The scambloggers are right.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2700
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:10 pm

WinterIsComing wrote:These topics are a joke The fear mongering that the bloggers foment would help if people like the OP and other "OMG no jobz!" people took the message to heart, and instead of posting here, they made the wise decision--to not attend law school.

The bottom 60% of students at every law school, maybe deeper in lower tier schools, do not merit jobs. They went to law school out of confusion or under the false belief that a degree means you get a job or, worse, they thought they could hack it but couldn't. A degree does NOT mean a job, and that is true in every single field. If you averaged the incoming class size for law schools, I'm guessing it hits around 215 or so people for each of over 100 institutions. Not accounting for dropouts and those who wise up in the process or experience some self-discovery, that is around 21,500 potential, incoming lawyers. The job market supply for that number does not exist on a yearly basis. Demand exceeds supply here. Therefore, the obvious result produces a large portion of people out their complaining. The vituperative remarks of self-entitled prats do not deserve publicity for any other means than to dissuade those ignorant enough not to research law school or who believe a degree demands reward.

Though, I wonder how the retirement of Baby Boomers will affect this number, but it is hard to gauge considering there are successful 80 year old lawyers. Whole different stream of thought there.

It's sad these posts keep appearing.


Any self-important jackass with a thesaurus can blow erudite-sounding ignorant overgeneralizations out of his ass.

WinterIsComing
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby WinterIsComing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:48 pm

.
Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:54 pm

@WinterIsComing: I would blame the fact that you don't have a job on your poor social skills making you a horrible interviewer. Them's the breaks.

WinterIsComing
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby WinterIsComing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:56 pm

.
Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:58 pm

WinterIsComing wrote:I'm guessing this is a tl;dr post.


I read it. You typing indicates that you're probably a mouthbreather.

Normal people have the ability to carry on normal conversations, an ability which you lack.

WinterIsComing
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby WinterIsComing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 pm

.
Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Sure hope your actual personality doesn't reflect how you act on here, WinterIsComing. Pretty dumb shit to say, IMO.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:38 pm

I think he's a 0L. In which case he just massively fucking jinxed himself.

Also he was on a reality tv show which means he is trashy as fuck.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:In which case he just massively fucking jinxed himself.



:lol:

so true.

WinterIsComing
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby WinterIsComing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 pm

.
Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:00 pm

WinterIsComing wrote:But are you defending that everyone who goes to law school deserves a job?


Surely, there is middle ground between asserting that and claiming that 60 percent of students at any given LS do not deserve a job.

Also, I cannot think of a single classmate that doesn't 'deserve' a job. If there's anything I've been consistently impressed by in LS, it's my classmates' intelligence and drive. They are pretty much all highly competent people.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:06 pm

WinterIsComing wrote:
traehekat wrote:Sure hope your actual personality doesn't reflect how you act on here, WinterIsComing. Pretty dumb shit to say, IMO.


Which part?


All of the above?

Get to law school, meet your classmates, take some exams, and then think about what you said again.

WinterIsComing
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby WinterIsComing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:11 pm

.
Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:21 pm

WinterIsComing wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
WinterIsComing wrote:But are you defending that everyone who goes to law school deserves a job?


Surely, there is middle ground between asserting that and claiming that 60 percent of students at any given LS do not deserve a job.

Also, I cannot think of a single classmate that doesn't 'deserve' a job. If there's anything I've been consistently impressed by in LS, it's my classmates' intelligence and drive. They are pretty much all highly competent people.


My use of deserve a job is more in regard to a sense entitlement that because they completed their J.D they deserve a job. It's the fact that the numbers cannot support 60% of people from every law school. If 15,000 legal jobs are dropped in the course of a year or more, that's more or less equivalent to over half of the incoming freshmen for a given year at the top 100 institutions.


My perspective may be skewed by the caliber of the LS I attend, but I really disagree that it's entitled to hope that a JD leads to a job after you've booked a T6 acceptance, even if you don't wind up in the top third at the end of 1L.

Of course there aren't enough jobs to go around. However, the fact that legal market has gone down the drain does not necessitate the conclusion that a median HLS student doesn't 'deserve' a job. Perhaps you should pick better language.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby Unemployed » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 pm

dresden doll wrote:
WinterIsComing wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
WinterIsComing wrote:But are you defending that everyone who goes to law school deserves a job?


Surely, there is middle ground between asserting that and claiming that 60 percent of students at any given LS do not deserve a job.

Also, I cannot think of a single classmate that doesn't 'deserve' a job. If there's anything I've been consistently impressed by in LS, it's my classmates' intelligence and drive. They are pretty much all highly competent people.


My use of deserve a job is more in regard to a sense entitlement that because they completed their J.D they deserve a job. It's the fact that the numbers cannot support 60% of people from every law school. If 15,000 legal jobs are dropped in the course of a year or more, that's more or less equivalent to over half of the incoming freshmen for a given year at the top 100 institutions.


My perspective may be skewed by the caliber of the LS I attend, but I really disagree that it's entitled to hope that a JD leads to a job after you've booked a T6 acceptance, even if you don't wind up in the top third at the end of 1L.

Of course there aren't enough jobs to go around. However, the fact that legal market has gone down the drain does not necessitate the conclusion that a median HLS student doesn't 'deserve' a job. Perhaps you should pick better language.


+1, seriously. That post is one of the most inept attempts at expressing a simple (and relatively benign) idea.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Unemployed wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
My use of deserve a job is more in regard to a sense entitlement that because they completed their J.D they deserve a job. It's the fact that the numbers cannot support 60% of people from every law school. If 15,000 legal jobs are dropped in the course of a year or more, that's more or less equivalent to over half of the incoming freshmen for a given year at the top 100 institutions.


My perspective may be skewed by the caliber of the LS I attend, but I really disagree that it's entitled to hope that a JD leads to a job after you've booked a T6 acceptance, even if you don't wind up in the top third at the end of 1L.

Of course there aren't enough jobs to go around. However, the fact that legal market has gone down the drain does not necessitate the conclusion that a median HLS student doesn't 'deserve' a job. Perhaps you should pick better language.


+1, seriously. That post is one of the most inept attempts at expressing a simple (and relatively benign) idea.[/quote]

Ugh, that reminds me I never responded to your pm. Sorry. :(

WinterIsComing
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby WinterIsComing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 pm

.
Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby Unemployed » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:31 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

My perspective may be skewed by the caliber of the LS I attend, but I really disagree that it's entitled to hope that a JD leads to a job after you've booked a T6 acceptance, even if you don't wind up in the top third at the end of 1L.

Of course there aren't enough jobs to go around. However, the fact that legal market has gone down the drain does not necessitate the conclusion that a median HLS student doesn't 'deserve' a job. Perhaps you should pick better language.


+1, seriously. That post is one of the most inept attempts at expressing a simple (and relatively benign) idea.


Ugh, that reminds me I never responded to your pm. Sorry. :(


So how are you doing? :mrgreen:

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2398
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby nealric » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 pm

I am a 0L. I'm also a realist. If I don't do well in law school, comparatively, how can I leave it expecting a job? I can't. Talk to me in three years, haha, or maybe even after my cycle, and we'll see if I jinxed myself. Who knows. But are you defending that everyone who goes to law school deserves a job?


I'm a practicing attorney. I also think you have no idea what you are talking about.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:56 pm

Unemployed wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
+1, seriously. That post is one of the most inept attempts at expressing a simple (and relatively benign) idea.


Ugh, that reminds me I never responded to your pm. Sorry. :(


So how are you doing? :mrgreen:

I'll send you a pm when I'm off my iPhone so we don't derail the thread.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby dood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 pm

nealric wrote:
I am a 0L. I'm also a realist. If I don't do well in law school, comparatively, how can I leave it expecting a job? I can't. Talk to me in three years, haha, or maybe even after my cycle, and we'll see if I jinxed myself. Who knows. But are you defending that everyone who goes to law school deserves a job?


I'm a practicing attorney. I also think you have no idea what you are talking about.


wat u doing on this website bro

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2700
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby androstan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:25 am

WinterIsComing wrote:
androstan wrote:Any self-important jackass with a thesaurus can blow erudite-sounding ignorant overgeneralizations out of his ass.


I admit it comes off harsh, but the numbers tell the truth. By "do not merit jobs," I refer to several reasons that do not strictly address intelligence, the self-entitled notion that they deserve a job simply because they received a degree as later mentioned tends to be the main one.


You have no idea who merits a job and who doesn't. Entitled, unentitled, smart, stupid, etc. You made a sweeping statement about tens of thousands of individuals you have never met and know nothing about other than their class rank at graduation. Don't merit jobs? They either got one or they didn't. Each hiring committee decides whether they think that individual merits that particular job or not. You have no idea if they really did.

WinterIsComing wrote:I am, however, confused as to why you think the demand for legal jobs exceeding the supply of legal jobs is that an over generalization.


I take that back, I misunderstood you to be saying that the demand for legal services outstripped their supply.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:38 am

ITT: a 0L argues with 1Ls, 2Ls, and graduates about how easy it is to do well in law school, and how if you can't do well you don't "deserve" a job... GTFO.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 am

Desert Fox wrote:Yea bro, take out 200K at Tulane, it'll practically pay itself off.

Sup rayiner.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:41 am

mistergoft wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea bro, take out 200K at Tulane, it'll practically pay itself off.

Sup rayiner.


I know rayiner IRL he's a cool dude.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: texasellewoods and 2 guests