Actual Experience

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
KCBUFF

Actual Experience

Postby KCBUFF » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Hey I was just wondering is anyone on this board actually currently practicing law, or is everyone still in law school, applying, et cetera. Many people are giving advice and I would feel much more confident if the people giving the advice were people who actually had experience, not people who are second hand fonts of wisdom or people who had a friend who went here and did this thanks.

jwaters

Re: Actual Experience

Postby jwaters » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:59 pm

You will find a few actual attorneys every once in a while on the employment board. Most lawyers obviously have better things to do than spend their time on an internet forum, so of course most posters are either applying or are already in law school.

KCBUFF

Postby KCBUFF » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:24 pm

then cum grano salis everything said on these boards lol

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:35 pm

KCBUFF wrote:Hey I was just wondering is anyone on this board actually currently practicing law, or is everyone still in law school, applying, et cetera. Many people are giving advice and I would feel much more confident if the people giving the advice were people who actually had experience, not people who are second hand fonts of wisdom or people who had a friend who went here and did this thanks.

What kind of advice are you looking for? Law school applications advice is better coming from current students since it will be the most up-to-date advice, while practicing attorneys are much farther removed from their time/experience with law school applications. Employment advice? Probably better coming from someone who has already undergone OCI at their school or is a recent entrant into the legal profession. Again, someone 20 years out of law school may not have good advice to give on legal employment for people entering or currently in law school, since a seasoned lawyer's experience with getting a job out of law school was likely under very different market conditions for legal hiring. Who has the best advice really depends on the situation at hand, and the best advice does not always come from the same people.

linquest

Postby linquest » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:25 pm

Yup, I'm a second-year attorney. Been posting on various law school boards since undergrad.

Return to “Law School FAQ”