Vacation Question

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Upton Sinclair

Vacation Question

Postby Upton Sinclair » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:11 pm

I started a new job in December and was given 10 vacation days and 7 personal days. None of these days roll over (use them or lose them). Obviously, I will be leaving before school starts this fall. Don't plan on using personal days, but was wondering what everyone thought about how many vacation days would be appropriate to use? I want to be able to leave on good terms and get future recommendations, etc., however the job is soul crushing and I want to be here as little as possible. Thoughts?

P.S. - They have no idea I intend to leave, of course.

stintez

Re: Vacation Question

Postby stintez » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:12 pm

all 10 baby!!!!

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:18 pm

There's a good chance they'll be bitter about you quitting to go to law school no matter what you do. You obviously understand your situation better than I do, but if that's the case then you're probably already s.o.l. with future recommendations. So why not take what you can get before you burn the bridges?

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:21 pm

they're your days - use them! maybe not all 10 in the month you plan to leave, but those days are part of your pay so i say use them as you want...
and they're gonna feel however they feel about you leaving regardless would be my bet, so don't waste your benefits hoping they'll love you more for it.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:24 pm

As the previous poster said, they are part of your pay. Would you take a pay cut to make them feel better about you leaving? Not using your vacation days is the same thing.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Just make sure you use them before you give your 2 week notice. Most places don't allow you to use vacation after you give them notice.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:29 pm

The job has a good bit of responsibility, but I'm not getting paid a great deal for my trouble. I assume they know I'm not going to be here forever, especially ITE. I wasn't planning on telling them I was leaving for law school, I was just going to say I found a great opportunity, if that makes a difference.

Just don't want it to look premeditated that I was going to leave (even though it certainly is).

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:The job has a good bit of responsibility, but I'm not getting paid a great deal for my trouble. I assume they know I'm not going to be here forever, especially ITE. I wasn't planning on telling them I was leaving for law school, I was just going to say I found a great opportunity, if that makes a difference.

Just don't want it to look premeditated that I was going to leave (even though it certainly is).

Haha this sounds exactly like where I work. I could probably case less about burning this bridge. Even my old lead said this job is basically a stepping stone to a better job.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:25 pm

Yeah, honestly this place isn't a connection I'm going to need, I just want to make sure I'll be OK if future legal employers come calling.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:28 pm

I discussed it with my employer ahead of time and got them to award me my vacation starting the day after my last workday and continue until it ran out. I basically got an extra paycheck out of it.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I discussed it with my employer ahead of time and got them to award me my vacation starting the day after my last workday and continue until it ran out. I basically got an extra paycheck out of it.

That is quite badass, my friend.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:03 pm

I'd check on the payout rules. A lot of companies will pay you for unused vacation. Personally, I told my manager back in October that I am planning on going to law school this fall... And I just started in May. So I had been here 5 months when I told him. In all honesty, the more notice you give them, probably the better.

But definitely use those personal days (if they are paid). I don't know why you wouldn't! And if they don't pay out for unused vacation definitely use those too!

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:The job has a good bit of responsibility, but I'm not getting paid a great deal for my trouble. I assume they know I'm not going to be here forever, especially ITE. I wasn't planning on telling them I was leaving for law school, I was just going to say I found a great opportunity, if that makes a difference.

Don't you think they're going to be curious though and ask what the "great opportunity" is? I'm in a similar position (just got a job today, and they never asked about future plans or anything) and trying to figure out how I'm going to weasel out of this by the first week of August.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Return to “Law School FAQ”