Which Minor Would Be Most Helpful?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Which Minor do you think would provide the best preparation for LS?

Economics
52%
Philosophy
48%

Total votes: 56

Momentum

Which Minor Would Be Most Helpful?

Postby Momentum » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:14 am

I'm aware that Adcomms couldn't care less what I minor in. For my own purposes, though, I'm torn between Economics and Philosophy. Which, in your opinion, would be more helpful to have on my utility belt when trying to understand the law in a few years?

Edit: Clarity.
Last edited by Momentum on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

EricBerry

Re: Which Minor Would Be Most Helpful?

Postby EricBerry » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:35 am

i'd say philosophy for the dense reading.

EDIT: unless you're dead-set on working in securities i guess

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:43 am

I don't think either would help you with learning the law or with getting into LS, but I voted econ just because I really wish I had some sort of knowledge of the business world.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:43 am

Based off of my very short time in LS so far, I would say econ (and this is coming from a guy with a double minor in econ and philosophy). My property class was very econ heavy and while my torts wasn't so much, I've heard from people at other schools where it played a more dominant part. Depends a lot on the prof probably.

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:50 am

yeah listen to those guys.....im a 0L.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:54 am

the TLS answer: the one that gets you the best gpa :lol:

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:25 am

Why choose? If your goal is mental preparation, not degree value, just take classes in each, even if that doesn't get you a minor.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:30 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:the TLS answer: the one that gets you the best gpa :lol:

This is also credited. If one of these subjects has tougher teachers that could hurt your GPA, steer clear.

Also, I really don't think you can go wrong here. I was a philo major and loved it. I just wish I had some business acumen, so I wish I had taken more business classes. But whichever subject tickles your fancy more (without hurting your GPA) is TCR.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:39 pm

I would also point out than an Econ minor is quite different from courses in your business school. If you go to an undergrad with a b-school, take a few courses there... they're usually easier, and that can really get you more of a business background

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:06 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:I would also point out than an Econ minor is quite different from courses in your business school. If you go to an undergrad with a b-school, take a few courses there... they're usually easier, and that can really get you more of a business background

A lot of good schools like wharton, stern, kellog, etc have a business and an arts & sciences econ. The business school econ ends up being more applied with a more math base.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:13 pm

If you could complete each major without any difference in the resulting GPA between the two options, there isn't a single doubt in my mind that having some economics background would be much more beneficial.

chango

Postby chango » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:22 pm

I was a PPE major (Politics/Philosophy/Econ) and Econ has served me the best. "Thinking like a lawyer" is similar to thinking like an economist. (eg. What is vs. what ought to be; cost/benefit analyses, the invisible hand, allocative efficiency). Definitely helps with Contracts and Torts.

If anything, my Philosophy background has hurt, because it encourages discursive thinking, which is not at all helpful when answering essay questions.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:I would also point out than an Econ minor is quite different from courses in your business school. If you go to an undergrad with a b-school, take a few courses there... they're usually easier, and that can really get you more of a business background

A lot of good schools like wharton, stern, kellog, etc have a business and an arts & sciences econ. The business school econ ends up being more applied with a more math base.

If an econ or philosophy minor isn't deemed helpful enough for knowing the law, he/she can look beyond just b-school economics if they want a brief background on business. I was thinking a class like corporate strategy, marketing strategy, or an incentives course. Maybe throw in an organizational behavior or HR class. Three of the right courses in b-school can take you farther in business knowledge than an econ minor.

iphone7

Postby iphone7 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:28 pm

I am a philosophy major and an econ minor and I think that they are both helpful. For getting into Law school I think the philosophy is more helpful because it wires your brain to think logically. Most of the logical reasoning and reading comprehension sections of the LSAT come easy to me because of this training. I do, however, think that econ would probably be more helpful once you get into law school because lawyers often must think like economists. So basically, if you are more focused on getting into law school then do philosophy, and if you are more focused on being ready once you get there do econ.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:37 pm

OP: With all due respect to the 0Ls posting in these threads, ignore them. However well meaning their intentions are, they have not been in law school, are completely unfamiliar with the material, and are simply going on what they perceive it to be like. Having an economics background can be immensely helpful in many doctrinal courses (property, contracts, and torts, especially) and especially in more advanced courses involving corporate law (corporations, antitrust, M&A, etc). The only course I've used any philosophy knowledge I have has been in a Law & "XYZ" type course that I will never use after leaving law school. Even beyond the specific knowledge itself, the style of thinking you'll become comfortable with from studying economics will be incredibly helpful. Also, if you decide you want to forego law school, economics will still leave you with decent career options.

TL;DR: As a law student, I've heard countless people (myself included) say they wish they'd studied economics. Not a single time have I ever heard the same for philosophy. Assuming equal GPAs in both, this isn't even a choice.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:25 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:OP: With all due respect to the 0Ls posting in these threads, ignore them. However well meaning their intentions are, they have not been in law school, are completely unfamiliar with the material, and are simply going on what they perceive it to be like. Having an economics background can be immensely helpful in many doctrinal courses (property, contracts, and torts, especially) and especially in more advanced courses involving corporate law (corporations, antitrust, M&A, etc). The only course I've used any philosophy knowledge I have has been in a Law & "XYZ" type course that I will never use after leaving law school. Even beyond the specific knowledge itself, the style of thinking you'll become comfortable with from studying economics will be incredibly helpful. Also, if you decide you want to forego law school, economics will still leave you with decent career options.

TL;DR: As a law student, I've heard countless people (myself included) say they wish they'd studied economics. Not a single time have I ever heard the same for philosophy. Assuming equal GPAs in both, this isn't even a choice.

Why would he ignore the two posts directly above yours? Mine states that an alternative to consider and the post directly above talks about an alternative benefit a philosophy minor can bring to taking the LSAT. Seems like your out of place with your comment there FlightoftheEarls

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Economics if you don't understand economics, philosophy if you aren't used to dense reading.

Economics is the backbone of all legal reasoning, imo.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Well, I would like to start by making the disclaimer that I am 0L, so I won't comment on specifics of law schools or how I "perceive it to be." One thing I do know, is that to succeed in law school, you have to get there first. A philosophy background will help you on the LSAT. Also, philosophy is fulfilling. Best thing I did in UG was bang out a philosophy major.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:44 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:Why choose? If your goal is mental preparation, not degree value, just take classes in each, even if that doesn't get you a minor.

This. Unless you need a minor to meet some degree requirement, don't bother.

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:the TLS answer: the one that gets you the best gpa :lol:

This is also credited. If one of these subjects has tougher teachers that could hurt your GPA, steer clear.

Also, I really don't think you can go wrong here. I was a philo major and loved it. I just wish I had some business acumen, so I wish I had taken more business classes. But whichever subject tickles your fancy more (without hurting your GPA) is TCR.

I generally like to recommend the opposite advice of this. I would say pick the hardest possible field you can go into such as nuclear or astronautical engineering. This will ensure that your GPA will go down while doing more work. Also, make sure to choose professors within these areas who are notorious for making extremely difficult exams to ensure your GPA will be as low as it can possibly be upon graduation.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:OP: With all due respect to the 0Ls posting in these threads, ignore them. However well meaning their intentions are, they have not been in law school, are completely unfamiliar with the material, and are simply going on what they perceive it to be like. Having an economics background can be immensely helpful in many doctrinal courses (property, contracts, and torts, especially) and especially in more advanced courses involving corporate law (corporations, antitrust, M&A, etc). The only course I've used any philosophy knowledge I have has been in a Law & "XYZ" type course that I will never use after leaving law school. Even beyond the specific knowledge itself, the style of thinking you'll become comfortable with from studying economics will be incredibly helpful. Also, if you decide you want to forego law school, economics will still leave you with decent career options.

Why would he ignore the two posts directly above yours? Mine states that an alternative to consider and the post directly above talks about an alternative benefit a philosophy minor can bring to taking the LSAT. Seems like your out of place with your comment there FlightoftheEarls

Three quick points. First, I was responding to the people throughout the thread suggesting that philosophy may generate some benefit that economics won't. That simply isn't true. I first posted after a quick skim of the thread, but after fully reading the thread I thought it was important to clarify and expound upon my first post. Your suggestion to take those classes is certainly helpful, and I wasn't meaning to suggest otherwise. Second, I was responding specifically to OP, and OP asked the question purely in the context of what will help him understand the law better in a few years (whether in law school or practice). Doing well in law school is largely based on recognizing ambiguities, but the answer here is economics. Third, my apologies if my response was harsher than it should have been, but it surprises me that people without any law school experience seemed so eager to provide speculative advice when many of us have actual experience.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:32 am

Good clarification, appreciate it. And points well taken.

smears

Postby smears » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:08 am

I think that if you study philosophy long enough, you get to game theory, which is the concrete end of the spectrum there, and if you study economics, eventually, you will find yourself sorting through more abstract things than you did initially.

Almost all disciplines intersect at a certain level. I think that an intelligent person should be able to use either to his or her advantage.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:28 pm

I majored in Philosophy and English. I was originally majoring in English and Economics. I wish I stuck with plan A.

Osos

Postby Osos » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:32 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:Why choose? If your goal is mental preparation, not degree value, just take classes in each, even if that doesn't get you a minor.

Definitely agree with this, but if you're set on a minor choose philosophy. Not only does taking logic make the logic games a lot more intuitive, but logical reasoning is a breeeeze if you end up being good at philosophy.

Return to “Law School FAQ”