Contract Work vs Law School Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Contract Work or Law School

Go to Law School
No votes
Go for the Contract work
92%
Apply Part-time to Law school in the job city
8%
Continue to search for full-time work in my current city
No votes

Total votes: 13

CSCS Trainer

New

Contract Work vs Law School

Post by CSCS Trainer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:27 pm

I just got off the phone with a friend who is a a major researcher in the field of Exercise Physiology ( my undergrad & graduate field ). She sent me information on a couple jobs at her facility, full-time but contract work.

The first job is to direct a research study and that job is scheduled for 3-4 years. With my qualifications she said I would make between $65-$80k a year.

The second job is to help direct an exercise therapy research center with an annual salary of between $50-$60k. There is no guarantee on the length of time for this position as it is funded by grants from the US government. *This position is pretty much guaranteed*

The jobs are a 5 hour drive or 45 min plane ride from where I currently live.

My situation: I have been out of full-time work for 1 year and 4 months. I do some contract/consulting work, but nothing consistent. I am a 34 year old, divorced father of 3 with joint custody and currently paying no child support.

Unless I get into SMU, I will have to move to attend law school - thus requiring a change to the custody/child support situation. This would be the same if I received one of the above jobs.

Most likely I will be attending a lower level school such as Marquette, Michigan State, etc. While I know I can excel in school, I know job prospects from lower ranking schools are much lower.

So should I go for the job/s or still shoot for law school?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Contract Work vs Law School

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Do you like your field? I mean unless you have some god awful hankering to become a lawyer, or absolutely loathe what you do, I would stay with it.

The kids also makes it pretty easy to stay where you are over choosing to pursue law school somewhere else.

CSCS Trainer

New

Post by CSCS Trainer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:34 pm

bk187 wrote:Do you like your field? I mean unless you have some god awful hankering to become a lawyer, or absolutely loathe what you do, I would stay with it.

The kids also makes it pretty easy to stay where you are over choosing to pursue law school somewhere else.
I'm sure it's like any job, I've become burned out. However, directing the research study or the exercise therapy center would be different from what I have been doing for the last several years.

Either way, law school or job, I would have to move. The only difference with the job is I could fly back every weekend.

The thing I'm worried about is that there is no guarantee of employment after the study/grant is up?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:38 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:I'm sure it's like any job, I've become burned out. However, directing the research study or the exercise therapy center would be different from what I have been doing for the last several years.

Either way, law school or job, I would have to move. The only difference with the job is I could fly back every weekend.

The thing I'm worried about is that there is no guarantee of employment after the study/grant is up?
Would both of them require flying?

The study is 3-4 years, that is a long enough time to line up a job for after that so I don't see the temporary nature as being that bad. The research center is another beast entirely and I would look into how likely it would be that your employment would be renewed, something that I don't think anybody here could really answer for you.

CSCS Trainer

New

Post by CSCS Trainer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:43 pm

bk187 wrote:
Would both of them require flying?

The study is 3-4 years, that is a long enough time to line up a job for after that so I don't see the temporary nature as being that bad. The research center is another beast entirely and I would look into how likely it would be that your employment would be renewed, something that I don't think anybody here could really answer for you.
Yes both jobs are in the same location. Good point on the research study, it's just tough not to know how the economy will pan out ( like anything else ). This is the first time I haven't had a full-time job in 19 years. So it's discouraging.

Thanks for the opinions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Take the 3-4yr job and go to law school part time. If you REALLY want to be a lawyer, you'll do this. If not, stick w/ the contract work, and continue looking.

Good luck,

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:
bk187 wrote:Do you like your field? I mean unless you have some god awful hankering to become a lawyer, or absolutely loathe what you do, I would stay with it.

I'm sure it's like any job, I've become burned out. However, directing the research study or the exercise therapy center would be different from what I have been doing for the last several years.

There's no guarantee of employment after law school either, and you'll be in an assload of debt. I'd keep going with what you have, and second the poster who said part time while working is the best option if you're dying to be a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”