multiple undergrads Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
FlanAl

Silver

multiple undergrads

Post by FlanAl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:58 pm

So I started out at my local state school and hated it. I then transfered to community college to save some money. At the end of the academic year I decided to transfer to a university in the UK. None of my units transferred so I had to start over as a freshman. The summer after my freshman year I decided to take language classes for fun at 2 different community colleges.

So all told I have 4 transcripts I'm guessing I need some kind of addendum for this? Do I need to talk about why I left my first schools or just sort of write out the timeline.

I have good grades at all of the institutions except for one. It's the one where I took arabic over the summer, should I explain this (like I was just taking the class for fun)?

Thanks for any advice

JazzOne

Gold

Re: multiple undergrads

Post by JazzOne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:04 pm

FlanAl wrote:So I started out at my local state school and hated it. I then transfered to community college to save some money. At the end of the academic year I decided to transfer to a university in the UK. None of my units transferred so I had to start over as a freshman. The summer after my freshman year I decided to take language classes for fun at 2 different community colleges.

So all told I have 4 transcripts I'm guessing I need some kind of addendum for this? Do I need to talk about why I left my first schools or just sort of write out the timeline.

I have good grades at all of the institutions except for one. It's the one where I took arabic over the summer, should I explain this (like I was just taking the class for fun)?

Thanks for any advice
I think a short addendum is in order here. Don't get overly dramatic. A slight elaboration to what you've written here will suffice.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks!

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:44 pm

I took Chinese for fun my freshman year and got the lowest grades of my undergrad in Chinese 101 and 102. I wouldn't write an explanation for why you earned lower grades in Arabic.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:52 pm

quetzal_bird wrote:I took Chinese for fun my freshman year and got the lowest grades of my undergrad in Chinese 101 and 102. I wouldn't write an explanation for why you earned lower grades in Arabic.
Fair enough. My advice was more pertaining to his odd set of transcripts. I think that deserves some explanation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:11 pm

I'm definitely not going to try and explain the arabic grade away. i don't get an lsac gpa so i'm sure it doesn't matter. the confusing thing from their point of view would be why i returned to community college and to 2 different ones. I figured I should explain this since they contributed in no way to the obtaining of my degree as simply me taking some fun summer language classes.

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:40 pm

I have a similar transcript. Started at a regular UG, took a year off to make $, went to community, returned at the original UG. Most of the schools asked for a short statement explaining the break, so I used the few lines provided. I didn't want to try to submit too many materials for adcomms.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:59 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I have a similar transcript. Started at a regular UG, took a year off to make $, went to community, returned at the original UG. Most of the schools asked for a short statement explaining the break, so I used the few lines provided. I didn't want to try to submit too many materials for adcomms.
any chance of you using that to your advantage? something like became more mature and academically focused? do you think it hurt you at all?

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:02 pm

FlanAl wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:I have a similar transcript. Started at a regular UG, took a year off to make $, went to community, returned at the original UG. Most of the schools asked for a short statement explaining the break, so I used the few lines provided. I didn't want to try to submit too many materials for adcomms.
any chance of you using that to your advantage? something like became more mature and academically focused? do you think it hurt you at all?
It certainly helped me. I think my "upward GPA trend" should infer that. I choose to focus my PS on experience. I didn't write an addendum.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:37 pm

I went to 2 community colleges and then transferred to a state school. There was a 10-year break in between. I wrote addendum for schools that ask for academic breaks and did not include them to other schools. I think you are fine not submitting an explanation if they don't ask for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”