When Should I Apply?! Come School me!!!

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
anteater1

When Should I Apply?! Come School me!!!

Postby anteater1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey guys I posted one topic here before and you guys were very helpful so heres my situation:

I transfered from a community college (Fullerton College, CA) to UC Irvine, at the CC I had a GPA of 3.5 and at UCI right now my GPA is a 3.6.

My 1st question is should I apply after my Junior year at UC Irvine, or should I wait until I graduate in '12 to apply so law schools will have more University grades to judge me by?

and My 2nd Question is would it be a stretch for a T1 if I do well on the LSAT or should I be ok?

I'd ideally like to apply during my senior year at UCI.

bk1

Re: When Should I Apply?! Come School me!!!

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:51 pm

If you can manage a 3.7+ it might be worth it. The extra grades in and of themselves are irrelevant, but if you can manage a 3.7+ LSDAS GPA that would bring you over the medians of some schools. If you can't then the extra grades are meaningless considering you'll still be a 3.6 or so.

If you get a decent LSAT then a T1 should be no problem, however you should aim for a 170+ and the T14 or strong regional at the worst.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:19 pm

bk1 wrote:If you can manage a 3.7+ it might be worth it. The extra grades in and of themselves are irrelevant, but if you can manage a 3.7+ LSDAS GPA that would bring you over the medians of some schools. If you can't then the extra grades are meaningless considering you'll still be a 3.6 or so.

If you get a decent LSAT then a T1 should be no problem, however you should aim for a 170+ and the T14 or strong regional at the worst.

thanks man, you've always been real helpful to a newb such as myself.

If I happen to apply and get denied from some schools I like, I can reapply after my senior year but would that hurt my chances?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:44 pm

anteater1 wrote:If I happen to apply and get denied from some schools I like, I can reapply after my senior year but would that hurt my chances?

Naw, you good dog.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 pm

rad law wrote:
anteater1 wrote:If I happen to apply and get denied from some schools I like, I can reapply after my senior year but would that hurt my chances?

Naw, you good dog.

This. Having been denied before won't hurt your chances assuming you are now an attractive candidate to them whereas you weren't before (i.e. you raised your GPA over their median, retook the LSAT to get over their median, suddenly found out your great-great-great-grandmother was a Cherokee princess, etc).

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Your best bet is to begin studying for the June 2011 LSAT. If you're happy with your score, you can send out apps on the first day of next year's cycle. And if you need a retake, you can always sign up for the Oct 2011 LSAT.

Good Luck

Return to “Law School FAQ”