Pets in law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Smitten

New

Re: Pets in law school

Post by Smitten » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:01 am

ArchRoark wrote:
Marionberry wrote:You might want to check out the Gables at City Vista in DC. It's near the LS and nice, and they don't even charge a pet fee. I don't remember seeing anything about breed restrictions, though I don't know. I almost think you could get away with just listing him as a mix, as he doesn't look that pittish(in that pic, at least), and I don't know how vigilant they are about enforcing their restrictions.
TBH, I don't even know what he is for sure. People always just tell me he is a pitt/mastiff mix, so that is what I go with. I tried to look online awhile back for pics of a similar dog. I found this pic of a Mastiff/Bulldog mix off some adoption/breed info website... it looks eerily similar to my dog.

Thanks for the apartment tip, I'll definitely check it out. Are you headed up there for an ASW?

EDIT: To get this back on topic, I want to +1 everything MarrionBerry said in his post on the first page. I would hope everyone realizes that... but they are quite the commitment. You can't just skip feeding/walking them because you want/need to stay in the library for a couple more hours. Come OCI time and your (hopefully) flying around the country for callbacks, who is going to take care of him? etc etc While it is certainly feasible, I personally wouldn't get a puppy during my law school years.
Wow, what a good-lookin' dog! :D I had a dog that looked very similar who was a pitt/rottweiler/mastiff mix. He was huge but a big old love ball. And super smart!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:21 am

alirod12 wrote:
czelede wrote: For the large majority of the population, having to make a commitment to your priorities and having to make serious sacrifices to keep that commitment != "not hard at all". To say it isn't work is a complete misrepresentation. This isn't about having priorities, it's about the fact that making sacrifices for your priorities REQUIRES work, and if you can't make those sacrifices you shouldn't have a dog - so why would you tell people that it ISN'T work? Training it and socializing it aside, the simple fact is that your dog needs to be exercised and walked regardless of your happy hour/social networking event, sinus infection, sleep deprivation, finals, or three straight days of subzero ice-rain. They are 100% worth it, but it's not always easy. And not every dog is going to be as easy to take care of as the next one. Your advice is both wrong and perfectly embodies the mindset of thousands of owners that end up giving up their dog when, a year later, it was just too hard to maintain those priorities.

But if you'd like to settle this argument by whipping it out over reading comprehension, I'll go get my ruler and we can see whose number is bigger.
This post is about having a dog in law school, not having a dog in general. So if people are asking about whether it is hard to have a dog in law school, they have already considered having a dog outside of it, and most likely understand what goes into it.

I'm not sure how my advice embodies the mindset of owners who give up their dogs. This site is about opinions, and when I say "it's not hard work at all", that is clearly my opinion, and I did not present it as a fact. My dog is in peak condition. He runs or swims or plays with other dogs mutliple times a day, every day. He is fully intact, but perfectly socialized. He is fully obedience trained, on and off leash, with perfect recall and a Schutzund heel to finish. He is a fed on a diet of grain free kibble mixed with raw meat, raw eggs, vegetables, cottage cheese, and pureed pumpkin (for those who can't read between the lines, a "time-consuming" diet). I'm not the type of owner who chucks a dog in a backyard for 18 hours a day and calls it easy. Like people often say, if you love what you do, it isn't work.

Again, this I why I mentioned "priorities" in my subsequent post. I wasn't on here posting "OMGOMGOMG def get a dog OMGOMGOMG." My biggest problem on this forum is that the "Top Law Schools" doesn't imply "Top Law Students".

And yeah, feel free to get out that ruler. Unless you got -0, you won't out measure me.
I think you grossly underestimate just how much more responsible the "applying to law school" crowd is than the average Joe. Many people "consider" what goes into owning a dog (walking and feeding, maybe socializing), but living out the day-to-day when you have the pressure of classes and money and grades is a different story. Obviously you've done your research, but the stark reality of it is that most people are NOT like you in their approach. Don't assume that the commonality of law school precludes them from thinking more like that general populous than you when it comes to this particular subject.

When I said that your advice "embodies the mindset of irresponsible owners", I wasn't trying to imply that you were one. Just that many irresponsible owners decide to get a dog while watching their friends exalt the benefits of having one (which I do) and are subsequently misled into underestimating just how much work is required. The idea that "it isn't hard work at all" because you'll love the dog is a very common misconception that ends up screwing over the dogs many new owners bring home, in hopes of twilight evening walks and lazy naps by a fireplace or something.

For the record, picking up feces twice a day? Walking my dog when I want to drop down dead in my bed? Being pelted with a blizzard for an hour a day? It fucking sucks. I do it because I love her and prioritize her well-being over my comfort, not because I love doing it. Maybe you'll say that if I really loved my dog I would not find handling her excrement to be work, and maybe we can agree to disagree on that.

The bottom line is that dogs, like all good things, require dedication, time, sacrifice, and commitment - and I'm sure you've given your dog all of those, and I can see from your statements that it was easy for you to do so - but to most people, those four things ARE hard work. To say that they aren't, without preface that this is specific to your case or your opinion, is misleading.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:25 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Ha, yah they are a super active breed. But they do chill out eventually! Its truly a shame the bad rap the breed gets. Denver still has a complete ban on them. He really is the smartest sweetest dog I have ever owned.
People read a few biased articles and in the paper, and think they know all there is to know. But those of us that actually spend time with them know how sweet they are. I volunteer at a shelter and work with a lot of different breeds, and pits are my favorite. A few weeks ago I took out a pit who, before he was rescued, spent his life trapped in a carrier when he was not being fought. As soon as I sat down, he jumped in my lap and curled up.
Here are before and after photos:
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
Anyway, good luck to you - I hope you find a place. Maybe if you contact the local pit rescue group, if there is one, they could give you advice on where to look.

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 pm

^^^ That post made me genuinely happy.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:02 pm

I took a tour of a t30 law school and didn't see any dogs or cats in any of the classes i went to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:02 pm

great job sarahh. the world needs more people like yourself :)

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:04 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:I took a tour of a t30 law school and didn't see any dogs or cats in any of the classes i went to.
are you british, by any chance?

LargeHuman

New

Post by LargeHuman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20 pm

rebexness wrote:
ArchRoark wrote: TBH, I don't even know what he is for sure. People always just tell me he is a pitt/mastiff mix, so that is what I go with. I tried to look online awhile back for pics of a similar dog. I found this pic of a Mastiff/Bulldog mix off some adoption/breed info website... it looks eerily similar to my dog.
You could probably get away with calling him a Rhodesian mix...he kind of looks it, and it doesn't have the connotations of a "guard" type.
+1 this. He definitely looks like a pit/rhodesian mix, very handsome. My family used to breed ridgebacks, they're the best dogs.

I'll be bringing my hyperactive lakeland terrier with me. I take him on runs of 5-6 miles without tiring him out, and he's only a 15 pound dog. I guess the key will just be setting aside some time to exercise with him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”