What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
thedude221
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:21 pm

What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby thedude221 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:03 am

Still only being 20 years old and having just been accepted at U of C I haven't had a lot of time to really research legal fields that I may potentially find myself interested it. As a general question, what advantages does going to a school like U of C afford me? With good grades could I write my check to nearly any position I wanted? Any input would be much appreciated.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:47 am

First off, congrats on the acceptance to an incredible school. You are still young as hell for law school (I'm only a year older than you but still, thats dope that you finished UG early). Regardless, you are obviously a smart human being, if you can get the grades, which isn't easy, you will have your pick of a six figure salary job. By the time you're doing OCI and stuff like that, you are going to be a few years younger than people in your section interviewing, so I would say just try to present yourself as mature as possible, because if you have the grades that could be the only thing holding you back.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby Ragged » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:53 am

Shouldn't the title say "top 6 law school"?

Or is this anti-NYU trolling?

Or are you just trying to be as elitist as possible?


In any case, congrats on Chicago. That's an iight school.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby IAFG » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:55 am

"any position" in the legal field. unfortunately the legal field is TTT. go get a job.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:57 am

thedude221 wrote:Still only being 20 years old and having just been accepted at U of C I haven't had a lot of time to really research legal fields that I may potentially find myself interested it. As a general question, what advantages does going to a school like U of C afford me? With good grades could I write my check to nearly any position I wanted? Any input would be much appreciated.


But bad grades means unemployment.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:01 am

Desert Fox wrote:
But bad grades means unemployment.


Image

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby glewz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:09 am

Ragged wrote:Shouldn't the title say "top 6 law school"?

Or is this anti-NYU trolling?

Or are you just trying to be as elitist as possible?


In any case, congrats on Chicago. That's an iight school.



Don't think OP is "anti-NYU trolling" - sounds like he just looked at the 2011 rankings --> chicago is 5

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby Ragged » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:15 am

glewz wrote:
Ragged wrote:Shouldn't the title say "top 6 law school"?

Or is this anti-NYU trolling?

Or are you just trying to be as elitist as possible?


In any case, congrats on Chicago. That's an iight school.



Don't think OP is "anti-NYU trolling" - sounds like he just looked at the 2011 rankings --> chicago is 5


But he's been around long enough to know that NYU is peer to UofC.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:20 am

If I was going to make a T5 UChi wouldn't be in it ITE.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If I was going to make a T5 UChi wouldn't be in it ITE.

Your mom wouldn't be in my T5 ITE.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What sort of doors does going to a top 5 law school open?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:38 pm

I would go to U of C at sticker in a heartbeat, but do know that bad grades, even at a school like that, can create some hardship when looking for jobs. You'd be in a good position for a job from a school like Chicago. The real question is whether you are ready for law school at this point and are willing to take on the debt. If I had a chance to do it all over, I would have taken time off, if for no other reason than to play video games, party, and chill for a year or two before plunging into the hectic life of law school/law jorb. I'd recommend thinking about trying to defer for a year, but to each their own. Congrats.

PS. Great tar and username.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest