final exam question

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
HarlandBassett

final exam question

Postby HarlandBassett » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:16 am

1. What does it mean when an exam is secured or unsecured? Do professor let the class know which one before the final?

2. What does it mean when an exam is unlocked (if the test were given through an online software program)?

JusticeHarlan

Re: final exam question

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:37 am

HarlandBassett wrote:1. What does it mean when an exam is secured or unsecured? Do professor let the class know which one before the final?

2. What does it mean when an exam is unlocked (if the test were given through an online software program)?

Dunno about 1, but as to 2, the software we used for exams has two modes, locked and unlocked. Locked shuts down the rest of your computer: you cannot use anything but the test software while you're taking the exam. Unlocked lets the test taking software operate like any normal program, so you can (for example) minimize it and bring up your notes or Google and try to find some info. Unlocked is usually for take-home exams, locked for ones you take at school.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:59 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:1. What does it mean when an exam is secured or unsecured? Do professor let the class know which one before the final?

Dunno about 1, but as to 2, the software we used for exams has two modes, locked and unlocked. Locked shuts down the rest of your computer: you cannot use anything but the test software while you're taking the exam. Unlocked lets the test taking software operate like any normal program, so you can (for example) minimize it and bring up your notes or Google and try to find some info. Unlocked is usually for take-home exams, locked for ones you take at school.

So I'm guessing spellcheck/grammar check can't be used in whatever test taking software they distribute?

sethc

Postby sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:19 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

So I'm guessing spellcheck/grammar check can't be used in whatever test taking software they distribute?

Nope. At least not in my experience - we use software called Exam4 for laptop finals, so yours might be different. I've always been really great at spelling and shit, so luckily that part didn't drive me nuts lol

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:08 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

The software my school used had spellcheck, so I guess it just depends on the school and the software they use.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:11 pm

sethc wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

Nope. At least not in my experience - we use software called Exam4 for laptop finals, so yours might be different. I've always been really great at spelling and shit, so luckily that part didn't drive me nuts lol

Exam4 DOES have a spell-checker built in. So does Securexam.

sethc

Postby sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Renzo wrote: Exam4 DOES have a spell-checker built in. So does Securexam.

Really? Are you sure about Exam4? I'm almost positive that it didn't when I took exams about a month ago. I never took the time to investigate the issue though so you might be right. I don't really need it and since my profs aren't really grammar/spelling sticklers, it didn't cross my mind. I did take a quick look while I was writing my essay during Torts final though, but didn't waste more than like 20sec when I couldn't immediately find it.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:56 pm

sethc wrote:

Really? Are you sure about Exam4? I'm almost positive that it didn't when I took exams about a month ago. I never took the time to investigate the issue though so you might be right. I don't really need it and since my profs aren't really grammar/spelling sticklers, it didn't cross my mind. I did take a quick look while I was writing my essay during Torts final though, but didn't waste more than like 20sec when I couldn't immediately find it.

Many exam programs have a built in spellcheck, but schools can disable it.

sethc

Postby sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Ahhh.. gotcha - that could be the explanation. Our exams are all closed-book so I suspected as much.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:27 pm

It's also worth mentioning that some schools simply use honor codes and let you: (a) use Word, (b) take the exam anywhere in the law school, and (c) [for non-1L required courses] take the exam anytime during the exam period.

sethc

Postby sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:31 pm

vamedic03 wrote:It's also worth mentioning that some schools simply use honor codes and let you: (a) use Word, (b) take the exam anywhere in the law school, and (c) [for non-1L required courses] take the exam anytime during the exam period.

Whoaa. Didn't know that. :twisted:

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:18 pm

vamedic03 wrote:It's also worth mentioning that some schools simply use honor codes and let you: (a) use Word, (b) take the exam anywhere in the law school, and (c) [for non-1L required courses] take the exam anytime during the exam period.

which T14s? :lol:

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:21 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

On ExamSoft, the spellcheck feature was an option they could enable or disable. I believe it was enabled for every test at my school this year (or so some email they sent out said).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:26 am

sethc wrote:

I don't know about the ability of schools to disable it, but it's there. Now, it won't underscore words like normal programs; you actually have to manually run the spellcheck, like in olden days, but it exists.

sethc

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:45 am

Renzo wrote:
sethc wrote:

I don't know about the ability of schools to disable it, but it's there. Now, it won't underscore words like normal programs; you actually have to manually run the spellcheck, like in olden days, but it exists.

Yeah, that little red squiggle is a handy-as-hell crutch lol.. but I'm not worried enough, personally, to try to figure it out & manually run it. The fact that they *can* disable it is enough of a deterrent for me haha

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Anyone know the answer to #1?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:13 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:Anyone know the answer to #1?

I think secured/unsecured is the same as locked/unlocked. Our exams were all "secured." Maybe I'm wrong though.

Also, if I remember correctly, Exam4 has spell check.

seasicksmurf151

Postby seasicksmurf151 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:01 am

Some also leave out the [for non-1L required courses] part of (c) ;)

Return to “Law School FAQ”