another bachelors degree to improve chances?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
utopian_grrl

another bachelors degree to improve chances?

Postby utopian_grrl » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:00 pm

I'll be graduating in the spring with a major in political science. My GPA should be around 3.8. But, I'm planning on taking a year or two off to pay the debt from undergrad and to enter the real world for the first time. I'll be taking the LSAT next summer.

However, now I'm considering moving across the country to get another degree in business finance. The subject is interesting but I don't plan on pursuing a Masters. The school is in an awesome location on the West Coast where I'll never have the chance to live ever again. (Going East Coast after law school).

Is this option better than just working full-time at an entry level job for cash? Will this added degree boost my chances at schools where I may not have a shot right now?

Adjudicator

Re: another bachelors degree to improve chances?

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:02 pm

utopian_grrl wrote:I'll be graduating in the spring with a major in political science. My GPA should be around 3.8. But, I'm planning on taking a year or two off to pay the debt from undergrad and to enter the real world for the first time. I'll be taking the LSAT next summer.

However, now I'm considering moving across the country to get another degree in business finance. The subject is interesting but I don't plan on pursuing a Masters. The school is in an awesome location on the West Coast where I'll never have the chance to live ever again. (Going East Coast after law school).

Is this option better than just working full-time at an entry level job for cash? Will this added degree boost my chances at schools where I may not have a shot right now?

No, and no.... honestly, full-time work experience will add more to your application, plus it will earn you money instead of costing you more.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:08 pm

A) Why would you waste money getting a second degree that you won't use when you're already in debt and looking at the prospect of taking on more debt for grad school?

B) No. Law schools don't care about a second degree. Only the GPA from your first bachelor's degree counts.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Why would you get a second bachelor's degree if you're planning on going into law school? Especially since the degree won't help. Second bachelors' don't affect LSDAS GPA and a business finance degree doesn't open any legal employment opportunities. An engineering/hard science degree would help if you wanted to do patent law, but I don't see any value in pursuing a business degree.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Dude, why the fuck would you want to deal with undergrads again?

utopian_grrl

Postby utopian_grrl » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:46 pm

I actually like school. If I could stay in school forever, I would. And the business finance classes wouldn't go completely wasted because I do plan on dabbling in investing as a sort of side hobby.

But, you guys are right. If it won't help in law school admissions, there's no point in going for another degree. It'd be easier and cheaper to work full time and just take a few core classes in my spare time over those two years. And I'd still be able to live on the West Coast during that time.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:00 pm

You can also live on the West Coast after law school. There are law firms there, even biglaw! :roll:

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:04 pm

utopian_grrl wrote:I actually like school. If I could stay in school forever, I would. And the business finance classes wouldn't go completely wasted because I do plan on dabbling in investing as a sort of side hobby.

As a finance major I can tell you that getting a degree in finance doesn't make you a better investor. Whatever knowledge I have has come fromperson research. In finance you learn about Market Portfolio Theory, Black-Scholes Model, and other high-browed theoretical nonsense that rarely comes into use because computers do it all for you.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:11 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:As a finance major I can tell you that getting a degree in finance doesn't make you a better investor. Whatever knowledge I have has come fromperson research. In finance you learn about Market Portfolio Theory, Black-Scholes Model, and other high-browed theoretical nonsense that rarely comes into use because computers do it all for you.

I'm not a finance major but, this. An extra bachelor's, another 4 years and more debt in order to "dabble in investing" is ridiculous.

utopian_grrl

Postby utopian_grrl » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:14 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:You can also live on the West Coast after law school. There are law firms there, even biglaw! :roll:

I have zero desire to live on the West Coast after law school. Only a few years max. Honestly, I find something weird in not experiencing true winters. Too much sunshine and you begin to lose appreciation for the warmer seasons. And, I appreciate the fast pace of the East Coast.

Stanford4Me wrote:As a finance major I can tell you that getting a degree in finance doesn't make you a better investor. Whatever knowledge I have has come fromperson research. In finance you learn about Market Portfolio Theory, Black-Scholes Model, and other high-browed theoretical nonsense that rarely comes into use because computers do it all for you.

I get what you're saying. I feel similar about my major in political science. All someone has to do is consistently read/watch/listen to national and international news and get some relevant work experience to be prepped for a career in poli-sci. And some career politicians don't even do that nowadays.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:23 pm

utopian_grrl wrote:I have zero desire to live on the West Coast after law school. Only a few years max. Honestly, I find something weird in not experiencing true winters. Too much sunshine and you begin to lose appreciation for the warmer seasons. And, I appreciate the fast pace of the East Coast.

:|

SoupIsGoodFood

Postby SoupIsGoodFood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:27 pm

Why wouldn't you just get a masters in finance? I don't understand the point/rationale behind getting two bachelor's degrees at separate times.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:30 pm

2 bachelors degree have no more value than one bachelors degree. If you really wanna study finance get a masters

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 am

Just do finance. Don't go to law school.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:11 am

SoupIsGoodFood wrote:Why wouldn't you just get a masters in finance? I don't understand the point/rationale behind getting two bachelor's degrees at separate times.

This, and especially when your GPA is 3.8

rad law wrote:Just do finance. Don't go to law school.

:idea:

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:22 am

rad law is right.

if you do want to take classes though, the proper way is not to return to undergrad, but to enroll in a graduate certificate program like this one --> http://extension.berkeley.edu/cert/finance.html

cost = something like $5,000

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:30 am

2 MONTHS AFTER LAST POST SoupIsGoodFood wrote:Why wouldn't you just get a masters in finance? I don't understand the point/rationale behind getting two bachelor's degrees at separate times.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:58 am

Darnit. YOu need to read Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey.

THEN, you need to get a full time job at <insert I-Bank or consulting firm here> and study for your CFA. THEN, you need to apply to law school...........

They will appreciate that you came from a high powered career are capable of passing professional examinations (CFA). You will be golden. Harvard material.

Return to “Law School FAQ”