parents Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
MoS

Bronze

Re: parents

Post by MoS » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:21 am

Put it on your resume under the personal section. Its says something about you. Will it make a huge difference, no. But some people really like to see stuff like that.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:21 am

justadude55 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm

It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...

200 plus years of slavery + another 100 years or so of what was essentially an apartheid system = an enormous disadvantage. Even to this day, a substantial number of the African-American population in this country have not graduated high school or college, let alone grad school. Most of the people my age from my town are the first generation of their family to graduate high school or college.

It doesn't seem like it when you live it, but there is a huge advantage (psychological and otherwise) that comes with having a member of your family graduate high school or college.
that is fair, but the past is the past. we sent the japanese to imprisonment camps, but i don't see them getting law school boosts. still, your point is fair but how to you quantify that? why should black children whose parents are doctors then get an advantage that also goes to black children whose parents never graduated high school? if we're going to do it, let's go off socioeconomic status.

I certainly agree that socioeconomic status should be a consideration. I also believe that race should play a role though. The problem is that adcomms and employers don't look that deep into it...

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:24 am

Would love to do a study on socioeconomic status/race and numbers. I wonder how that would stack up.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:28 am

Just because your parents didn't go to college, doesn't make one a first generation college graduate... I think... murr...

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:29 am

JG Hall wrote:Just because your parents didn't go to college, doesn't make one a first generation college graduate... I think... murr...

WTF? GTFOH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 am

JaLeCa wrote:
JG Hall wrote:Just because your parents didn't go to college, doesn't make one a first generation college graduate... I think... murr...

WTF? GTFOH.
Wtf? Grandparents.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 am

JaLeCa wrote:

WTF? GTFOH.
I don't know, I could see that happening fairly easily. Maybe one of your grandparents went to college, but your mom & dad didn't? Wouldn't have to be extraordinary circumstances, either. Maybe Mom was Suzie Homemaker and Dad had a career as an enlisted man in the military? Or your parents started/took over a business when they were young and never went to college?

2011L1

New

Post by 2011L1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 am

justadude55 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm

It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...

200 plus years of slavery + another 100 years or so of what was essentially an apartheid system = an enormous disadvantage. Even to this day, a substantial number of the African-American population in this country have not graduated high school or college, let alone grad school. Most of the people my age from my town are the first generation of their family to graduate high school or college.

It doesn't seem like it when you live it, but there is a huge advantage (psychological and otherwise) that comes with having a member of your family graduate high school or college.
that is fair, but the past is the past. we sent the japanese to imprisonment camps, but i don't see them getting law school boosts. still, your point is fair but how to you quantify that? why should black children whose parents are doctors then get an advantage that also goes to black children whose parents never graduated high school? if we're going to do it, let's go off socioeconomic status.
You are trying to turn this thread into pure stupidity but I won't you do that Flame!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:44 am

Being a first generation college student can make a big difference in how you adjust, what college you choose, and a bunch of other things. I'm sure it isn't a huge boost by itself but I think it can be a good diversity topic for middle class white kids to write about. My parents actually didn't want me to go to college for example. It might also explain transferring a few times or a poor freshman year or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:27 am

i have no problem with URMs receiving benefits because of their race, but imho i think that it would be completely stupid to apply this blindly, with many URMs who have a lot of advantages, especially in the big cities, maybe not the same in the south, but being from NYC there are plenty of affluent families that are URMs and have given them a lot more then what my family can afford to give me, i.e. choosing both undergrad and law school based on scholarships because i have to pay for school myself. I think it might be time to go on socioeconomic standards, because this will help EVERYONE who is disadvantaged, not just URMs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”