The scambloggers are right. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
NoJob

Bronze

The scambloggers are right.

Post by NoJob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:45 pm

ColomboHeat

New

Re: The scambloggers are right.

Post by ColomboHeat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Posted Feb 1, 2011 2:40 AM CST

was this article written from a time machine?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:51 pm

ColomboHeat wrote:
Posted Feb 1, 2011 2:40 AM CST

was this article written from a time machine?
lulz

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:54 pm

If you can't get into a t18 school you better be going for free.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you can't get into a t18 school you better be going for free.
Feeling generous today are we?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you can't get into a t18 school you better be going for free.
I would say HYS instead. And, even HYS people are struggling.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:04 pm

bk187 wrote:
UCLA, USC, and Vandy are iffy but are within the realm of "not totally fucked."
NoJob wrote:
Depends on the level of risk one is willing to take. Bottom t14 has decent odds of getting you big law, fed gov, or something worthwhile.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:07 pm

wow, groundbreaking insight. This sure hasn't been said before.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:14 pm

dresden doll wrote:wow, groundbreaking insight. This sure hasn't been said before.
Their message is getting validation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:20 pm

NoJob wrote:
dresden doll wrote:wow, groundbreaking insight. This sure hasn't been said before.
Well, no kidding. Not that I needed ABA to confirm anything for me - I go to a T6 and have classmates without jobs.

My point is that you're not telling us anything new. Anyone with half a brain has known that economy has gone down the drain for a little while now.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:23 pm

dresden doll wrote:
NoJob wrote:
Well, no kidding. Not that I needed ABA to confirm anything for me - I go to a T6 and have classmates without jobs.

My point is that you're not telling us anything new. Anyone with half a brain has known that economy has gone down the drain for a little while now.
I think you are missing the point. It is not the economy. The legal services industry is and has been in a state of contraction since before the recession. And, things will only get worse with more and more legal outsourcing.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:26 pm

NoJob wrote: I think you are missing the point. It is not the economy. The legal services industry is and has been in a state of contraction since before the recession. And, things will only get worse with more and more legal outsourcing.
The big firms were doing their all time best in 2007. Shit law has always(well a long time at least) been shit law and shall always be.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
NoJob wrote: I think you are missing the point. It is not the economy. The legal services industry is and has been in a state of contraction since before the recession. And, things will only get worse with more and more legal outsourcing.
The big firms were doing their all time best in 2007. Shit law has always(well a long time at least) been shit law and shall always be.
So, you're saying that the shitlaw market is gonna be okay? DWIdefensesecure?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Marionberry wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
So, you're saying that the shitlaw market is gonna be okay? DWIdefensesecure?
Yea bro, take out 200K at Tulane, it'll practically pay itself off.

WinterIsComing

New

Post by WinterIsComing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:49 pm

WinterIsComing wrote:These topics are a joke The fear mongering that the bloggers foment would help if people like the OP and other "OMG no jobz!" people took the message to heart, and instead of posting here, they made the wise decision--to not attend law school.

The bottom 60% of students at every law school, maybe deeper in lower tier schools, do not merit jobs. They went to law school out of confusion or under the false belief that a degree means you get a job or, worse, they thought they could hack it but couldn't. A degree does NOT mean a job, and that is true in every single field. If you averaged the incoming class size for law schools, I'm guessing it hits around 215 or so people for each of over 100 institutions. Not accounting for dropouts and those who wise up in the process or experience some self-discovery, that is around 21,500 potential, incoming lawyers. The job market supply for that number does not exist on a yearly basis. Demand exceeds supply here. Therefore, the obvious result produces a large portion of people out their complaining. The vituperative remarks of self-entitled prats do not deserve publicity for any other means than to dissuade those ignorant enough not to research law school or who believe a degree demands reward.

Though, I wonder how the retirement of Baby Boomers will affect this number, but it is hard to gauge considering there are successful 80 year old lawyers. Whole different stream of thought there.

It's sad these posts keep appearing.
The bolded is retarded.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:50 pm

WinterIsComing wrote:These topics are a joke The fear mongering that the bloggers foment would help if people like the OP and other "OMG no jobz!" people took the message to heart, and instead of posting here, they made the wise decision--to not attend law school.

The bottom 60% of students at every law school, maybe deeper in lower tier schools, do not merit jobs. They went to law school out of confusion or under the false belief that a degree means you get a job or, worse, they thought they could hack it but couldn't. A degree does NOT mean a job, and that is true in every single field. If you averaged the incoming class size for law schools, I'm guessing it hits around 215 or so people for each of over 100 institutions. Not accounting for dropouts and those who wise up in the process or experience some self-discovery, that is around 21,500 potential, incoming lawyers. The job market supply for that number does not exist on a yearly basis. Demand exceeds supply here. Therefore, the obvious result produces a large portion of people out their complaining. The vituperative remarks of self-entitled prats do not deserve publicity for any other means than to dissuade those ignorant enough not to research law school or who believe a degree demands reward.

Though, I wonder how the retirement of Baby Boomers will affect this number, but it is hard to gauge considering there are successful 80 year old lawyers. Whole different stream of thought there.

story bro

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk187 wrote:
UCLA, USC, and Vandy are iffy but are within the realm of "not totally fucked."
NoJob wrote:
Depends on the level of risk one is willing to take. Bottom t14 has decent odds of getting you big law, fed gov, or something worthwhile.
You've become so much more optimistic/congenial (relatively speaking) now that you've got decent grades under your belt. :lol:

WinterIsComing

New

Post by WinterIsComing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:55 pm

34 percent of starting salaries ranged between $40,000 and $65,000
Assuming most of the rest are above that range, this is actually better than I thought.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:55 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
You've become so much more optimistic/congenial (relatively speaking) now that you've got decent grades under your belt. :lol:
Not really. Probably less than a third of people at NU get perma fucked by law school. It's probably more like 50% at UCLA. Though maybe I'm overestimating how good UCLA has been doing.

In fact since grades I feel like it's probably more risky. I've seen some smart people who absolutely fucking gunned 1L end up well below median. It's a crap shoot. Not that it's arbitrary, just that it involves some sort of natural talent, and studying right for how you work bets. Neither can be known for 1L.

I certainly wouldn't go to a law school that you wouldn't be comfortable being at the bottom third mark at.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:56 pm

WinterIsComing wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

The bolded is retarded.
I was trying to be generous.
I mean the other way. Plenty of smart, hard working people end up below median. A lot of them will make better lawyers than people in the top half. Law exams are a peculiar way to judge people.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:57 pm

dresden doll wrote:
NoJob wrote:

THANK YOU

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

The bolded is retarded.
Lol hes clearly in the top 40% rofl...

Edited to add:
not that theres anything wrong with that... its just the only justification I can see for his completely arbitrary #.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:07 pm

I like this
WinterIsComing wrote:out their complaining
and this
WinterIsComing wrote:vituperative
in the same post.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!