normal to not have 1st sem grades when 2nd sem start Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
dsa1

New

normal to not have 1st sem grades when 2nd sem start

Post by dsa1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:04 pm

I mean, with the academic probation/disqualification bs you think they'd post grades before 2nd semester starts.

But, is this the norm for law schools to NOT have grades in before the new semester starts?

blong4133

Bronze

Re: normal to not have 1st sem grades when 2nd sem start

Post by blong4133 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:33 pm

We started 2nd Semester classes on the thrid and grades were posted on the 1st. From my understanding, this was earlier than usual.

I agree that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because your first semester grades determine whether you have to take a class on proper study techniques, which is a continuation of a class all 1L's had to take during the first semester (it's a bs class). But that class doesn't start until the second or third week of the semester so I'm assuming in the previous years they haven't had them released until the second week of the semester.

They also don't cut the loan checks until the 2nd week because of this, so to give those who flunked out or don't want to continue after grades are posted a change to figure the loan stuff out. But that's just where I go, I'm not sure about other schools.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeah, my school is the same and it just doesn't make much sense to me. If the professors are busy teaching during the first week of 2nd semester, then the grades are obviously in before then. So why not just get them posted ASAP when they are submitted? My entire approach to these classes will either shift or stay the same based on how I did this last semester, so it would be really helpful to know the grades in advance.

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:58 pm

dakatz wrote:Yeah, my school is the same and it just doesn't make much sense to me. If the professors are busy teaching during the first week of 2nd semester, then the grades are obviously in before then. So why not just get them posted ASAP when they are submitted? My entire approach to these classes will either shift or stay the same based on how I did this last semester, so it would be really helpful to know the grades in advance.
Exactly. And since there are no tests other than the finals, the Prof's have all semester to work on something they're writing or whatever. I"m sure they know all the cases they assigne like th back of their hand, so they really don't even have anything to do the entire semester. (but that could be my frustration talking) I think they can take a couple of weeks off to get the grades in so as to give the students a little peace of mind. I didn't enjoy my christmas break at all until the grades were released. So I was pretty much able to enjoy the last day and a half of my 3 week break.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”