Interested in Corporate Law Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TheLegalBeagle

New

Interested in Corporate Law

Post by TheLegalBeagle » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm a freshman in a private university, and I've been interested in Corporate (particularly International) Law recently. I have a few questions:

1. What's a good major for it? I'm currently doing History as my B.A., and I'm hoping to get into law school with it.
2. How is JAG viewed? I'm hoping to go into Navy JAG for 4 years after law school, will law firms look down on it, or would they like the litigation experience?
3. What classes should I take now in college, and in law school, to get a good idea of International corporate law?

Thanks! :)

Let1Equal0

New

Re: Interested in Corporate Law

Post by Let1Equal0 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:49 pm

I heard international law is a booming field, especially in the area of corporate quasi-market securities arbitration.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Relax. You're a freshman in college and are a very different person than you will be several years from now.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:33 am

Let1Equal0 wrote:I heard international law is a booming field, especially in the area of corporate quasi-market securities arbitration.
I laughed so hard.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Learn the capitols of small, former soviet republics. This should give you an edge during international law recruiting season.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apollo13

Bronze

Post by apollo13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:53 pm

Chill for now and lurk around TLS for a bit and you will see.
If taking business related classes won't negatively affect your GPA, then by all means take it.
IMO, it would be helpful to have a general concept/understanding of how corporates work, its law, transaction process, filings and etc. If your school offers classes such as Business Law, International Law, Business Policy - take them to expand your horizon. Yet, as far as choosing majors goes, choose a major that you are most interested in, implying that you would get the highest GPA humanely as possible. If you think that you are business savvy and could get good grades, then take it. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend you to major it. In the end, it is at law school where you develop your interest in different fields in law and after law school where you choose to work - though most of the times law firms/organizations are the ones choosing your field.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:03 pm

I've heard that it beneficial to take some accounting classes but id rather have dropped out of school and been a high school janitor than majored in accounting.

nina09

New

Post by nina09 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 am

Can't help you with the law school questions but I can with the Business ones.

I don't know if your college has them but you should take this courses if you are interested in international business

Accounting and International Accounting ( You need the introduction to take any other accounting classes in most universities)
Legal aspect of of international commerce
International Business administration
International Finances
Commercial Ethic
International Economy
Administration of operations and logistic globally
Business communication
and my favorite Protocol for international Business.

All of this are courses of the international business degree that my university offers.

You should at least have a Business administration and a accounting class, as a matter of fact everyone should. Nobody will take care of your money like you will .

They are not as hard as people make them out to be , believe me I never opened the accounting book or pay attention and got a B , not something I'm proud of but is the true.

I love the business administrations class and is a piece of cake if you pay attention and are good at taking notes.

Haven't taken finances , but took accounting is easy but my professor was the kind that spaced out so it was hard to stay focus. But the class is easy , you just need to practice .

I haven't taken the protocol class but is a fun one, they just teach you how to behave and conduct yourself in business setting around the world.

acirilli1722

New

Post by acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:08 am

After talking to a 3L at my school he said that what you do in undergrad has little to no affect on your successes and interests in law school. Gaining the skills for corporate law and getting interviews will be based off what you do when you are in law school. However, like me, this kid was a finance major in undergrad and even though his work in law school got him an interview working in tax law for the SEC, he said the background in finance did help out during his interview and gave him a slight boost to get the internship. Also, not related to corporate law, in another year or 2 when you are getting ready to take the LSAT I would suggest consider taking a philosophy/critical reasoning class as it could help you with your score on the critical reasoning section which is the most important section on the test. But if you are just a freshman pick a major based on what you are interested in since a lot can change in 4 years and law school may not end up working out and you will get stuck with a degree you don't want. Make sure you do as good as you can your first 2 years as things start to get substantially more difficult Junior and Senior year, trust me. If you can get off to a good start with a good GPA early you will be thankful come time to apply to law school. It is a lot harder to bring up a low GPA then to drop a high one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:28 am

megaTTTron wrote:
Let1Equal0 wrote:I heard international law is a booming field, especially in the area of corporate quasi-market securities arbitration.
I laughed so hard.
Same bahaha

acirilli1722

New

Post by acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:33 am

haha yea I don't know about the whole booming market thing, but one of my professors is military JAG and does international law and he works some really interesting cases. Good luck if you end up going that route.

TheLegalBeagle

New

Post by TheLegalBeagle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Is History a good major for it? I'm really good at it.

acirilli1722

New

Post by acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:26 pm

From what I am told it doesn't really matter, what you learn in law school is supposedly a lot different then anything you would study in undergrad. If you like history go for it, also if you are good at it and can do well in UG then it could help in your apps

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheLegalBeagle

New

Post by TheLegalBeagle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:38 pm

acirilli1722 wrote:From what I am told it doesn't really matter, what you learn in law school is supposedly a lot different then anything you would study in undergrad. If you like history go for it, also if you are good at it and can do well in UG then it could help in your apps
Nice!

Let1Equal0

New

Post by Let1Equal0 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:19 pm

TheLegalBeagle wrote:Is History a good major for it? I'm really good at it.
Last edited by Let1Equal0 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Let1Equal0 wrote:
TheLegalBeagle wrote:Is History a good major for it? I'm really good at it.
I didn't know you could be "good" at history. :lol:
Past lives maybe?

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Go accounting.

Upsides: You learn the ins and outs of business as much or more so than any other business major. You also have well-paying (not on par with BigLaw, but still decent) job opportunities, especially if you pass the CPA exam, if you decide not to do law or have trouble finding a law job.

Downside: As someone said above, most people would rather drop out before they do accounting. At least at my school, it seems to be the most difficult of the business majors and could negatively affect your GPA.

Disclaimer: Accounting major speaking.

acirilli1722

New

Post by acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Agree that accounting is a good degree. I am finance and its very similar. Although it would be good to understand this type of information as a corporate lawyer, I would still say pick a major assuming that you aren't going to law school in case you decide not to go then you will have a degree you will want to use

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”