Law school grades to apply to B-school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kazootey

New

Law school grades to apply to B-school?

Post by kazootey » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:06 pm

I love law school, but I am interested in business also, and I'm wondering if down the line I decide to apply to business school, would the school look at mainly my law school grades, or mainly my undergraduate transcript (which isn't great), or a combination of both? If anybody has experience applying to business school after law school, I'd love to hear about it.

ran12

Silver

Re: Law school grades to apply to B-school?

Post by ran12 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:34 pm

kazootey wrote:I love law school, but I am interested in business also, and I'm wondering if down the line I decide to apply to business school, would the school look at mainly my law school grades, or mainly my undergraduate transcript (which isn't great), or a combination of both? If anybody has experience applying to business school after law school, I'd love to hear about it.
They'll look at both both mainly admission will be based on your GMAT and work experience. They'll also want to see a demonstrated ability to lead.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:37 pm

It depends on the B-school; I have spoken to the admissions folks at a few of them, and responses vary.

In some schools, LS students will receive some slack on the WE category. And in nearly all cases (top schools) the LSAT alone will suffice.

kazootey

New

Post by kazootey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:25 am

glewz wrote:It depends on the B-school; I have spoken to the admissions folks at a few of them, and responses vary.

In some schools, LS students will receive some slack on the WE category. And in nearly all cases (top schools) the LSAT alone will suffice.
You mean the LSAT alone will suffice and you wouldn't need the GMAT? That's interesting, I hadn't heard that.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 am

kazootey wrote:
glewz wrote:It depends on the B-school; I have spoken to the admissions folks at a few of them, and responses vary.

You mean the LSAT alone will suffice and you wouldn't need the GMAT? That's interesting, I hadn't heard that.
I know some JD/MBA programs only require one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:46 pm

kazootey wrote:

I haven't heard that either and I go to b-school but things may be changing. The LSAT is def a lot harder than the GMAT; not even comparable. However, the GMAT has a math section and most b-schools are heavy on the quantitative stuff.

icpb

Bronze

Post by icpb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Top business schools care a lot about WE (at least good internship experiences). Grades (undergrad and grad) and GMAT combined plays a much less significant role in admissions compared with law school admissions. However, top business school is a lot easier to get into overall compared with top law school; Harvard and Wharton each have close to 1000 in their entering class each year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”