how hard is it to maintain 3.0? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: how hard is it to maintain 3.0?

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Most people that come onto this site are going to law school no matter what you tell them.
If that's true, then giving them any advice is pointless. I give advice to the remainder who are reasonable and would weigh any and all options to see what is best for them.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:40 pm

birD wrote:thanks for the input! For the record this school I'm considering is a T3. I think it makes more sense for me to go to this T3 for free rather than a top 30 school for sticker because I already have a job lined up back home. Do you think this is a smart move...?
If you already have a legal job lined up then attending a T3 with scholly is actually kind of a no-brainer. However, that's only true if it's nearly 100% certain you'll get the job if you get the degree.

birD

Bronze

Post by birD » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:40 pm

If you already have a legal job lined up then attending a T3 with scholly is actually kind of a no-brainer.
it's good to hear someone say that. Going to a T3 just kind of hurts my pride but it's worth it to graduate debt free.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:43 am

birD wrote:
If you already have a legal job lined up then attending a T3 with scholly is actually kind of a no-brainer.
it's good to hear someone say that. Going to a T3 just kind of hurts my pride but it's worth it to graduate debt free.
I don't think you understood Vanwinkle's point. He claims going to a T3 with a full scholarship is worth it only if you already have a job lined up. The vast majority of law students do not have a job lined up before law school.

Personally, I would advise you against going to a T3 school without a scholarship. With a full scholarship though, a T3 can make sense for some people. With that said, I would never pick a T3 with a full scholarship over a T30 at sticker. However, each person must weigh the costs/benefits and make a decision for him or herself.

birD

Bronze

Post by birD » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:17 am

I would never pick a T3 with a full scholarship over a T30 at sticker.
Even if you already have a family job lined up? Why? Just curious to hear your perspective...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:23 am

birD wrote:
Even if you already have a family job lined up? Why? Just curious to hear your perspective...

Just do what you do man/woman. I wouldn't go to a t30 at sticker unless that meant a total debt of less than six figures. 160k at a t30 is idiotic. You don't need our validation here. You've got a pretty good option with the ability to go to school in what is presumably an area you are form/enjoy, and some prospect of a job after graduation. You're mind probably isn't changing, and it definitely shouldn't change on advice that includes "go to a t30 at sticker."

conroyc

New

Post by conroyc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:46 pm

So just to be clear (as I am terrible with math and curves and such...), a 3.0 on a 3.3 scale is easier to maintain than a 3.0 on say, a 2.8 scale? Glad I found this thread... I had no idea about all of this.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:55 pm

conroyc wrote:So just to be clear (as I am terrible with math and curves and such...), a 3.0 on a 3.3 scale is easier to maintain than a 3.0 on say, a 2.8 scale? Glad I found this thread... I had no idea about all of this.
Yes. a 3.0 on a 3.3 scale basically means "be in the top 75%." A 3.0 on a 2.8 scale basically means "be in the top 1/3."

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:58 am

birD wrote:

Perhaps "never" is an extreme word. In my current situation, I would not opt to go to a T3 with a full-scholarship over a T30 at sticker.

Hypothetically, if I had the right job lined up I would definitely take the T3 with a scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:04 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
birD wrote:

Just do what you do man/woman. I wouldn't go to a t30 at sticker unless that meant a total debt of less than six figures. 160k at a t30 is idiotic. You don't need our validation here. You've got a pretty good option with the ability to go to school in what is presumably an area you are form/enjoy, and some prospect of a job after graduation. You're mind probably isn't changing, and it definitely shouldn't change on advice that includes "go to a t30 at sticker."

My advice was not "go to T30 at sticker." Rather I stated I would personally go to a T30 at sticker than attend a T3 with a full scholarship. Attending law school has an opportunity cost. We lost 3 years of income and pay for our housing/etc. The cost of attending a T3 is not free. Simply put, there are costs with attending any law school.

In an optimal world the person with a T30 admit would have a scholarship to a lower T1 or T2 school. Either of the aforesaid with a scholarship might make more sense than attending a T30 school. If the op has family obligations, family connections, or any other unique circumstances, he might be better served by going to the T3. However, as a general rule of thumb going 50-60k in debt and giving up 3 years of income for a T3 education is not all that great a deal compared to going 150-160k in debt and giving up 3 years of income in a T30. Neither is an ideal situation, but we all have to pick our poison or find something more palatable (ex. partial scholarship to low t1 or t2)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”