parents

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

parents

Postby lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:41 pm

i see a lot of people make the point to say that they are first generation graduates on their applications, does this impact at all. Neither of my parents attended college, so i was wondering how this is viewed by the admissions people

User avatar
2011L1
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: parents

Postby 2011L1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:44 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:i see a lot of people make the point to say that they are first generation graduates on their applications, does this impact at all. Neither of my parents attended college, so i was wondering how this is viewed by the admissions people


Depends if you are URM

lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: parents

Postby lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:46 pm

im not, but im curious nonetheless

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: parents

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:52 pm

if you are URM, or maybe even diverse, it looks good for you, like you overcame some shit. If you are white, they don't care.

User avatar
2011L1
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: parents

Postby 2011L1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:04 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:if you are URM, or maybe even diverse, it looks good for you, like you overcame some shit. If you are white, they don't care.


Basically being the 1st college grad non URM not a big deal. parent's could have been blue collar land owners.

lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: parents

Postby lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:09 pm

haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: parents

Postby JaLeCa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:14 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm



It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: parents

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:18 pm

JaLeCa wrote:
lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm



It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...

caring about white people is so 1900s. both of my parents are unemployed, and supporting myself through college definitely influenced my GPA especially when all the other kids came from rich families so my excuse being a half hour late because I needed to pay rent did not hold up. if my grades in college were based off exams, i'd have a 3.8, not 3.5. it is what it is. hopefully my kids can just focus on school, but yeah if you're poor and white in america, you are society's dirt. i take a lot of pride in my succeeding despite this.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: parents

Postby JaLeCa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:22 pm

justadude55 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm



It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...

caring about white people is so 1900s. both of my parents are unemployed, and supporting myself through college definitely influenced my GPA especially when all the other kids came from rich families so my excuse being a half hour late because I needed to pay rent did not hold up. if my grades in college were based off exams, i'd have a 3.8, not 3.5. it is what it is. hopefully my kids can just focus on school, but yeah if you're poor and white in america, you are society's dirt. i take a lot of pride in my succeeding despite this.



White or not- did you know everything that your peers knew about life after undergrad? I mean the rich snot peers with lawyer and doctor parents. Despite all my research, I was clueless. Forums like this alleviate some of that- thank goodness. But when I was in high school I assumed college degree= success, no matter what major you chose.

lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: parents

Postby lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:22 pm

agreed, instead of having my parents money to pay for prep courses and reviews i had to study on my own, and having to work 40 hours a week+school definitely took away from my LSAT studying time, and because of this same reason it is tough to decide if i should even retake knowing i dont have the time to really devote to proper studying.

What are ya gonna do ha

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: parents

Postby JaLeCa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:25 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:agreed, instead of having my parents money to pay for prep courses and reviews i had to study on my own, and having to work 40 hours a week+school definitely took away from my LSAT studying time, and because of this same reason it is tough to decide if i should even retake knowing i dont have the time to really devote to proper studying.

What are ya gonna do ha


Yeah, I know people who nonchalantly mentioned how their parents dropped money on their prep courses and then they decide, Naahhh- law school isn't for me. Omg, if only someone could do that for me. Ugh. I never had that kind of money just floating around- even if I tried to save it.

lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: parents

Postby lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:28 pm

in all seriousness what are the odds they even look at it anyway lol

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: parents

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:30 pm

IDK, on apps that actually ask this 'yes/no' re: first generation college I would think the answer could be considered independently of URM status. Can anyone confirm that this never results in even a minor boost for non-URMs (other than just stating that is the case)?

lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: parents

Postby lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:30 pm

not sure, wondered the same thing, usually it asked first generation then for your parents occupations, so maybe they take it all into account, but theres really know way to know the applicants actual situation

User avatar
2011L1
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: parents

Postby 2011L1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:39 pm

JaLeCa wrote:
lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm



It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...


Not really barely Land owner is a big difference from not being one. And being from a semi privileged URM family still doesn't make you "In the house" when you are looked upon you are still an URM. Not to say we are in Jim Crown south, but historically there have been fewer options. If you doubt the truth to what I am saying take a tour of the law school you want to attend and count the URM's you see there especially males. Good luck Lawschool12345 I wish you success

lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: parents

Postby lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 pm

thanks 2011L1 , appreciate the kind words, i dont have any kind of problem with the curve for URMs at all, just i do believe that their should be a socioeconomic factor as well, cause i know a lot of urms with a lot of money and a lot of oppurtunities

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: parents

Postby JaLeCa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:44 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:thanks 2011L1 , appreciate the kind words, i dont have any kind of problem with the curve for URMs at all, just i do believe that their should be a socioeconomic factor as well, cause i know a lot of urms with a lot of money and a lot of oppurtunities


Agreed

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: parents

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:48 pm

JaLeCa wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm



It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...

caring about white people is so 1900s. both of my parents are unemployed, and supporting myself through college definitely influenced my GPA especially when all the other kids came from rich families so my excuse being a half hour late because I needed to pay rent did not hold up. if my grades in college were based off exams, i'd have a 3.8, not 3.5. it is what it is. hopefully my kids can just focus on school, but yeah if you're poor and white in america, you are society's dirt. i take a lot of pride in my succeeding despite this.



White or not- did you know everything that your peers knew about life after undergrad? I mean the rich snot peers with lawyer and doctor parents. Despite all my research, I was clueless. Forums like this alleviate some of that- thank goodness. But when I was in high school I assumed college degree= success, no matter what major you chose.

honestly, my peers are clueless about survival in comparison to myself. having to survive and grow, i became a go-getter naturally, just by lack of any other choice. i have a small tutoring company, and give some of those same rich kids part time employment.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: parents

Postby JaLeCa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:52 pm

justadude55 wrote:

honestly, my peers are clueless about survival in comparison to myself. having to survive and grow, i became a go-getter naturally, just by lack of any other choice. i have a small tutoring company, and give some of those same rich kids part time employment.



Honestly, I think all rich kids are at a disadvantage when it comes to survival 101.

lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: parents

Postby lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:53 pm

but a huge advantage at LSAT 101 lol, which means a lot more in the eyes of admissions

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: parents

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:55 pm

if you can break a 164, you can get a job for Kaplan. then you'll have time to study.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: parents

Postby JaLeCa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:57 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:but a huge advantage at LSAT 101 lol, which means a lot more in the eyes of admissions



Lol, which isn't going to mean shit when the whole world is scrounging for food. If that's any encouragement.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: parents

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:01 am

JaLeCa wrote:
lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm



It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...



200 plus years of slavery + another 100 years or so of what was essentially an apartheid system = an enormous disadvantage. Even to this day, a substantial number of the African-American population in this country have not graduated high school or college, let alone grad school. Most of the people my age from my town are the first generation of their family to graduate high school or college.

It doesn't seem like it when you live it, but there is a huge advantage (psychological and otherwise) that comes with having a member of your family graduate high school or college.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: parents

Postby justadude55 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:16 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm



It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...



200 plus years of slavery + another 100 years or so of what was essentially an apartheid system = an enormous disadvantage. Even to this day, a substantial number of the African-American population in this country have not graduated high school or college, let alone grad school. Most of the people my age from my town are the first generation of their family to graduate high school or college.

It doesn't seem like it when you live it, but there is a huge advantage (psychological and otherwise) that comes with having a member of your family graduate high school or college.

that is fair, but the past is the past. we sent the japanese to imprisonment camps, but i don't see them getting law school boosts. still, your point is fair but how to you quantify that? why should black children whose parents are doctors then get an advantage that also goes to black children whose parents never graduated high school? if we're going to do it, let's go off socioeconomic status.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: parents

Postby JaLeCa » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:17 am

A lot of the higher status blacks don't have the lower status blacks interests at heart, so I agree with the socioeconomic status factor greatly.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest