Books to read before 1L? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
DocHawkeye

Silver

Books to read before 1L?

Post by DocHawkeye » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:30 pm

I am posting this question in several of these discussions with the hopes of receiving a wide range of answers, so please be tolerant if you see it more than once. If I had time to thoroughly read and understand one book between now and the time I enter law school in the fall, what should that book be and how will it benefit me as a 1L?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Re: Books to read before 1L?

Post by Kilpatrick » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:31 pm

"How to use the search function on TLS"

peter844

New

Post by peter844 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:33 pm

I would like to know this as well

mlipsco

New

Post by mlipsco » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:33 pm

I found "Getting to Maybe" to be very helpful for my first semester courses. Apparently it's a good idea to read it once the summer before 1L year and again around November (at least some chapters). I failed to reread during the semester but still feel that the advice was very helpful regarding first semester exams. Also, it's an easy read compared to a few of the other books I read/skimmed over. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I haven't received my grades yet, so I guess I won't know until the end of the month whether or not this book's advice helped me...
Last edited by mlipsco on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:33 pm

The Bible

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:"How to use the search function on TLS"
Using said feature produced two results, neither of with proved satisfactory:

1) Very old threads (i.e.: from 2007 or before).

2) Threads that only were tangential to this question (i.e:. books and study aids for 1L’s).

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Thirteen wrote:The Bible
Done. Anything else?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:

2) Threads that only were tangential to this question (i.e:. books and study aids for 1L’s).
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=119471

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =5&t=99755

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=141126

What came up on the 1st page of my search. ETA: last 2 links are to threads made in the past month I think.

People are being sarcastic because this question is asked sooo many times on TLS.
Last edited by kazu on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:

Nothing has changed in 3 years. HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:49 pm

kazu wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=119471

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =5&t=99755

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=141126

What came up on the 1st page of my search. ETA: last 2 links are to threads made in the past month I think.

People are being sarcastic because this question is asked sooo many times on TLS.

While these are interesting, none of them actually answer the question I asked (see point number two above). They also seem to assume that the scope of my query is limited to books that address success in law school, which it is not. Now that we have that out of the way, would anyone like to answer the question I asked?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Come on, now you're just being stubborn. You read through all those threads and you didn't find the magical right answer to your question? That's because there isn't one. There is no special one book you need to read and understand. The closest thing is Getting To Maybe. It will help you as a 1L because it will give you advice on how to do well on exams. And if that's not your primary concern going into your first year, it should be.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:51 pm

A couple lists I have bookmarked:

--LinkRemoved-- for conservative and libertarian principles and theories - helpful for radical liberals like myself

http://www.willamette.edu/wucl/longlib/ ... _list.html for general, law-specific books

http://www.johnmarshall.edu/images/pdf/ ... t_2009.pdf for both law-specific and recommended fiction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulitzer_Prize_for_Fiction Pulitzer Prize for Fiction winners

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lokomani

New

Post by Lokomani » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:57 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:A couple lists I have bookmarked:

--LinkRemoved-- for conservative and libertarian principles and theories - helpful for radical liberals like myself

[url]http://www.willamette.edu/wucl/longlib/pre_law_list.html[/url] for general, law-specific books

[url]http://www.johnmarshall.edu/images/pdf/Recommended_Reading_List_2009.pdf[/url] for both law-specific and recommended fiction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulitzer_Prize_for_Fiction Pulitzer Prize for Fiction winners

Blatant TTT trolling

christmas mouse

New

Post by christmas mouse » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Hey go to the main forum page. Scroll down to forum for law school students. At the top will be 2 sticky threads. Collective tls wisdom and common 0L questions (or something like that).

The answers you seek can be found in these threads... But I warn you: once you begin your quest a small piece of you will die inside. Good luck!

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Lokomani wrote: Blatant TTT trolling
Because only T14 are literate? Get over yourself.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:55 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:If I had time to thoroughly read and understand one book between now and the time I enter law school in the fall, what should that book be and how will it benefit me as a 1L?
Moby Dick, because it is awesome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:58 pm

all 6 1L E&E's.
Getting to Maybe
LEEWS Primer

Non-prep books:
OneL - Scott Turow
A civil Action - Harr

jk about the EE's. maybe.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Many of your responses have been quite interesting (and those of you who don't fit into this category know who you are). Let me ask this question in a slighly different way that get better to the heart of what I'm looking for. What what are the books that everyone (faculty, staff, fellow students) will assume that you have read by the time you start law school? These books may hane nothing to do with law school directly or even with that law in general. I feel like I have kind of a "dark horse" sort of background - I am a classically trained musician - and have no significant coursework in the social sciences, philosophy, political science, english, and the like, unlike the bulk of law school applicants.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:07 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Many of your responses have been quite interesting (and those of you who don't fit into this category know who you are). Let me ask this question in a slighly different way that get better to the heart of what I'm looking for. What what are the books that everyone (faculty, staff, fellow students) will assume that you have read by the time you start law school? These books may hane nothing to do with law school directly or even with that law in general. I feel like I have kind of a "dark horse" sort of background - I am a classically trained musician - and have no significant coursework in the social sciences, philosophy, political science, english, and the like, unlike the bulk of law school applicants.
I don't think anyone will assume you've read any particular book, but it may be helpful to be familiar in general terms with basic microeconomic concepts, John Locke's social contract shit and ideas about property, and, somewhat less importantly, the basics of business.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:15 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Many of your responses have been quite interesting (and those of you who don't fit into this category know who you are). Let me ask this question in a slighly different way that get better to the heart of what I'm looking for. What what are the books that everyone (faculty, staff, fellow students) will assume that you have read by the time you start law school? These books may hane nothing to do with law school directly or even with that law in general. I feel like I have kind of a "dark horse" sort of background - I am a classically trained musician - and have no significant coursework in the social sciences, philosophy, political science, english, and the like, unlike the bulk of law school applicants.
Nothing. If you grew up in the US and had a traditional college prep track for high school, you'll have most of the socio-cultural references that other students and professors expect you to have. People come from a wide variety of backgrounds. That said, spend the year before 1L making a concerted effort to read the business section of the newspaper.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:37 pm

if you care at all about law school politics, http://www.amazon.com/Bond-Novel-George ... 1841139831
my roommate gave it to me. one of his professor's wrote it.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:38 pm

If you haven't had any logic courses, and didn't didn't study logic for the LSAT there is a book called Logic for Lawyers I would recommend. Find something to learn some basic economics for your torts class. It will help some.

As far a classic books, don't worry about it. The advise allot of people gave me was to read fiction, anything you enjoy, because you won't have time to do it later. Which is mostly true.

If your reading speed is subpar, read anything and everything. Mix fiction and non fiction, because not being able to read dense material will be to your detriment in law school. I would start with Freakonomics and Atlas Shrugged. Freakonomics will give you a perspective on social economics in basic terms and Atlas Shrugged will make you trudge through something you may not be that thrilled to read. I think thats good prep for law school.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:42 pm

go relax. i read a bunch of sci fi and mystery novels. it benefits your 1L yr because then you will be reading nothing but cases and miss casual reading T-T

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:42 pm

MoS wrote:
If you haven't had any logic courses, and didn't didn't study logic for the LSAT there is a book called Logic for Lawyers I would recommend. Find something to learn some basic economics for your torts class. It will help some.

As far a classic books, don't worry about it. The advise allot of people gave me was to read fiction, anything you enjoy, because you won't have time to do it later. Which is mostly true.

If your reading speed is subpar, read anything and everything. Mix fiction and non fiction, because not being able to read dense material will be to your detriment in law school. I would start with Freakonomics and Atlas Shrugged. Freakonomics will give you a perspective on social economics in basic terms and Atlas Shrugged will make you trudge through something you may not be that thrilled to read. I think thats good prep for law school.
I wouldn't even tell my enemies to read Ayn Rand.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”