Undergrad Major

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Undergrad Major

Postby tc3d » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:23 pm

I have aspirations to become cooperate lawyer one day. Would it be better to major in Finance with a minor in Economics or Buisness Management with a minor in Economics or does it even matter?

Re: Undergrad Major

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:25 pm

Whichever you will be more likely to get good grades in.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:29 pm

It doesn't matter. Chose whichever one you think you will do better in. As a matter of fact, if there is another subject outside of those that you will do better in, choose that. Your major will play little to no role in your outcomes. The only way I think it would matter is if you plan to have some gap time, and will want a job in a certain field while you take time off. Bottom line--Get the best grades you can.

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Also either is good if law school doesn't pan out for some reason, so choose the easier one for you to get a better GPA in. Or the one you like better. BM is probably easier than Finance though.

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Don't pick a major based on what will help you learn the law or what you think will help you get in, because it really doesn't matter much. Pick a major that is:

1. Something you like
2. Something you can get a high GPA in
3. Something that will help you get a job if you decide not to go to law school or take time off

Postby tc3d » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks I really appreciate the feedback.

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:31 am

johnnyutah wrote:Whichever you will be more likely to get good grades in.

Postby blong4133 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:27 pm

My degree is in history. Although I think it is a great degree to have when going into law school, the downside is that if law school doesn't work out for me I won't really have much to fall back on. I would basically have to go back to school to really do anything with it.

Having said that, I have found that law school is not nearly as much work as I had expected because of my degree. Being a history major, I was always loaded with reading assigments and huge writing assignments etc. A lot of my friends here who have a degree in business or criminal justice or whatever have the most trouble with time management and being able to handle the workload. The ones who seem to have the least amount of trouble, at least in my experience, are the ones who have history, literature, or english degrees simply because they're used to having to digest a lot of materials in a short period of time. Having said that, digesting and understanding law school materials is much different than any other subject. I had to completely changed the way I studied when I arrived at law school, and I did well in undergrad.

In echoing the earlier posters, at the end of the day it comes down to doing what you feel you can get the best GPA in. Your GPA and LSAT score is what will get you into law school. One of my buddies who graduated from law school a few years ago said that "if you can get into law school, you can graduate from law school. It just depends on your willingness to do the work, and adjust your habits to suit your situation." It probably won't really matter what your degree is in, but just try to get into a major that you feel you can do the best in. Once you get into law school, it will probably be a big change no matter what your undergraduate dgree is.

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:30 pm

okay, my msg, while similar to everyone else's, is still a tad different

#1 priority is still to major in something that gets you the best grades that you can get

...but if you want to do transactional work, it may be HELPFUL (though by no means necessary) to have a business background -- at least that is what ive heard from a number of corporate lawyers/partners

does not really affect law school one way or another, esp. since law schools pretty much do not prep you for transactional corporate work anyways...but having a business background, if it is all the same to you grade-wise/interest-wise, would probably help you out when you start biglaw work (assuming that is where you wanted to be). personally, i kinda wish i tacked on another major in something business just for the knowledge/familiarity

Return to “Law School FAQ”