Actual Degree or Equivalent

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
FlanAl

Actual Degree or Equivalent

Postby FlanAl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Hey so i'm not sure how frequently asked this question is but I could really use some TLS opinions.

On one of the apps it asks me check a box for the highest degree received. I have a MA but this is what my university awards for undergraduate. My MA is essentially a BA equivalent (kind of but thats a whole other can of worms). Anyways do you think I should tick the box for Masters or for Bachelors?

Thanks a ton

sethc

Re: Actual Degree or Equivalent

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:35 pm

DEFINITELY tick the Bachelor's box. Otherwise, you're misrepresenting what your educational level actually is. Most adcomm's realize some schools call a "B.A." etc. something different sometimes, so without knowing more I'd say it's not a big deal. Having said that, if you really feel uncomfortable doing this.. then simply call the school(s) admissions office and ask them what they would like you to do because you want your application to be error-free. If that's not possible, maybe just upload some sort of addendum & slap it in your LSAC documents section. One of those should cover you, IMHO. Questions? ask away and I'll try to help.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:49 pm

The only issue is that I want my app to be consistent. On my academic summary it lists it as a MA. This is just how lsac interprets my transcript not my doing. I mean I actually don't have a BA which is why I'd feel weird checking the box.

sethc

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:58 pm

FlanAl wrote:The only issue is that I want my app to be consistent. On my academic summary it lists it as a MA. This is just how lsac interprets my transcript not my doing. I mean I actually don't have a BA which is why I'd feel weird checking the box.

Understood. I'd either attach an addendum and/or call the school(s) to discuss the matter before actually submitting an app. That's just me, though.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Did you go to school in the Ukraine or something?

sethc

Postby sethc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:00 am

Renzo wrote:Did you go to school in the Ukraine or something?

@me?

..no?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:02 am

sethc wrote:
Renzo wrote:Did you go to school in the Ukraine or something?

@me?

..no?

No, not at you. You don't have a crazy-titled degree.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:45 am

nah in the UK a lot of Pre-Columbian universities award the MA as an undergraduate degree

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 am

sethc wrote:
FlanAl wrote:The only issue is that I want my app to be consistent. On my academic summary it lists it as a MA. This is just how lsac interprets my transcript not my doing. I mean I actually don't have a BA which is why I'd feel weird checking the box.

Understood. I'd either attach an addendum and/or call the school(s) to discuss the matter before actually submitting an app. That's just me, though.

+1

I'd do both. You might get honesty brownie points for saying you wanted to confirm because you didn't want to gain an unfair advantage.

Return to “Law School FAQ”