Bachelor's in Biology?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
UCSD1984
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby UCSD1984 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 pm

"Patent Prosecution is pretty much out the window for someone who has less than a Master's (or even PhD) in Biology/Life Sciences." (Not word for word quote, but I'm sure the majority of you will agree that this is the consensus).

Question is, what about Patent Litigation at a Biotech firm? Litigation wouldn't require taking/passing the Patent Bar, but wouldn't it be recommended? Would a B.S. in Biology help in this field? Any input is appreciated, thanks fellers.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:21 pm

most people I know in the Biology field are married

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm not totally sure, but you certainly aren't IP Secure. You are probably as employable as any law student. Which means good grades from a top school ITE.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby flcath » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm biochem, which is considered a little stronger than bio, and my best opportunities will be non-IP.

Sure wish I'd done Chem E / EE... I went up through Calc 3 and diff E's, too... tisk, tisk...

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:33 pm

The one upside is you can do loyola patent fair. Which means 30 preselect chances in addition to OCI. I'd use them even if it's low probability.

UCSD1984
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby UCSD1984 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Desert Fox, can you elaborate on this? Where could I find more information?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:58 pm

UCSD1984 wrote:Desert Fox, can you elaborate on this? Where could I find more information?


http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... sQ&cad=rja

TL;DR; huge career fair for patent people.

UCSD1984
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby UCSD1984 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm sorry man, but what does TL;DR stand for? Thanks again for your help brother.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:08 pm

UCSD1984 wrote:I'm sorry man, but what does TL;DR stand for? Thanks again for your help brother.



Too long didn't read, but it basically means "in summary."

Don't go to law school assuming you can get an IP job, or relying on an IP boost to help in employment. But the loyola program will give you a shot at IP without risking your OCI at your school.

UCSD1984
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby UCSD1984 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:16 pm

I understand, and I'm definitely not setting myself up for disappointment. Perhaps I was about a month ago, prior to discovering this forum. Since then, I've been stalking around random threads in order to obtain a more realistic view of what my future can hold for me after Law School. Not only will I <probably> be going to a Tier4, my UG credentials are very minimal as you can see (only a B.S.). Nonetheless, if there's any hope that I can utilize my interest in Biology/Biotech, I'll still keep it in mind. Thank you again for this info.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 pm

UCSD1984 wrote:I understand, and I'm definitely not setting myself up for disappointment. Perhaps I was about a month ago, prior to discovering this forum. Since then, I've been stalking around random threads in order to obtain a more realistic view of what my future can hold for me after Law School. Not only will I <probably> be going to a Tier4, my UG credentials are very minimal as you can see (only a B.S.). Nonetheless, if there's any hope that I can utilize my interest in Biology/Biotech, I'll still keep it in mind. Thank you again for this info.


Well going to a T4 means you just aren't going to get an IP lit job.

I wouldn't go to law school if I were you.

UCSD1984
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby UCSD1984 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 pm

The Tier4 school I mentioned is Cal Western in San Diego. I think that even though it is a Tier4, it has a large impact on the Law Market in San Diego, since most of the successful Lawyers and Judges in San Diego graduated from Cal Western. There seems to be a large "network" of Cal Western graduates in San Diego and I believe they control most of the Law Market even in comparison to USD. Also, Cal Western always seems to have a higher Bar passage rate than USD, even though USD is a Tier2. I'm sure this information is fairly elementary to anyone who is a regular on these forums, but my point is I think Cal Western has more of an impact in its local market than do any other schools in San Diego, regardless of it being a Tier4.

Again, any input you have on what I say is appreciated.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:35 pm

UCSD1984 wrote:The Tier4 school I mentioned is Cal Western in San Diego. I think that even though it is a Tier4, it has a large impact on the Law Market in San Diego, since most of the successful Lawyers and Judges in San Diego graduated from Cal Western. There seems to be a large "network" of Cal Western graduates in San Diego and I believe they control most of the Law Market even in comparison to USD. Also, Cal Western always seems to have a higher Bar passage rate than USD, even though USD is a Tier2. I'm sure this information is fairly elementary to anyone who is a regular on these forums, but my point is I think Cal Western has more of an impact in its local market than do any other schools in San Diego, regardless of it being a Tier4.

Again, any input you have on what I say is appreciated.


You better go tuition free.

UCSD1984
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby UCSD1984 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:39 pm

If I break a 160 on the LSAT, I'm almost positive it'll be a full ride if not damn near close. Not to mention, I think I can get to the brinks of 170 if I stop screwing around.

Also, what's your opinion on the vague info I posted about Cal Western? You seem like an intelligible man, I'd love to hear your perspective/argument against or for what I stated. Thanks!

User avatar
MrSparkle
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Bachelor's in Biology?

Postby MrSparkle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 am

FWIW I have a friend who did BioE from one of the top engineering schools in the country (think MIT/Caltech level), worked for a biotech firm a couple of years, is in a T14 law school, and even then is pretty sure she won't get anything bio or patent related. She also mentioned the "at least a master's" for bio, esp for patent.

T4 schools are going to be pretty local, but even still you are competing against others who when to "better" schools, and others who have higher law GPAs than you. Do nothing but your best on the LSAT if you really want $$$ and then graduate in the top 10%.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests