Should I...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
iiibbystar

Should I...

Postby iiibbystar » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi everyone! I was wondering if you guys could help give me some advice. I am currently in my last year of undergrad. My school is on the quarter system, and I have the remaining Winter and Spring quarters left. However, I will have fulfilled the requirements and units to graduate at the end of Winter quarter. I was wondering if I should stick around for Spring quarter to raise my GPA (assuming I get all A's). Or, should I just graduate early, and begin my LSAT studying from April until October. Is it better to take the extra time to study for the LSAT, or should I just stay my last quarter and work on my GPA? I'm having doubts because I know that once I graduate, there would no longer be opportunities to me to improve my GPA.

I hope the answer isn't glaringly obvious, but could anyone give me advice on which option is better?
Last edited by iiibbystar on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Re: Should I...

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Enjoy college. You don't need that long to study for the LSAT.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Oh, and try to take the LSAT in June if you can. But still, enjoy college. Take some easier classes; study for LSAT.

iiibbystar

Postby iiibbystar » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:46 pm

rad law wrote:Oh, and try to take the LSAT in June if you can. But still, enjoy college. Take some easier classes; study for LSAT.

Okay!! Thank you for your advice!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Sounds like a perfectly fine idea to me, but make absolutely positive that your school won't graduate you anyway.

I stuck around for an extra spring quarter after finishing all my requirements because I had a really fun internship with the athletic department PR office and I didn't want to miss baseball season. They had told us that we would absolutely, positively NOT graduate unless and until we applied to have our academic records reviewed for completion, full payment, etc. I wanted to delay graduating until June, so I just registered for another term and didn't apply for graduation.

Without any communication to or from me, the university granted me my degree in March. I had absolutely no idea they'd done it until I walked across the stage at commencement in June and got an empty diploma folder. I finally tracked my 3-month-old diploma down in the registrar's office, filed with all the other March grads who hadn't picked theirs up. My transcripts and my diploma say I graduated in March, even though I was enrolled until June. They also didn't tell me anything was amiss in June when I actually did apply for graduation, even though I'd already graduated.

So my final quarter of elective upper division writing courses (all As) didn't count on my LSDAS GPA, which was a bummer.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:42 pm

I think this could be better answered if we know your GPA. For example, if you have a 2.93 and that extra quarter could bump you up to 3.0 then it would definitely be worth it. If you're at a 3.8 and would be bumped to 3.85 it's not a huge difference. (these are made up numbers obv)

If your GPA is already respectable then just graduate and study for the June LSAT.

iiibbystar

Postby iiibbystar » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:10 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:I think this could be better answered if we know your GPA. For example, if you have a 2.93 and that extra quarter could bump you up to 3.0 then it would definitely be worth it. If you're at a 3.8 and would be bumped to 3.85 it's not a huge difference. (these are made up numbers obv)

If your GPA is already respectable then just graduate and study for the June LSAT.

My GPA is a 3.77. If I stay the extra quarter (including this upcoming quarter), there's a chance I might be able to push my GPA over the 3.8 threshold. Would that make much of a difference to admission committees? Also, why do most people recommend that I take the June LSAT instead of the October one? Wouldn't the October one give me more time to study?

Again, thanks for responding to my posts! :)

iiibbystar

Postby iiibbystar » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Sounds like a perfectly fine idea to me, but make absolutely positive that your school won't graduate you anyway.

I stuck around for an extra spring quarter after finishing all my requirements because I had a really fun internship with the athletic department PR office and I didn't want to miss baseball season. They had told us that we would absolutely, positively NOT graduate unless and until we applied to have our academic records reviewed for completion, full payment, etc. I wanted to delay graduating until June, so I just registered for another term and didn't apply for graduation.

Without any communication to or from me, the university granted me my degree in March. I had absolutely no idea they'd done it until I walked across the stage at commencement in June and got an empty diploma folder. I finally tracked my 3-month-old diploma down in the registrar's office, filed with all the other March grads who hadn't picked theirs up. My transcripts and my diploma say I graduated in March, even though I was enrolled until June. They also didn't tell me anything was amiss in June when I actually did apply for graduation, even though I'd already graduated.

So my final quarter of elective upper division writing courses (all As) didn't count on my LSDAS GPA, which was a bummer.

Oh, wow! I'm sorry to hear that you last quarter didn't count towards your LSDAS GPA. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:19 pm

iiibbystar wrote:My GPA is a 3.77. If I stay the extra quarter (including this upcoming quarter), there's a chance I might be able to push my GPA over the 3.8 threshold. Would that make much of a difference to admission committees? Also, why do most people recommend that I take the June LSAT instead of the October one? Wouldn't the October one give me more time to study?

Again, thanks for responding to my posts! :)

It may be worth it to stay for that 3.8, that's really up to you. There are a couple of benefits to the June LSAT. The two I can think of are: it's at 12:30pm instead of 8:30 am and if you don't do well in June you always have October to retake and still get your apps in semi-early. Whereas if you take October and have to retake you have to take December and won't get apps in until January most likely.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:46 pm

I'd stay for the extra quarter, with the assumption you're going to kick ass. You can retake the LSAT, but you can't change your GPA once you graduate.

The extra time might also give you a chance to improve your softs, if you need it.

Return to “Law School FAQ”