Decided to wait a cycle...now what? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gobuffs10

Bronze

Re: Decided to wait a cycle...now what?

Post by gobuffs10 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:18 pm

I had one more question. How do I keep taking classes that count toward my GPA once all my degree requirements are met? I mean, I'll technically be finished in May. How do I get to keep taking random courses to boost my GPA? Does it not matter so long as I don't graduate? It seems strange that I could have completed all my requirements yet still be taking courses.

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Switching to a cc is not necessarily the best strategy at this point. It will be more apparent you are padding your GPA, and there is something to be said for the stability of a single UG institution. Your degree school likely will not factor the grades into your GPA, but LSAC will, so that's something to consider. Get to an advisor at your UG school and discuss your options. Many UG students have far more than the minimum number of credits before they apply for the degree. It's not unusual to decide late in UG to pick up another major. You would have an interesting addendum explaining that you lacked maturity at the start of UG and stayed there both to demonstrate maturity and to improve your GPA. Would your parents let you stay there for a few more months if they understood what is at stake? The decisions you make now will follow you the rest of your life. All the best whatever you decide.

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:11 am

fastforward wrote:Switching to a cc is not necessarily the best strategy at this point. It will be more apparent you are padding your GPA, and there is something to be said for the stability of a single UG institution. Your degree school likely will not factor the grades into your GPA, but LSAC will, so that's something to consider. Get to an advisor at your UG school and discuss your options. Many UG students have far more than the minimum number of credits before they apply for the degree. It's not unusual to decide late in UG to pick up another major. You would have an interesting addendum explaining that you lacked maturity at the start of UG and stayed there both to demonstrate maturity and to improve your GPA. Would your parents let you stay there for a few more months if they understood what is at stake? The decisions you make now will follow you the rest of your life. All the best whatever you decide.
Much appreciated.

To be honest, I'm not sure. They both think I ought to graduate and go to whatever school will have me. They're even upset I'm delaying a cycle and not applying to T3s. To them, it doesn't make a bit of difference where I go to school. I live in Denver, so most of their experience is with lawyers who went to DU, which is why they think it doesn't matter. They don't seem to understand that there are so many DU lawyers here because Denver is pretty isolated from the big schools. My dad was pretty unhappy when I brought up delaying graduation; some choice language was thrown my way.

Their other plan is to start at DU or somewhere and transfer to where I want to go. Again, not the greatest idea.

My whole life I've been satisfied with mediocrity, so I can understand why they find it strange that I don't want to settle on a law school. I agree to a point; I could wait a year and go to Denver and probably find a job in Denver at some point. It's such an investment of time, money, energy and emotions, though, that I'd like to do as best as I possibly can. Oh well. I'm pretty determined at this point, but it's stressful. Thank you for the advice.

EDIT: sorry for the novels. cough syrup. damn you cold.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”