what is better at increasing chances - time off vs gpa boost Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
swtlilsoni

Bronze

what is better at increasing chances - time off vs gpa boost

Post by swtlilsoni » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:09 pm

If I don't get into any of the schools I want this year, I have a decision to make:
I can either..
1) take a year off and try again next year
2) go to a lower school and transfer
3) do an extra semester (spring semester) and boost gpa

My question is mainly between 1&3. Would time off with a good job or something help someone get in more than a small gpa boost? Or is a higher gpa better for increasing chances?

Mustard Blood

New

Re: what is better at increasing chances - time off vs gpa boost

Post by Mustard Blood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Have you graduated? It is my understanding that taking additional coursework after you graduate doesn't give you a boost.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Higher GPA beats work experience at almost everywhere.

Have you graduated?

swtlilsoni

Bronze

Post by swtlilsoni » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:17 pm

No I haven't graduated yet. I was supposed to graduate in the spring, but I did an extra semester to take two courses to fulfill my minor (so I'm part time right now). But I could do an extra semester in the spring and graduate then.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:25 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:No I haven't graduated yet. I was supposed to graduate in the spring, but I did an extra semester to take two courses to fulfill my minor (so I'm part time right now). But I could do an extra semester in the spring and graduate then.

Take underwater basket weaving or something. If you sneak in a couple of A's, that will help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:46 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:No I haven't graduated yet. I was supposed to graduate in the spring, but I did an extra semester to take two courses to fulfill my minor (so I'm part time right now). But I could do an extra semester in the spring and graduate then.
Make sure that the school understands that you do not want to graduate, despite having all your requirements done. I did NOT apply for graduation (they'd told us we would not graduate if we didn't apply to have our records reviewed) after winter term when I was done with all my major/minor stuff, stayed an extra term to take some writing classes for fun, and they graduated me in March anyway, without asking me. I literally had no idea that they'd done it until I walked across the stage at Commencement in June and got an empty folder with no diploma. I had to track my diploma down in the registrar's office where it had been filed with other March grads who hadn't picked theirs up yet. So my last term of straight As didn't count toward my LSDAS GPA, which is a bummer.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Make sure that the school understands that you do not want to graduate, despite having all your requirements done. I did NOT apply for graduation (they'd told us we would not graduate if we didn't apply to have our records reviewed) after winter term when I was done with all my major/minor stuff, stayed an extra term to take some writing classes for fun, and they graduated me in March anyway, without asking me. I literally had no idea that they'd done it until I walked across the stage at Commencement in June and got an empty folder with no diploma. I had to track my diploma down in the registrar's office where it had been filed with other March grads who hadn't picked theirs up yet. So my last term of straight As didn't count toward my LSDAS GPA, which is a bummer.
Bummer dude! That's so bizarre.

OP raise that GPA. If I could go back, that's the one thing I'd do.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:36 pm

Honestly, none of those solutions are really that great unless during your time off your are planning on studying to retake the LSAT.
1) Time off matters very little unless you plan on doing something different. So this is the best option unless you are planning on just sitting on your app.
2) Never go to a school with the idea you are going to transfer. You can have a "plan" to transfer if you get the grades, but you shouldn't attend a school just because you are going to transfer. For all you know, you could do poorly on your exams, and they you are stuck. Pick a LS you can actually see yourself going to and being happy, and if you can transfer, cool.
3) An extra semester, even if you ace it, isn't going to do that much. Plus, if you have finished your degree and you are taking BS classes to boost your GPA, it doesn't mean much to LS. The LS's aren't stupid- they know exactly what you are doing.

Moral of the story? Take the year off and study to do better on the LSAT. That will BEST increase your chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”