what makes law school hard?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Stanford4Me

Re: what makes law school hard?

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:People who work 60 hours a week at law school during the semester are liars, exaggerators or retards.

+1

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:51 am

I think the uncertainty of not knowing what exactly will be tested on or what particular professors will be grading on makes it hard. The workload itself for the most part hasn't seemed too tough for me as a 1L thus far (with some times of exceptions, especially when the legal writing and research assignments coincided with the other class assignments). Next semester I have more credits so I think the workload will be a bit more intense, but then I will also be somewhat more adjusted to law school.

I think I know where Desert Fox is coming from re: it not making a lot of sense to spend tons of time working on law school materials (I think that's what was meant by working 60+ hours- that it was a reference to someone who indicates that between class hours and study that is how much time they spend). There definitely seems to be a law of diminishing returns with studying, and it really isn't about knowing or memorizing all the details as much as about making good applications in the exams from what I can tell and have experienced. However, I think studying really hard (spending a lot of time doing it) can help, and if someone takes a lot of their time studying (perhaps considerably more than minimally necessary) I don't feel I'm in a position to say that categorically they are lying to say they do so or that they would be better off studying less (though it could be the case I think).

If the working 60 hours + reference was suggesting there are some people who say they are working that much outside of law school then the above analysis doesn't apply and I agree with the statement more fully, with the exception that in general if something is working for someone else (I don't see how that would or could) I am still not in a position to categorically judge the soundness of that approach.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:People who work 60 hours a week at law school during the semester are liars, exaggerators or retards.

+1

I include in-class hours as 'work.' During the first two months I'm going to be working 20/h week. Third month I'm going to work 50/h week. Fourth month going to work 110/h week.

amonynous_ivdinidual

Postby amonynous_ivdinidual » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:16 pm

your colleagues.

the material is easy, as others have said. everyone will know it cold by test day.

the reading is a pain, but nothing a person of normal intelligence and work ethic couldn't handle.

the tests are hard, but not hard to pass.

it isn't that ls is hard. it's that the stakes are so high, and everyone wants the same thing. and everyone is basically equally capable of getting it. some will win, and some will lose hard. it's that stress that makes ls pain that it is.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:17 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

+1

I include in-class hours as 'work.' During the first two months I'm going to be working 20/h week. Third month I'm going to work 50/h week. Fourth month going to work 110/h week.

FWIW, i spent wayy over 60hrs/wk on law school in both semesters of 1L. But i came out top 1%. Wasn't willing to risk going less than this, and it's a only a year. For 1Ls like the above quoted to say ppl are "retards" for doing this, when they themselves have no grades, is both stupid and offensive.

Return to “Law School FAQ”