iPad for Law School?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Hippononymous

Re: iPad for Law School?

Postby Hippononymous » Mon May 02, 2011 1:14 am

Oh yeah. I forgot about The Onion app.

haus

Postby haus » Mon May 02, 2011 1:41 am

Hippononymous wrote:...so long as you don't want to do anything useful, like, say, ASP.net...

It seems that you do not understand the meaning of the word 'useful'.

mt1042

Postby mt1042 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:43 am

0L here.

I received an iPad as a gift and have used it as a laptop replacement during the last year of my masters. Most of my readings are either available via .PDF or can be scanned using the "bookeye" scanner in the school's library, though I am sure those are not available everywhere. The machine allows me to scan 50 pages in under 5-6 minutes. The iPad is great for keeping all my readings together. When writing papers I just scan pertinent information from texts I need and do not have to worry about lugging around books or articles.

I was thinking about downloading a hand written note taking app and experimenting with it this summer before I start as a 1L this fall. I take notes w/ my finger in an app called "Jot" and it has worked out alright, I think with a stylus it would work very well for me.

The iPad has obvious limitations and is not a true laptop replacement, however if someone
has scanning technology readily available and wants the iPad to work in law school then I am sure it would not be a problem, though it still might not be ideal.

PS: Circus Ponies has their notebook app out for the iPad. I haven't tried it but the reviews aren't that encouraging. That said in six months it might be a great app to have!

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Mon May 02, 2011 8:05 am

haus wrote:
Hippononymous wrote:...so long as you don't want to do anything useful, like, say, ASP.net...

It seems that you do not understand the meaning of the word 'useful'.

It seems that you do not understand the meaning of the word 'facetious'.

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon May 02, 2011 9:44 am

all the executives in my office have them for PDF markup and reviewing documents in meetings. and i work in natural gas, so it's not like we are all early adopters with cool haircuts or anything.

anyway, i think that it could at least be valuable post-law school, so it wouldn't be a bad thing to adopt now for free.

handlesthetruth

Postby handlesthetruth » Mon May 02, 2011 9:59 am

bk1 wrote:
bigjinjapan wrote:
bk1 wrote:There's a search function at the bottom of the page.

the search function on these forums is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles. I'm crowdsourcing, baby~

No, you're being lazy.

And youre being a sour patch per usual

mt1042

Postby mt1042 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:03 am

upfish wrote:... i work in natural gas, so it's not like we are all early adopters with cool haircuts or anything.

Made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

krepitch

Postby krepitch » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Jennypenny wrote:I was thinking about getting an ipad for law school. Right now I'm getting my Master's degree in Accounting emphasis in Tax. We have a law textbook for all my tax classes and it is huge! I carry it in my arms because if I put it in my backpack, my back really hurts. One of my friends in class uses an ipad, and it looks really helpful. We have to bring the Internal Revenue Code to class as well, and it is huge, too. We all made copies of the internal revenue code segregated by type of entity (partnership tax, corporate tax, individual, estate tax) so we don't have to carry the whole thing to just partnership class. My friend can look up random cases and the Internal Revenue Code without lugging the huge book or even just the partnership section. In law school, there's much more than the I.R.C. to reference. I googled law school apps, and there's a Black Law Dictionary app, LexisNexis app, and a free app called LawStack that has "the Constitution, Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure, and much more". I know in tax class you have to have the IRC. Wouldn't you need to have those procedure rules, too in law school? Having LexisNexis app would be really cool, too. Has anyone seen the cool law school apps? What do you think of them?

This is the quality level you'll get with the LexisNexis Q&A Series. :?

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Having had an iPad in law school for a little while now, I can't say it's really an invaluable tool. Two things I do really like are

1) Westlaw Next
2) MS One Note

Both are free, and sync to your accounts so any work you do is reflected anywhere else you access these. I do know people who use their iPads exclusively for note taking and productivity, but if choosing between a laptop and an iPad I'd take a laptop every time.

Return to “Law School FAQ”