Why X Essay

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Why X Essay

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:12 pm

This is just a clarification, is the rule of thumb send Why X essays to Penn, UVa, Michigan and Duke if you're applying there RD?

User avatar
Lokomani
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 am

Re: Why X Essay

Postby Lokomani » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Why did you even ask this question? Think about it.....keep thinking....

Common sense should tell you - if you want to get into any school - you should show them that you want it.

P.S. critical evaluation is a big part of law school. Use it or lose it.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:18 pm

The fact that people talk to posters on TLS in a way that they would never in real life, makes me shake my head. Because if you gave me an answer like that in real life, you would get the shit smacked out of you. So thank your computer for protecting you.

As for your response, it's not a common sense question, the question was, are those 4 schools the ones that place the most weight on the "Why X" Essays. People don't write a "Why X" Essay for every school they apply. So fuck your critical evaluation skills.

Now can anyone answer are those the 4 schools that place the most weight on those essays. Thank You.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Why X Essay

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Uh yeah. That whole bracket of schools are the most insecure. They like to be reassured that you actually want to go there.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:24 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Uh yeah. That whole bracket of schools are the most insecure. They like to be reassured that you actually want to go there.


Thank you sir. I just wasn't sure if Duke was that last one included.

User avatar
Lokomani
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 am

Re: Why X Essay

Postby Lokomani » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Hah. I see your e-peen is big. I however keep my CCW handy

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Lokomani wrote:Hah. I see your e-peen is big. I however keep my CCW handy


Lokomani are you Asian?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:26 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:The fact that people talk to posters on TLS in a way that they would never in real life, makes me shake my head. Because if you gave me an answer like that in real life, you would get the shit smacked out of you. So thank your computer for protecting you.

As for your response, it's not a common sense question, the question was, are those 4 schools the ones that place the most weight on the "Why X" Essays. People don't write a "Why X" Essay for every school they apply. So fuck your critical evaluation skills.

Now can anyone answer are those the 4 schools that place the most weight on those essays. Thank You.


I don't suppose you would tell someone in real life that you would "smack the shit out of you" either since you are talking on TLS. :roll:

FWIW if you ask me this in person I'd say the exact same thing. I'd love to see you try to "smack the shit out of" me.

User avatar
pu_golf88
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:34 am

Re: Why X Essay

Postby pu_golf88 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:39 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Lokomani wrote:Hah. I see your e-peen is big. I however keep my CCW handy


Lokomani are you Asian?


This could get good.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:34 am

r6_philly wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:The fact that people talk to posters on TLS in a way that they would never in real life, makes me shake my head. Because if you gave me an answer like that in real life, you would get the shit smacked out of you. So thank your computer for protecting you.

As for your response, it's not a common sense question, the question was, are those 4 schools the ones that place the most weight on the "Why X" Essays. People don't write a "Why X" Essay for every school they apply. So fuck your critical evaluation skills.

Now can anyone answer are those the 4 schools that place the most weight on those essays. Thank You.


I don't suppose you would tell someone in real life that you would "smack the shit out of you" either since you are talking on TLS. :roll:

FWIW if you ask me this in person I'd say the exact same thing. I'd love to see you try to "smack the shit out of" me.



I'm not about to argue with you who would win in a hypothetical fight, the fact that you jumped in and said that, shows alot with how secure you are with your "fighting ability". You need to convince yourself over the internet that I couldn't "slap the shit out of you" IRL. With that being said, I don't come on these boards trying to be a tough guy or whatever, I asked a simple question and lokomani did not need to bring a rude response to the table, it wasn't a "dumb" question, I just wanted to clarify something. So fuck both Lokomani and r6Philly, and if either of you are Asian, fuck you both even more. Nothing more I hate then ORM's.

toptwin
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby toptwin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:04 am

Lol .. getting worked up over someone who was rude to you over the internet = funny..

hating on ORM = pathetic.

User avatar
Dex
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby Dex » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:44 am

ITT Supra gets in an argument and threatens physical violence when he doesn't get the response he wants in the way he wants it.

Those life/problem solving skills are going to come in real handy for you as a "professional" attorney someday aren't they?

Oh, you are a racist as well? You're such a peach! I'm sure interviewers are going to love you someday.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:49 am

SupraVln180 wrote:I'm not about to argue with you who would win in a hypothetical fight, the fact that you jumped in and said that, shows alot with how secure you are with your "fighting ability". You need to convince yourself over the internet that I couldn't "slap the shit out of you" IRL. With that being said, I don't come on these boards trying to be a tough guy or whatever, I asked a simple question and lokomani did not need to bring a rude response to the table, it wasn't a "dumb" question, I just wanted to clarify something. So fuck both Lokomani and r6Philly, and if either of you are Asian, fuck you both even more. Nothing more I hate then ORM's.


When did I say anything about my fighting abilities? I just implied you wouldn't because you are on the Internet talking tough. (let me help you here: I would love to see you slap the shit out of me because I know you wouldn't)

If you actually are a tough guy who would resort to physical violence when someone says something you don't like, you would

1. be in prison

or

2. be dead

Since you are neither, and you are not apparently a convicted felon (since you are trying to become a lawyer), I am going to assume you never really assaulted anyone badly enough to get you arrested and convicted of something worthwhile.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:06 am

To try and clear up the hostility a little...:
Yes, those schools are generally the ones where many people will get YP'ed simply for (among qualified numbers) not expressing enough interest in the school.
That being said, such an essay is NOT necessary (although it never hurts) at CCN, as long as your numbers + application are solid. Some schools, like Cornell or WUSTL, will include a line in the application about why you want to go to the school or what the school can do for you. If this is the case or you have tailored your PS to MVPB or the aforementioned schools, a Why X can be redundant and not necessary.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:40 am

Dex wrote:ITT Supra gets in an argument and threatens physical violence when he doesn't get the response he wants in the way he wants it.

Those life/problem solving skills are going to come in real handy for you as a "professional" attorney someday aren't they?

Oh, you are a racist as well? You're such a peach! I'm sure interviewers are going to love you someday.


I am not racist, I was joking about the Asian ORM thing, but I guess people are too sensitive to think anything is funny (I am a minority, so I don't know why everyone is so sensitive about their own ethnicity b/c I always was able to laugh at hispanic jokes). And although, TLS is extremely informative and most of you guys, including the ones I tend to argue with are extremely knowledgeable about the admissions process, etc., you all try to be someone you're not on this stupid message board, I'm sure 95% of the posters on here who leave rude responses, posts, etc. are people who get picked on in real life. I say that to say this, I made a post asking a question, Lokomani made a rude reponse that didn't even answer my question, so I said you would never say that to me in real life b/c you would get the shit slapped out of you (which is 150% true, although noone is claiming to be tough, I would suspect anyone who makes rude remarks would get the shit smacked out of them whether its me doing the pimp-smacking or someone else). Point being, Thank you TLSers who are considerate and helpful and all you "other" TLSers, before you post some dumb shit that isn't even helpful, just restrain yourself for the betterment of humanity and this board.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:19 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
I am not racist, I was joking about the Asian ORM thing, but I guess people are too sensitive to think anything is funny (I am a minority, so I don't know why everyone is so sensitive about their own ethnicity b/c I always was able to laugh at hispanic jokes). And although, TLS is extremely informative and most of you guys, including the ones I tend to argue with are extremely knowledgeable about the admissions process, etc., you all try to be someone you're not on this stupid message board, I'm sure 95% of the posters on here who leave rude responses, posts, etc. are people who get picked on in real life. I say that to say this, I made a post asking a question, Lokomani made a rude reponse that didn't even answer my question, so I said you would never say that to me in real life b/c you would get the shit slapped out of you (which is 150% true, although noone is claiming to be tough, I would suspect anyone who makes rude remarks would get the shit smacked out of them whether its me doing the pimp-smacking or someone else). Point being, Thank you TLSers who are considerate and helpful and all you "other" TLSers, before you post some dumb shit that isn't even helpful, just restrain yourself for the betterment of humanity and this board.


No one gets the "shit smack out of" in real life without consequences of one sort or another. Your statements just make you sound like the same Internet tough guy that you are trying make fun of. I am not a tough guy, but I have lived in a tough world all my life. If anyone even talk about smacking anyone there will be a few holes in your chest soon enough. Real thugs don't fight, they shoot. So if you have actually "pimp-smack" anyone, you must have smacked some elementary school kids... Wait, even elementary school kids take guns to schools now around here. FWIW there were at least 3 murders within 2 blocks of my house in the last 6 months due to someone talking smack to someone else, so I don't really take you seriously since you are living and free.

edited for typo.
Last edited by r6_philly on Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lokomani
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 am

Re: Why X Essay

Postby Lokomani » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:22 pm

Supra, I'm glad you're good with a shovel...seeing as you can dig your own grave so quickly.

I'm a black male, and proud. The question you asked is quite possibly the most basic thing I have ever heard, and if you have to ask, you may not go far in any profession. There's a level of autonomous thought you should have acquired by now, so if you couldn't figure this question out on your own, it saddens me.

P.S. Where I'm from we don't fight, CCW = permit to Carry a Concealed Weapon.
Last edited by Lokomani on Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DukeCornell
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am

Re: Why X Essay

Postby DukeCornell » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:33 pm

I said you would never say that to me in real life b/c you would get the shit slapped out of you (which is 150% true, although noone is claiming to be tough, I would suspect anyone who makes rude remarks would get the shit smacked out of them whether its me doing the pimp-smacking or someone else).


This is some funny shit. I sooooo thought I was the only TLS'er who enjoys slapping the shit out of people. Lol dude, I hope we're applying to the same law schools...you're my new BFF :lol:

User avatar
DukeCornell
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am

Re: Why X Essay

Postby DukeCornell » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:37 pm

If anyone even talk about smacking anyone there will be a few holes in your chest soon enough. Real thugs don't fight, they shoot. So if you have actually "pimp-smack" anyone, you must have smacked some elementary school kids...


Hahahahahahaha! Yall are wild. You're my new BFF in waiting. :lol:

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby TT09 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:04 pm

Internet Tough Guys...FTW?

User avatar
Dex
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby Dex » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:25 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Dex wrote:ITT Supra gets in an argument and threatens physical violence when he doesn't get the response he wants in the way he wants it.

Those life/problem solving skills are going to come in real handy for you as a "professional" attorney someday aren't they?

Oh, you are a racist as well? You're such a peach! I'm sure interviewers are going to love you someday.


I am not racist, I was joking about the Asian ORM thing, but I guess people are too sensitive to think anything is funny (I am a minority, so I don't know why everyone is so sensitive about their own ethnicity b/c I always was able to laugh at hispanic jokes). And although, TLS is extremely informative and most of you guys, including the ones I tend to argue with are extremely knowledgeable about the admissions process, etc., you all try to be someone you're not on this stupid message board, I'm sure 95% of the posters on here who leave rude responses, posts, etc. are people who get picked on in real life. I say that to say this, I made a post asking a question, Lokomani made a rude reponse that didn't even answer my question, so I said you would never say that to me in real life b/c you would get the shit slapped out of you (which is 150% true, although noone is claiming to be tough, I would suspect anyone who makes rude remarks would get the shit smacked out of them whether its me doing the pimp-smacking or someone else). Point being, Thank you TLSers who are considerate and helpful and all you "other" TLSers, before you post some dumb shit that isn't even helpful, just restrain yourself for the betterment of humanity and this board.


The valuable life lessons I've learned from Supra:

1. If you are joking, then its not racism.

2. If you are a minority yourself, you are allowed to be racist toward other minorities.

3. If you say something rude there is a 150% chance that you will get the shit smacked out of you. The one doing the shit smacking apparently has no lasting consequences for this action.

toptwin
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby toptwin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Dex wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Dex wrote:ITT Supra gets in an argument and threatens physical violence when he doesn't get the response he wants in the way he wants it.

Those life/problem solving skills are going to come in real handy for you as a "professional" attorney someday aren't they?

Oh, you are a racist as well? You're such a peach! I'm sure interviewers are going to love you someday.


I am not racist, I was joking about the Asian ORM thing, but I guess people are too sensitive to think anything is funny (I am a minority, so I don't know why everyone is so sensitive about their own ethnicity b/c I always was able to laugh at hispanic jokes). And although, TLS is extremely informative and most of you guys, including the ones I tend to argue with are extremely knowledgeable about the admissions process, etc., you all try to be someone you're not on this stupid message board, I'm sure 95% of the posters on here who leave rude responses, posts, etc. are people who get picked on in real life. I say that to say this, I made a post asking a question, Lokomani made a rude reponse that didn't even answer my question, so I said you would never say that to me in real life b/c you would get the shit slapped out of you (which is 150% true, although noone is claiming to be tough, I would suspect anyone who makes rude remarks would get the shit smacked out of them whether its me doing the pimp-smacking or someone else). Point being, Thank you TLSers who are considerate and helpful and all you "other" TLSers, before you post some dumb shit that isn't even helpful, just restrain yourself for the betterment of humanity and this board.


The valuable life lessons I've learned from Supra:

1. If you are joking, then its not racism.

2. If you are a minority yourself, you are allowed to be racist toward other minorities.

3. If you say something rude there is a 150% chance that you will get the shit smacked out of you. The one doing the shit smacking apparently has no lasting consequences for this action.



HAHHAHAHAHAH

User avatar
DukeCornell
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am

Re: Why X Essay

Postby DukeCornell » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:20 pm

toptwin wrote:
Dex wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Dex wrote:ITT Supra gets in an argument and threatens physical violence when he doesn't get the response he wants in the way he wants it.

Those life/problem solving skills are going to come in real handy for you as a "professional" attorney someday aren't they?

Oh, you are a racist as well? You're such a peach! I'm sure interviewers are going to love you someday.


I am not racist, I was joking about the Asian ORM thing, but I guess people are too sensitive to think anything is funny (I am a minority, so I don't know why everyone is so sensitive about their own ethnicity b/c I always was able to laugh at hispanic jokes). And although, TLS is extremely informative and most of you guys, including the ones I tend to argue with are extremely knowledgeable about the admissions process, etc., you all try to be someone you're not on this stupid message board, I'm sure 95% of the posters on here who leave rude responses, posts, etc. are people who get picked on in real life. I say that to say this, I made a post asking a question, Lokomani made a rude reponse that didn't even answer my question, so I said you would never say that to me in real life b/c you would get the shit slapped out of you (which is 150% true, although noone is claiming to be tough, I would suspect anyone who makes rude remarks would get the shit smacked out of them whether its me doing the pimp-smacking or someone else). Point being, Thank you TLSers who are considerate and helpful and all you "other" TLSers, before you post some dumb shit that isn't even helpful, just restrain yourself for the betterment of humanity and this board.


The valuable life lessons I've learned from Supra:

1. If you are joking, then its not racism.

2. If you are a minority yourself, you are allowed to be racist toward other minorities.

3. If you say something rude there is a 150% chance that you will get the shit smacked out of you. The one doing the shit smacking apparently has no lasting consequences for this action.



HAHHAHAHAHAH


+1 Hahahahahahahahaha!

User avatar
kitmitzi
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby kitmitzi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:18 am

So, sorry for returning this back to the topic and sorry that I'm an idiot if this is such an obvious question...but can it ever hurt to send a Why X essay? In the past I've remembered reading articles about admissions committees being annoyed with extra material and holding it against the applicant.

Also, what's an appropriate length? I've been doing one page because I assume they don't want several pages of extra reading.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Why X Essay

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:33 am

kitmitzi wrote:So, sorry for returning this back to the topic and sorry that I'm an idiot if this is such an obvious question...but can it ever hurt to send a Why X essay? In the past I've remembered reading articles about admissions committees being annoyed with extra material and holding it against the applicant.

Also, what's an appropriate length? I've been doing one page because I assume they don't want several pages of extra reading.


If you write a horrible why x then it could hurt. If it reads like a generic statement, it won't help much. If it reads like you didn't really research the school but was just forced into writing one, it may even hurt.

1 page is probably the standard. I wouldn't put more than that. You can also tailor the PS to the school at the same time as well for a cohesive package.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests