Part-Time Programs

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LS-Hopeful

Part-Time Programs

Postby LS-Hopeful » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:27 am

I am a CPA and would like to continue to work at my current job while attending law school part-time. Will I have the same opportunities as the full-time students come OCI?

nealric

Re: Part-Time Programs

Postby nealric » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:32 pm

Yes, although the only PT programs that have much of an OCI are Georgetown and Fordham.

LS-Hopeful

Postby LS-Hopeful » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:05 pm

nealric wrote:Yes, although the only PT programs that have much of an OCI are Georgetown and Fordham.

Does that mean that a part-timer would not be able to apply for the same interviews as the full-timers at schools with part time programs other than Georgetown and Fordham?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Where do you work now?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Where is your current job ? Seems as if that's important since you want to continue working there during law school ?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm going the part-time route, too. But I'm currently working in law and continuing to search for a better position in law. I think you need to use the 4 years in school to gain legal work experience. That way, you can compete with your peers, who gained internships during school. Also, PT programs will continue gaining respect. As the investment aspect of law school continues to weigh on people's shoulders, more people will consider PT programs. Hiring firms will not look down on you for recognizing the need to earn income while in school. If anything, they will probably admire it.

While GULC, GW, and Fordham have the best PT programs, there are some decent schools offering in-state tuition: Maryland, George Mason, Temple, and Rutgers. These are all good regional schools, with huge alumni bases.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Does that mean that a part-timer would not be able to apply for the same interviews as the full-timers at schools with part time programs other than Georgetown and Fordham?

At least at Georgetown, part-timers can apply for the same interviews. They are viewed as equivalent to the FT students.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Quick Question to current PTers: is it tough to look for a job and do 1L pt, as in more difficult than 1L ft? I really wanna do pt and work but the barrier seem to be that my local LS doesn't offer a pt program

LS-Hopeful

Postby LS-Hopeful » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Where is your current job ? Seems as if that's important since you want to continue working there during law school ?

I'm in Finance at Intel. The pay, flexibility and satisfaction I have working there makes it really hard to just leave for 3 years with no income. I realize that a good job after LS will be worth the opportunity cost, but I wouldn't want to compromise by going PT and subsequently losing out on good OCIs

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:17 pm

I don't know about Fordham, but GULC and GWU are both very friendly toward PT-FT migration, at least between the 2nd and 3rd years. At GULC you have to pay back the difference between PT and FT and take a summer course to get up to speed and I believe you just have to pay for a summer course for GWU. That way you can try out the PT school, FT work arrangement for a semester to see if it works for you. As far as I am aware, once you switch to FT it's as if you were always FT concerning OCI.

Return to “Law School FAQ”