Tips for a Stanford Law Applicant

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
JoeShmoe11
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Tips for a Stanford Law Applicant

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Hello everyone. If you frequent the CLS ED topic you might know me but after getting deferred ED for CLS I figure Id like to throw my hat in the ring at Stanford. I really love the school, the atmosphere and oh do I love that California weather. Anyways Ive got 3.81/172, double major at a T60 public school, own a business and have good volunterr work. Shaky on the leadership and other ECs though, only have one as an editor of a publication. Anyone have any tips for applying to Stanford? A specific way I should try to sell myself or any info on what type of PS might go over best would be helpful. To be honest after getting dinged from CLS my confidence is a bit down since I thought I was in for sure. Thus Id like to go into applying to Stanford with as much knolwedge as possible. Thank you.

EDIT: Two more questions. Im starting an internship with a local superior court judge in January and was wondering if its woth waiting to apply til late January to get it on my resume and maybe get a recommendation from her or should I just apply ASAP? Also how much is applying this latw going to hurt my chances?
Last edited by JoeShmoe11 on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Tips for a Stanford Law Applicant

Postby Knock » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:50 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:Hello everyone. If you frequent the CLS ED topic you might know me but aftrr getting deferred ED for CLS I figure Id like to throw my hat in the ring at Stanford. I really love the school, the atmosphere and oh do I love that California weather. Anyways Ive got 3.81/172, double major at a T60 public school, own a business and have good volunterr work. Shaky on the leadership and other ECs though, only have one as an editor of a publication. Anyone have assn y tips for applying to Stanford? a specific way I should try to sell myself or any info on what type of PS might go ovet best. To be honest aftrr getting dinged from CLS my confidence is a bit down so nce I thought I was in for sure so od like to go into applying to Stanford with as much knolwedge as possible. Thank you.


You haven't applied yet? SLS is more selective than CLS and they don't have an ED option. If you have a sincere interest in PI, I've heard they appreciate that, but only if it is genuine. They also like engineers, but there's really nothing you can do about that at this point.

Edit: I'm a little surprised you got deferred ED at CLS at/above both medians.

User avatar
JoeShmoe11
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Tips for a Stanford Law Applicant

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Knock wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:Hello everyone. If you frequent the CLS ED topic you might know me but aftrr getting deferred ED for CLS I figure Id like to throw my hat in the ring at Stanford. I really love the school, the atmosphere and oh do I love that California weather. Anyways Ive got 3.81/172, double major at a T60 public school, own a business and have good volunterr work. Shaky on the leadership and other ECs though, only have one as an editor of a publication. Anyone have assn y tips for applying to Stanford? a specific way I should try to sell myself or any info on what type of PS might go ovet best. To be honest aftrr getting dinged from CLS my confidence is a bit down so nce I thought I was in for sure so od like to go into applying to Stanford with as much knolwedge as possible. Thank you.


You haven't applied yet? SLS is more selective than CLS and they don't have an ED option. If you have a sincere interest in PI, I've heard they appreciate that, but only if it is genuine. They also like engineers, but there's really nothing you can do about that at this point.

Edit: I'm a little surprised you got deferred ED at CLS at/above both medians.


I was extremely surprised as well. I know it is uncommon but I think I've still got a chance to be admitted even off the deferral list, especially after I update my transcript with a slightly better GPA and the internship and hopefully a shiny new recommendation. I honestly have NO idea why I was deferred. I shocked myself, my family, and the ED thread.

Anyways I figure that's behind me now and while I know that SLS is more selective my stats are not all that far off - 75% LSAT, 25-50% GPA, and decent-ish softs. Just trying to maximize my chances of success at SLS though I realize time is not on my side.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Tips for a Stanford Law Applicant

Postby Knock » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:58 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
Knock wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:Hello everyone. If you frequent the CLS ED topic you might know me but aftrr getting deferred ED for CLS I figure Id like to throw my hat in the ring at Stanford. I really love the school, the atmosphere and oh do I love that California weather. Anyways Ive got 3.81/172, double major at a T60 public school, own a business and have good volunterr work. Shaky on the leadership and other ECs though, only have one as an editor of a publication. Anyone have assn y tips for applying to Stanford? a specific way I should try to sell myself or any info on what type of PS might go ovet best. To be honest aftrr getting dinged from CLS my confidence is a bit down so nce I thought I was in for sure so od like to go into applying to Stanford with as much knolwedge as possible. Thank you.


You haven't applied yet? SLS is more selective than CLS and they don't have an ED option. If you have a sincere interest in PI, I've heard they appreciate that, but only if it is genuine. They also like engineers, but there's really nothing you can do about that at this point.

Edit: I'm a little surprised you got deferred ED at CLS at/above both medians.


I was extremely surprised as well. I know it is uncommon but I think I've still got a chance to be admitted even off the deferral list, especially after I update my transcript with a slightly better GPA and the internship and hopefully a shiny new recommendation. I honestly have NO idea why I was deferred. I shocked myself, my family, and the ED thread.

Anyways I figure that's behind me now and while I know that SLS is more selective my stats are not all that far off - 75% LSAT, 25-50% GPA, and decent-ish softs. Just trying to maximize my chances of success at SLS though I realize time is not on my side.


Yeah, good luck to you man.

User avatar
JoeShmoe11
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Tips for a Stanford Law Applicant

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Knock wrote:
Yeah, good luck to you man.


Thanks. I realize my chances aren't exactly great, especially this late but I'm sure people have gotten into much farther reaches.

Anyone else have any helpful tidbits?

EDIT: Just peaked at LSN and man are the odds stacked against me.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Tips for a Stanford Law Applicant

Postby trudat15 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:15 pm

Very surprised you got deferred as well. Good luck with Stanford. I cant give you many tips, but you should get in your Deans Cert to your Dean ASAP (since it may take him/her some time to get it out to Stanford). Also, I've heard that they like targeted letters, so if you have any recommenders willing to write one, get those to the recommenders ASAP since it will take them time to write and send to LSAC.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 1 guest