Laptop Question from a 0L

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:34 pm

3|ink wrote:
James Bond wrote:
3|ink wrote:Mac = Don't get me fucking started on Steve Jobs and his piece of shit machines.

Lenovo = Never even heard of these fuckers, but their online selection sucked.


Your opinion...doesn't sound very informed...


Can you run VBA on a Mac? That's crucial to me. The Mac keyboard is silly. All Mac OS's are absurd.

I've built several PCs and have never even heard of Lenovo. I suppose that is because they don't sell components; only whole PCs.

It's not very often that I'm left speechless by a post on here, but... wow... just wow.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:47 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
3|ink wrote:
James Bond wrote:
3|ink wrote:Mac = Don't get me fucking started on Steve Jobs and his piece of shit machines.

Lenovo = Never even heard of these fuckers, but their online selection sucked.


Your opinion...doesn't sound very informed...


Can you run VBA on a Mac? That's crucial to me. The Mac keyboard is silly. All Mac OS's are absurd.

I've built several PCs and have never even heard of Lenovo. I suppose that is because they don't sell components; only whole PCs.

It's not very often that I'm left speechless by a post on here, but... wow... just wow.

So you can run VBA on a Mac?

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:52 pm

3|ink wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
3|ink wrote:
James Bond wrote:Your opinion...doesn't sound very informed...


Can you run VBA on a Mac? That's crucial to me. The Mac keyboard is silly. All Mac OS's are absurd.

I've built several PCs and have never even heard of Lenovo. I suppose that is because they don't sell components; only whole PCs.

It's not very often that I'm left speechless by a post on here, but... wow... just wow.

So you can run VBA on a Mac?


Bootcamp or other virtualization technologies.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Every time I use my touchpad, I wish I had gotten a Mac.

Every time I have to lug that brick around, I wish I had gotten the Asus.

Every time someone's backpack hits my computer as they try and squeeze into the row of tables and knocks my laptop off, I'm glad I got a Lenovo.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:43 pm

I just looked deeper into Lenovo's website. I didn't see their customization features when I was perusing earlier. It seems their selection is a little better than previously appraised.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:49 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Bootcamp or other virtualization technologies.


All of the features of VBA are available with this? Would I be able to save the file an open it on a PC without experiencing compatibility issues?

My sister has a mac. I use it every time I dogsit for her. I can't stand the fact that it doesn't have a backspace key. I don't remember which OS she has, but it drives me fucking crazy. I installed router software on that computer about a year ago and I remember having a hell of a time doing it.

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:07 pm

kalvano wrote:Every time I use my touchpad, I wish I had gotten a Mac.

Every time I have to lug that brick around, I wish I had gotten the Asus.

Every time someone's backpack hits my computer as they try and squeeze into the row of tables and knocks my laptop off, I'm glad I got a Lenovo.


This is the credited response.

I'm a gamer. I've built my last three PC's at home and keep using them for an average of ~5 years. Every time I'm about to build a new one I do a bunch of research, price out the components, compare builds, and go with what makes sense. I buy smart and save myself pain 2 years down the road.

For law school, I'm going to be using this laptop to 1) study, 2) take notes, and 3) take my exams. There's no question in my mind that I'm going with a Lenovo. I won't be playing games on this machine, that's too slippery a road to set foot on. I want a machine that's durable, reliable and has a decent battery/motor under the hood. No frills, no superfluous LEDs, I want a workhorse. The Lenovo, specifically the T series, is what best meets that criteria. I'll be getting an i3, with 4G of ram, Win 64 Pro, integrated graphics card and a 9v battery. Plenty of power and futureproofing. I'll save the graphics cards and i7's for home.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:24 pm

3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Bootcamp or other virtualization technologies.


All of the features of VBA are available with this? Would I be able to save the file an open it on a PC without experiencing compatibility issues?

My sister has a mac. I use it every time I dogsit for her. I can't stand the fact that it doesn't have a backspace key. I don't remember which OS she has, but it drives me fucking crazy. I installed router software on that computer about a year ago and I remember having a hell of a time doing it.

No backspace key? Never heard of Lenovo?

180 my good man, 180.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:30 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Bootcamp or other virtualization technologies.


All of the features of VBA are available with this? Would I be able to save the file an open it on a PC without experiencing compatibility issues?

My sister has a mac. I use it every time I dogsit for her. I can't stand the fact that it doesn't have a backspace key. I don't remember which OS she has, but it drives me fucking crazy. I installed router software on that computer about a year ago and I remember having a hell of a time doing it.

No backspace key? Never heard of Lenovo?

180 my good man, 180.

My sister's year old mac does not have a backspace key in its design.

I haven't shopped around for a laptop in years. However, I do remember wondering what happened to IBM in recent months.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:36 pm

3|ink wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Bootcamp or other virtualization technologies.


All of the features of VBA are available with this? Would I be able to save the file an open it on a PC without experiencing compatibility issues?

My sister has a mac. I use it every time I dogsit for her. I can't stand the fact that it doesn't have a backspace key. I don't remember which OS she has, but it drives me fucking crazy. I installed router software on that computer about a year ago and I remember having a hell of a time doing it.

No backspace key? Never heard of Lenovo?

180 my good man, 180.

My sister's year old mac does not have a backspace key in its design.

I haven't shopped around for a laptop in years. However, I do remember wondering what happened to IBM in recent months.


If this is a troll attempt... it's a poor one.
Image

You see that button called, "Delete"? Take a wild guess.

Also.. IBM is still around. Ever wonder who the hell wins all these I.T. government contracts? (NASA, FBI, CIA(alright, maybe.))

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
If this is a troll attempt... it's a poor one.
Image

You see that button called, "Delete"? Take a wild guess.

Also.. IBM is still around. Ever wonder who the hell wins all these I.T. government contracts? (NASA, FBI, CIA(alright, maybe.))

See at first I thought he was one of those wannabe techies who latch on to a minor issue that they are actually knowledgable about to make others think that they actually know something about computers, but there is no way this isn't a flame. No one is that dumb.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:46 pm

ResolutePear wrote:If this is a troll attempt... it's a poor one.
Image

You see that button called, "Delete"? Take a wild guess.

Also.. IBM is still around. Ever wonder who the hell wins all these I.T. government contracts? (NASA, FBI, CIA(alright, maybe.))


There's a difference between the "Delete" key and the "Backspace" key, thus the reason my PC keyboard has both keys. "Backspace" deletes characters to the left of the cursor and the "delete" key clears characters to the right of the cursor. When typing at a high rate of speed, you typically want to be able to delete what you have just written, which will usually be to the left of the cursor. If I wanted to use the delete key instead, I'd have to use my mouse or the arrow keys to move my cursor to the left of the words/characters I want to delete. That's quite a hassle when you're typing 70+ wmp.

I cannot believe that I have to explain this.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:48 pm

3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:If this is a troll attempt... it's a poor one.
Image

You see that button called, "Delete"? Take a wild guess.

Also.. IBM is still around. Ever wonder who the hell wins all these I.T. government contracts? (NASA, FBI, CIA(alright, maybe.))


There's a difference between the "Delete" key and the "Backspace" key, thus the reason my PC keyboard has both keys. "Backspace" deletes characters to the left of the cursor and the "delete" key clears characters to the right of the cursor. When typing at a high rate of speed, you typically want to be able to delete what you have just written, which will usually be to the left of the cursor. If I wanted to use the delete key instead, I'd have to use my mouse or the arrow keys to move my cursor to the left of the words/characters I want to delete. That's quite a hassle when you're typing 70+ wmp.

I cannot believe that I have to explain this.

Dude, give it up.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:50 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:If this is a troll attempt... it's a poor one.
Image

You see that button called, "Delete"? Take a wild guess.

Also.. IBM is still around. Ever wonder who the hell wins all these I.T. government contracts? (NASA, FBI, CIA(alright, maybe.))


There's a difference between the "Delete" key and the "Backspace" key, thus the reason my PC keyboard has both keys. "Backspace" deletes characters to the left of the cursor and the "delete" key clears characters to the right of the cursor. When typing at a high rate of speed, you typically want to be able to delete what you have just written, which will usually be to the left of the cursor. If I wanted to use the delete key instead, I'd have to use my mouse or the arrow keys to move my cursor to the left of the words/characters I want to delete. That's quite a hassle when you're typing 70+ wmp.

I cannot believe that I have to explain this.

Dude, give it up.

You trolling me? There's a huge difference between backspace and delete.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:56 pm

3|ink wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:If this is a troll attempt... it's a poor one.
Image

You see that button called, "Delete"? Take a wild guess.

Also.. IBM is still around. Ever wonder who the hell wins all these I.T. government contracts? (NASA, FBI, CIA(alright, maybe.))


There's a difference between the "Delete" key and the "Backspace" key, thus the reason my PC keyboard has both keys. "Backspace" deletes characters to the left of the cursor and the "delete" key clears characters to the right of the cursor. When typing at a high rate of speed, you typically want to be able to delete what you have just written, which will usually be to the left of the cursor. If I wanted to use the delete key instead, I'd have to use my mouse or the arrow keys to move my cursor to the left of the words/characters I want to delete. That's quite a hassle when you're typing 70+ wmp.

I cannot believe that I have to explain this.

Dude, give it up.

You trolling me? There's a huge difference between backspace and delete.


Step back and reevaluate your life. Because if you don't understand this - I'm not telling you the answer.. it's just so painfully ignorant.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:00 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Step back and reevaluate your life. Because if you don't understand this - I'm not telling you the answer.. it's just so painfully ignorant.


So I am being trolled. That's the only plausible explanation.

I never use the delete key when typing. I use backspace exclusively. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's how they taught me to type in grade school. I didn't realize that was a sign of ignorance.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:04 pm

3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Step back and reevaluate your life. Because if you don't understand this - I'm not telling you the answer.. it's just so painfully ignorant.


So I am being trolled. That's the only plausible explanation.

I never use the delete key when typing. I use backspace exclusively. I didn't realize that was a sign of ignorance.


So let me ask you something:

Does 'X' always equal '1'?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:07 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Step back and reevaluate your life. Because if you don't understand this - I'm not telling you the answer.. it's just so painfully ignorant.


So I am being trolled. That's the only plausible explanation.

I never use the delete key when typing. I use backspace exclusively. I didn't realize that was a sign of ignorance.


So let me ask you something:

Does 'X' always equal '1'?

I'm not interested in your trolling games. PCs have delete and backspace keys. Macs only have delete. That's one of many issues I have with mac computers, though you claim it is a non-issue. I'll be glad to take your word for it once you provide some explanation.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:17 pm

3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Step back and reevaluate your life. Because if you don't understand this - I'm not telling you the answer.. it's just so painfully ignorant.


So I am being trolled. That's the only plausible explanation.

I never use the delete key when typing. I use backspace exclusively. I didn't realize that was a sign of ignorance.


So let me ask you something:

Does 'X' always equal '1'?

I'm not interested in your trolling games. PCs have delete and backspace keys. Macs only have delete. That's one of many issues I have with mac computers, though you claim it is a non-issue. I'll be glad to take your word for it once you provide some explanation.

Lol.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:22 pm

3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Step back and reevaluate your life. Because if you don't understand this - I'm not telling you the answer.. it's just so painfully ignorant.


So I am being trolled. That's the only plausible explanation.

I never use the delete key when typing. I use backspace exclusively. I didn't realize that was a sign of ignorance.


So let me ask you something:

Does 'X' always equal '1'?

I'm not interested in your trolling games. PCs have delete and backspace keys. Macs only have delete. That's one of many issues I have with mac computers, though you claim it is a non-issue. I'll be glad to take your word for it once you provide some explanation.


'Delete' is just a word. The "Delete" key you're referring to is the backspace key. The function you're telling us belongs to Cmd-Delete.

For the lulz man.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:32 pm

ResolutePear wrote:'Delete' is just a word. The "Delete" key you're referring to is the backspace key. The function you're telling us belongs to Cmd-Delete.

For the lulz man.

I wasn't aware that the delete key on the Mac performed the function of the backspace key on PC. Thank you for finally explaining that. Is it really so hard to believe I wasn't trolling? Jesus Christ.

I suppose that is one less reason to hate macs. VBA is another, but you claim that there's a program that allows you to use VBA on macs. Despite the fact that I'd have to pay an additional $30.00, that would be one less reason to rule out macs.

My biggest issue with Mac computers is the price tag. Can you objectively tell me I'd get better bang for my buck with a mac?

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:35 pm

3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:'Delete' is just a word. The "Delete" key you're referring to is the backspace key. The function you're telling us belongs to Cmd-Delete.

For the lulz man.

I wasn't aware that the delete key on the Mac performed the function of the backspace key on PC. Thank you for finally explaining that. Is it really so hard to believe I wasn't trolling? Jesus Christ.

I suppose that is one less reason to hate macs. VBA is another, but you claim that there's a program that allows you to use VBA on macs. Despite the fact that I'd have to pay an additional $30.00, that would be one less reason to rule out macs.

My biggest issue with Mac computers is the price tag. Can you objectively tell me I'd get better bang for my buck with a mac?


You said you were USING the mac...

Just go read into this stuff because you're throwing around question that beat the stuff I would hear at the Apple Store.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:43 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:'Delete' is just a word. The "Delete" key you're referring to is the backspace key. The function you're telling us belongs to Cmd-Delete.

For the lulz man.

I wasn't aware that the delete key on the Mac performed the function of the backspace key on PC. Thank you for finally explaining that. Is it really so hard to believe I wasn't trolling? Jesus Christ.

I suppose that is one less reason to hate macs. VBA is another, but you claim that there's a program that allows you to use VBA on macs. Despite the fact that I'd have to pay an additional $30.00, that would be one less reason to rule out macs.

My biggest issue with Mac computers is the price tag. Can you objectively tell me I'd get better bang for my buck with a mac?


You said you were USING the mac...

Just go read into this stuff because you're throwing around question that beat the stuff I would hear at the Apple Store.


I used it to browse the internet while dog-sitting for my sister once a month. I didn't use it for word processing. I've also had to install a number of things on her computer that didn't involve excessive typing.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby kalvano » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:23 am

On older Macs, the "delete" key really was delete, not backspace. Not sure about the new ones, but it drove me nuts on my old Mac.

Aside from that, Mac versus PC is a silly debate. Go with whichever one you like.

However, PC's have OneNote. That is worth noting. Circus Ponies is not as good. I never thought I would get into OneNote, but what a fantastic program.

User avatar
joebloe
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 am

Re: Laptop Question from a 0L

Postby joebloe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Going with Mac partly because of the relatively low malware risk for the OS, partly because a relative's Powerbook is still going after 7 years of heavy use.

I can deal with malware and hardware problems just fine, but I think during LS I'd rather worry about something other than whether I can get a backup/reformat/reinstall done in time for class. Or about the time wasted just getting to the point where I decide a reformat is necessary. That crap takes an unbelievable amount of time.

Obviously, if you only need something to take notes on and aren't going to screw around, just get a netbook and try Ubuntu.

Also, I don't know about today's Celerons, but the ones they put in laptops a few years ago had zero power conservation features. I had a Toshiba with a Celeron; battery life was horrendous. Needed to plug in after 90 minutes when it was brand new. Not so much of a problem if you can assuredly sit near a plug, but the courses I was taking, this was not easy to accomplish.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests