What is the "first bachelor's degree" issue?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
GotKazan

What is the "first bachelor's degree" issue?

Postby GotKazan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:39 pm

I recently posted in the LSAT Prep forum, and I mentioned that I will be taking one additional year to get my bachelor's degree. I know it's not necessarily favorable, but unfortunately I was indecisive for my first year of college about what I wanted to do with my life. Someone responded to my post with: "I'm assuming you're already aware of and have worked this out to work around the "first bachelor's degree" issue? Just wanted to throw that out there in case you weren't aware of it."

What is the issue here? I've never heard of taking five years in undergrad to be a huge issue... but this person has me kind of freaked out. Any input?

random5483

Re: What is the "first bachelor's degree" issue?

Postby random5483 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:51 pm

GotKazan wrote:I recently posted in the LSAT Prep forum, and I mentioned that I will be taking one additional year to get my bachelor's degree. I know it's not necessarily favorable, but unfortunately I was indecisive for my first year of college about what I wanted to do with my life. Someone responded to my post with: "I'm assuming you're already aware of and have worked this out to work around the "first bachelor's degree" issue? Just wanted to throw that out there in case you weren't aware of it."

What is the issue here? I've never heard of taking five years in undergrad to be a huge issue... but this person has me kind of freaked out. Any input?

A 5 year bachelor degree is not a huge issue. Most schools will likely understand you taking more 5 years. Your GPA and LSAT are much bigger concerns than whether you graduated in 4 or less years. I would not be overly worried about a 5 year degree unless there is an underlying problem that caused you to take 5 years (ex. failing classes). But an underlying problem would have likely impacted your GPA so at the end of the day if you have a good GPA/LSAT you should be set.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 pm

The overwhelming majority of TLS posters have no idea what they are talking about.

The responding poster likely mistook your intention to take 5 years to earn your BA with an ill-advised plan to take an additional year of classes after earning your degree: courses taken after you have earned your first undergraduate degree will not affect your LSDAS GPA.

GotKazan

Postby GotKazan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:54 pm

That's a relief. Thanks so much! :)

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:The overwhelming majority of TLS posters have no idea what they are talking about.

The responding poster likely mistook your intention to take 5 years to earn your BA with an ill-advised plan to take an additional year of classes after earning your degree: courses taken after you have earned your first undergraduate degree will not affect your LSDAS GPA.

TITCR. I took 9 years finishing my bachelors (took a 5 year break to work full time) - not a big deal.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:35 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:The overwhelming majority of TLS posters have no idea what they are talking about.

I understood that he planned to take 5 years to complete his BA. My post merely stated that taking 5 years to complete the BA would not likely impact his chances unless there was a negative reason for the delay (Ex. retaking classes, etc).

sethc

Postby sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:31 pm

@OP

Yeah, if your grades are kick-ass and your major was tough (or might be tough for most) then I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding your undergrad degree. Think of it like this: 5 years for an engineering degree might look a little more impressive than 5 years for "General Studies" or Art History etc. (i.e. B.S. > B.A. most of the time, but that's not always true)

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:48 pm

GotKazan wrote:I recently posted in the LSAT Prep forum, and I mentioned that I will be taking one additional year to get my bachelor's degree. I know it's not necessarily favorable, but unfortunately I was indecisive for my first year of college about what I wanted to do with my life. Someone responded to my post with: "I'm assuming you're already aware of and have worked this out to work around the "first bachelor's degree" issue? Just wanted to throw that out there in case you weren't aware of it."

guy doesn't know what he's talking about

first bachelor's degree issue = LSAC only using the GPA from the classes taken in UG before you finally graduate... it means you can't graduate with a BS in chemistry, get a 3.4 decide to go to law school and then go back to college and get a 2nd UG this time in Art History and get a 4.0 and try to use the 4.0 to bring up your LSAC gpa for the purposes of applying to law school.

I graduated in 5 years w/ my admissions cycle was entirely predictable based on LSAT+GPA

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:54 pm

random5483 wrote:

I understood that he planned to take 5 years to complete his BA. My post merely stated that taking 5 years to complete the BA would not likely impact his chances unless there was a negative reason for the delay (Ex. retaking classes, etc).

Sorry, I wasn't clear: when I was referring to the "responding poster," I didn't mean you, I meant the poster who responded to the OP's thread in the LSAT Prep forum.

Return to “Law School FAQ”