Depict a day in the life of a law student

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
redgreenpaper
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby redgreenpaper » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Is law school really as stressful and soul-crushing as people make it sound? Is there seriously 8 hours worth of reading every night on top of assignments and essays? If so, what is the difficulty of the readings? Do you really have no time for a social life or relationship or even playing Call of Duty on your ps3? How do students survive on 3-4 hours of sleep every night? I used to be down with going to law school but I saw a couple of videos on youtube that made it sound like Hell for 4 years. Can anybody depict a day in the life of a law student?

Oh yeah, also, do you need to graduate like top 10% of your class to get a good job? Or once you're into a good law school you just need to not fail? Is someone who graduates with marks in the middle of all the people in the class going to not get a job?

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby clintonius » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:13 pm

The short answer: it depends.

The longer answer (as long as I'm able/willing to give right now): some schools have more competitive atmospheres than others, which ups the stress level. It's more difficult to get jobs coming out of some schools than others, which ups the stress level. And your workload varies depending on the number of classes you take, the amount of reading your professor gives, and the motivation you have to do anything above and beyond (or your ability to blow off the reading and still get by). Most people have social lives.

I will tell you this, though: finals suck.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:16 pm

I've been awake for 30 hours straight... but i also just finished a 8 hour take home exam


Did take most of the semester relatively easy compared to many tho.

redgreenpaper
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby redgreenpaper » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:I've been awake for 30 hours straight... but i also just finished a 8 hour take home exam


Did take most of the semester relatively easy compared to many tho.


but do you seriously only get like 3-4 hours of sleep a night?

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby OGR3 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:35 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:I've been awake for 30 hours straight... but i also just finished a 8 hour take home exam


Did take most of the semester relatively easy compared to many tho.


but do you seriously only get like 3-4 hours of sleep a night?


I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, this includes the two weeks during finals.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:35 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:I've been awake for 30 hours straight... but i also just finished a 8 hour take home exam


Did take most of the semester relatively easy compared to many tho.


but do you seriously only get like 3-4 hours of sleep a night?


nah i slept like 8 hours a day + additional naps during the week.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby nealric » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:40 pm

but do you seriously only get like 3-4 hours of sleep a night?


I've only done stuff like that for papers. Most people don't have the physical ability to do that for months on end and remain able to actually learn something. I slept 6-7 hours 1L year because I was working and that ran me into the ground pretty hard.

pelmen74
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby pelmen74 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm

If you are spending 8 hours a night doing reading, you're not doing it right.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby Sogui » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:50 pm

The semester? Play video games all day, sit on your ass, do whatever... show up for class - usually -

Finals? Forget how to eat regularly, find it plausible that humans can live without sleeping, days lose their meaning, the only time that matters is how many waking hours you have until the day of the final. It will be the first time in your life where an all-nighter or two won't save you. Hell a week of all-nighters won't save you.


Then again I think maybe my two answers might be related...

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:51 pm

Sogui wrote:The semester? Play video games all day, sit on your ass, do whatever... show up for class - usually -

Finals? Forget how to eat regularly, find it plausible that humans can live without sleeping, days lose their meaning, the only time that matters is how many waking hours you have until the day of the final. It will be the first time in your life where an all-nighter or two won't save you. Hell a week of all-nighters won't save you.


Then again I think maybe my two answers might be related...


Eh some serious all nighters have so far seemed to keep my afloat

Jay Obee
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:29 am

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby Jay Obee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:01 pm

8:30 am - wake up and shower
9:00 am roll to class, walk like ten blocks.
9:25 am study in lounge for class
10:45 class
12:30 eat lunch, stab hobo/hide body
1:15 more class

4-5:30 gym
6:00 dinner

7-11 study for tomorrow.

basically repeat for 4 days.

redgreenpaper
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby redgreenpaper » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:03 pm

so what you all are saying is that I can go through law school and get somewhat decent to decent marks and still have a social life + time to play Call of Duty?

yesyesyes
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby yesyesyes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:05 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:so what you all are saying is that I can go through law school and get somewhat decent to decent marks and still have a social life + time to play Call of Duty?


once i get grades, i can give better advice (ie do/don't do what i did), but i had a good amount of free time.

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby scionb4 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:17 pm

I think once people realize that spending hours upon hours briefing cases so that they can sound brilliant [or at least not stupid] in class doesn't do too much for you come finals time, it becomes a lot more reasonable. The work load becomes increasingly heavier, but you study a lot more efficiently. You'll never spend more time on individual cases than you will your first couple of weeks, but that's because you don't really know what it is you're supposed to actually get from reasing the cases yet. Start using supplements from day one. Rather than being able to give a wonderfully articulate summary of the facts, you'll know exactly what rule of law you need to know from that case. Do know the case facts, especially early on though. You don't want to be known as the dumbass of the class from the get go.

User avatar
icouldbuyu
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby icouldbuyu » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:27 pm

How does class selection fit into this? Would it be easier to split classes up during the week so that you only have one or two classes per day? During undergrad, I would fit five classes into just two days per week, and do all of my hw and studying during my days off. Would a similar strategy be a bad idea for law school?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:30 pm

it does depend. i treat every weekday like work (10-8 w/ lunch and dinner breaks -- either class or reading), work a few hrs every saturday-sunday (take fridays night off completely). so far, even for finals, ive been kinda spending every day like how i would my weekends, just a lot of weekends in a row and slightly turned up.

every day of the school yr (including now) i make sure i get 7-8 hrs of sleep. i cant function on less than 7, like seriously. lol.

iwhipmyhair
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby iwhipmyhair » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:28 am

scionb4 wrote:I think once people realize that spending hours upon hours briefing cases so that they can sound brilliant [or at least not stupid] in class doesn't do too much for you come finals time, it becomes a lot more reasonable. The work load becomes increasingly heavier, but you study a lot more efficiently. You'll never spend more time on individual cases than you will your first couple of weeks, but that's because you don't really know what it is you're supposed to actually get from reasing the cases yet. Start using supplements from day one. Rather than being able to give a wonderfully articulate summary of the facts, you'll know exactly what rule of law you need to know from that case. Do know the case facts, especially early on though. You don't want to be known as the dumbass of the class from the get go.


I have no idea what goes into law school grading, but can being the dumbass affect your grade (i.e. does quality of participation count)? I'm willing to look like the school dunce if I come out with a better chance at higher grades...

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:30 am

iwhipmyhair wrote:
scionb4 wrote:I think once people realize that spending hours upon hours briefing cases so that they can sound brilliant [or at least not stupid] in class doesn't do too much for you come finals time, it becomes a lot more reasonable. The work load becomes increasingly heavier, but you study a lot more efficiently. You'll never spend more time on individual cases than you will your first couple of weeks, but that's because you don't really know what it is you're supposed to actually get from reasing the cases yet. Start using supplements from day one. Rather than being able to give a wonderfully articulate summary of the facts, you'll know exactly what rule of law you need to know from that case. Do know the case facts, especially early on though. You don't want to be known as the dumbass of the class from the get go.


I have no idea what goes into law school grading, but can being the dumbass affect your grade (i.e. does quality of participation count)? I'm willing to look like the school dunce if I come out with a better chance at higher grades...


why would you come out w/ the higher grades?

and no, most profs do not grade on participation. imo, you're at law school to network as well. i kinda dont want to have a reputation of being a dumbass. i hear that may hamper future legal options as far as networking goes lol.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby as stars burn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:33 am

redgreenpaper wrote:Is law school really as stressful and soul-crushing as people make it sound? Is there seriously 8 hours worth of reading every night on top of assignments and essays? If so, what is the difficulty of the readings? Do you really have no time for a social life or relationship or even playing Call of Duty on your ps3? How do students survive on 3-4 hours of sleep every night? I used to be down with going to law school but I saw a couple of videos on youtube that made it sound like Hell for 4 years. Can anybody depict a day in the life of a law student?

Oh yeah, also, do you need to graduate like top 10% of your class to get a good job? Or once you're into a good law school you just need to not fail? Is someone who graduates with marks in the middle of all the people in the class going to not get a job?


Yes, it is as soul crushing as people make it sound. Well, for 1L life that is. I'm in the midst of 1L exams right now, and have contemplated jumping out the window. I'm just EXHAUSTED.

I mean, honestly though....law school isn't bad during the semester (except legal writing CONSUMED my life this semester...I spent damn near every weekend working working on a memo/statutory assignment for probably around 1,000 hours); however, once finals month rolls around....that's where you lose your sanity and will to live.

Miniver
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby Miniver » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 am

Law school is only as much work as you want it to be.

imbored25
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby imbored25 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Pass out at 3, wake up at 10, go out to eat then do it again

cavebat2000
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby cavebat2000 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Wake up at 7:00am.
Read material for first class 7:30-8:30.
Class 8:45-9:45am
Read material for second class 10-11am
Second class 11-noon.
Eat Lunch 12-1pm
Read material for third class 1-2:45pm
Third class 3:00pm
Go home at 4pm.
Goof off.
Repeat except no class on Friday.

redgreenpaper
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby redgreenpaper » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:26 pm

as stars burn wrote:
redgreenpaper wrote:Is law school really as stressful and soul-crushing as people make it sound? Is there seriously 8 hours worth of reading every night on top of assignments and essays? If so, what is the difficulty of the readings? Do you really have no time for a social life or relationship or even playing Call of Duty on your ps3? How do students survive on 3-4 hours of sleep every night? I used to be down with going to law school but I saw a couple of videos on youtube that made it sound like Hell for 4 years. Can anybody depict a day in the life of a law student?

Oh yeah, also, do you need to graduate like top 10% of your class to get a good job? Or once you're into a good law school you just need to not fail? Is someone who graduates with marks in the middle of all the people in the class going to not get a job?


Yes, it is as soul crushing as people make it sound. Well, for 1L life that is. I'm in the midst of 1L exams right now, and have contemplated jumping out the window. I'm just EXHAUSTED.

I mean, honestly though....law school isn't bad during the semester (except legal writing CONSUMED my life this semester...I spent damn near every weekend working working on a memo/statutory assignment for probably around 1,000 hours); however, once finals month rolls around....that's where you lose your sanity and will to live.


I don't understand why first year is harder than second or third. Can someone please explain?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:28 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:I don't understand why first year is harder than second or third. Can someone please explain?



Where you stand after first year basically determines everything for job prospects. Also, big classes that you are forced to take full of tons of reading and lecture, any of which is fair game for an exam that is typically designed so you need 8-10 hours to really work it, but you're expected to do it in 3.

redgreenpaper
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Depict a day in the life of a law student

Postby redgreenpaper » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:42 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:Wake up at 7:00am.
Read material for first class 7:30-8:30.
Class 8:45-9:45am
Read material for second class 10-11am
Second class 11-noon.
Eat Lunch 12-1pm
Read material for third class 1-2:45pm
Third class 3:00pm
Go home at 4pm.
Goof off.
Repeat except no class on Friday.


Lol and are your marks bad? How come you don't study what was covered in your classes?




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests