinda inaccurate. They may have a slim chance, but still.

Also, what if you are right on the median, or on the median on say your LSAT and in the >25% GPA. You can still get in...correct, you just shouldn't have all the confidence that you will. Be reasonable.

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:22 am

You can also look for the entering class profile on each of their websites.
Columbia's for example: http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... assprofile

As you will see, they accepted 44 International students for class of 2013 so your numbers will need to be very competitive....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Burke21

New

Post by Burke21 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:26 am

dddhhh wrote:You can also look for the entering class profile on each of their websites.
Columbia's for example: http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... assprofile

As you will see, they accepted 44 International students for class of 2013 so your numbers will need to be very competitive....

Understandable, yes, well it seems it is going to be a complex list of things which will determine if I get in. Not just on my GPA/ LSAT.

Thanks.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:02 pm

Burke21 wrote:I just have been looking at difference scales, and I did see someone get into Stanford with a 168 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA...quite shocking. So I just see that character does play a big role in some of these law schools. So to say that people have "no" chance is kinda inaccurate. They may have a slim chance, but still.

Also, what if you are right on the median, or on the median on say your LSAT and in the >25% GPA. You can still get in...correct, you just shouldn't have all the confidence that you will. Be reasonable.
Saying that because one guy got in to S with a 168/3.5, it means that "character does play a big role," is a pretty ridiculous misunderstanding of probability. Keep in mind the other 1000 people with 168/3.5 who are going to Cornell or Iowa or Hastings.

Just go study your butt off for that LSAT.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:35 pm

A 4.3 and 180 will give you the best chance for all of them.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Burke21 wrote:
Bumi wrote:Lawschoolpredictor.com
Lawschoolnumbers.com
Thank you for your advice. Obviously, if I had perfect stats across the board I wouldn't be asking such. Nonetheless, I'll do my best! I just have been looking at difference scales, and I did see someone get into Stanford with a 168 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA...quite shocking. So I just see that character does play a big role in some of these law schools. So to say that people have "no" chance is kinda inaccurate. They may have a slim chance, but still.

Don't underestimate the difficulty of standing out among an applicant pool that is brimming with geniuses and overachievers.

Burke21

New

Post by Burke21 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Bumi wrote:
Burke21 wrote:I just have been looking at difference scales, and I did see someone get into Stanford with a 168 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA...quite shocking. So I just see that character does play a big role in some of these law schools. So to say that people have "no" chance is kinda inaccurate. They may have a slim chance, but still.

Saying that because one guy got in to S with a 168/3.5, it means that "character does play a big role," is a pretty ridiculous misunderstanding of probability. Keep in mind the other 1000 people with 168/3.5 who are going to Cornell or Iowa or Hastings.

Just go study your butt off for that LSAT.

Alright, thank you for your advice. I agree, and I do not want to take the probability lightly. Getting into law school is stressful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”