Where do you get spending $$ in law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gens1tb

Re: Where do you get spending $$ in law school?

Postby gens1tb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:40 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
gens1tb wrote:I was setting aside money, but my appendix nearly ruptured while I was on vacation and long-story-short I'm going to need a part-time job.

Bad idea.

Well, not during 1L.. (I mean, I did not mean I'd work during 1L)

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:42 pm

gens1tb wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:
gens1tb wrote:I was setting aside money, but my appendix nearly ruptured while I was on vacation and long-story-short I'm going to need a part-time job.

Bad idea.

Well, not during 1L..

Sorry, I assumed you meant working during 1L.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:42 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:I thought the ABA does not allow you to work more than 20 hrs/wk during law school. I'm hoping to get something, since even during grad school I worked as a TA/RA 20 hrs/wk. Can 1Ls not work?

Yes, I am under the impression that 1Ls are not allowed to work without special permission (I do not know anyone who has gotten it). And it is a bad idea because you won't have time to study as much as you need to, eat right, exercise and have a remnant of a social life to stay sane and work. This isn't like your undergrad work, so the scheduling can't really be compared to that.

I was referencing graduate school.

I figured I wouldn't work 1L first semester anyway, because it's would probably be too tough. However, if I was able to handle it I would definitely want to work second semester.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:53 pm

DeeCee wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:I thought the ABA does not allow you to work more than 20 hrs/wk during law school. I'm hoping to get something, since even during grad school I worked as a TA/RA 20 hrs/wk. Can 1Ls not work?

Yes, I am under the impression that 1Ls are not allowed to work without special permission (I do not know anyone who has gotten it). And it is a bad idea because you won't have time to study as much as you need to, eat right, exercise and have a remnant of a social life to stay sane and work. This isn't like your undergrad work, so the scheduling can't really be compared to that.

I was referencing graduate school.

I figured I wouldn't work 1L first semester anyway, because it's would probably be too tough. However, if I was able to handle it I would definitely want to work second semester.

Its not like other grad school work either. Anyway, the point of the thread is where do you get spending money...you get it from loans, savings, parents, or a significant other who works. That's the situation during 1L, anyway.

amonynous_ivdinidual

Postby amonynous_ivdinidual » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Just to follow up with some anecdotal evidence.

I worked this fall, anywhere from 10-20 hours per week. Grades are in. Top 15% (T-25).

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:04 am

jbarl1 wrote:
Its not like other grad school work either. Anyway, the point of the thread is where do you get spending money...you get it from loans, savings, parents, or a significant other who works. That's the situation during 1L, anyway.

Well the point of my question was to ask if 1Ls could work, which would be where I would attempt to get spending money. Obviously I wouldn't know this because I am a 0L.

And if you're not taking a humanities degree, grad school is very rigorous and not the cakewalk you expect.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:07 am

DeeCee wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:

Well the point of my question was to ask if 1Ls could work, which would be where I would attempt to get spending money. Obviously I wouldn't know this because I am a 0L.

And if you're not taking a humanities degree, grad school is very rigorous and not the cakewalk you expect.

I am in no way saying that graduate school is a cakewalk, I am just saying that law school is different than any other type of academic environment. As I said before, I believe that it is a rule that 1Ls cannot work. This rule exists because law school is such a rigorous academic program and students need to make it their only priority. I'm sorry if I insulted you, but the answer, to the best of my knowledge, to your question is that no, 1Ls cannot work, they have to find spending money elsewhere.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 am

jbarl1 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:

I am in no way saying that graduate school is a cakewalk, I am just saying that law school is different than any other type of academic environment. As I said before, I believe that it is a rule that 1Ls cannot work. This rule exists because law school is such a rigorous academic program and students need to make it their only priority. I'm sorry if I insulted you, but the answer, to the best of my knowledge, to your question is that no, 1Ls cannot work, they have to find spending money elsewhere.

Gotcha. Thanks for the information-- I kind of wish I wouldn't have to use loan money for spending money, but I'm sure this is what I'll be doing for minimum 1L year.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:12 am

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amonynous_ivdinidual

Postby amonynous_ivdinidual » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:15 am

rebexness wrote:
I knew it and I am an 0L, so it is not "obviously I wouldn't know this".

well rebexness, aren't you just a treat. this rule may only apply to people taking out loans, or there could be a rule unique to your school. but i don't know where it says you cannot work while in law school, period. i also don't know what body could enforce that rule.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:17 am

rebexness wrote:
DeeCee wrote:Well the point of my question was to ask if 1Ls could work, which would be where I would attempt to get spending money. Obviously I wouldn't know this because I am a 0L.

I had researched it previously, and read a statement somewhere that the ABA only allowed full-time students to work 20 hrs/wk. I thought this applied uniformly from 1L-3L. Sorry I have not researched the nuances of this rule, that is why I've asked this question in this thread.

EDIT: I'm not trying to clog the thread with a work discussion so I'll move on from this since I now know the answer.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:31 am

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:41 am

rebexness wrote:
amonynous_ivdinidual wrote:
rebexness wrote:

well rebexness, aren't you just a treat. this rule may only apply to people taking out loans, or there could be a rule unique to your school. but i don't know where it says you cannot work while in law school, period. i also don't know what body could enforce that rule.

I wasn't trying to be a d-bag. Why blame being an 0L on not knowing something?

per the ABA website

(f) A student may not be employed more than 20 hours per week in any week in which the
student is enrolled in more than twelve class hours.

And usually schools add their own regulation on top of that. The best thing to do is look at your schools estimated COA and compare that with your scholly/loans and also find out your schools outside employment policy. That will let you know where you stand. Even if your school allows you to work, there are hundred of people on this site (and tons of people not on this site) who will tell you working is a bad idea.

Return to “Law School FAQ”