Experiences for people applying with lower LSAT on 2nd try? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gmenfan

New

Experiences for people applying with lower LSAT on 2nd try?

Post by gmenfan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:06 am

Hello!

I took the October LSAT and had my worst section, RC, to start. I struggled through it by attempting the AA passage first, and actually went through the rest of the exam telling myself I'd cancel when I got home. Somehow, I convinced myself to keep my score since it was my first one, and the opportunity to retake in Dec would wipe away a terrible score. I turns out that I got a 170, even with being in a sour mood throughout that day.

I still retook this past Saturday in hopes of reaching the top end of PTs for the October test (173) and with a new PT average (175). However, I got hit with 3 LRs + 1 RC to start, and my favorable section, LG, last. It was hard, lol. So best-case scenario is a -5 ish overall for the exam, and worst-case is looking to be around a -16.

In deciding whether to fax over my cancellation request, I've tried to formulate the best possible outcome and the worst. A higher score would push me into the lower spectrum of the t14s, (myGPA keeps me out of the t6, so not worried about the averaging of scores), but I'm not sure what a lower score would do for me in regards to the t25. So my question is, what have you guys heard/read about on those who've applied with a lower score on later exams? Were addenda enough to wipe them away? Or did they adversely affect their applications by turning once realistic schools down into reaches?

Thanks for any advice!

albanach

Gold

Re: Experiences for people applying with lower LSAT on 2nd try?

Post by albanach » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:17 am

gmenfan wrote:Hello!

I took the October LSAT and had my worst section, RC, to start. I struggled through it by attempting the AA passage first, and actually went through the rest of the exam telling myself I'd cancel when I got home. Somehow, I convinced myself to keep my score since it was my first one, and the opportunity to retake in Dec would wipe away a terrible score. I turns out that I got a 170, even with being in a sour mood throughout that day.
So, you already have a 170, and haven't applied anywhere yet? You're a whisker away from the 75th percentile at most of the T14 and above it for the remaining 186 or so.

Just where does your GPA lie in relation to the T14 percentiles?

gmenfan

New

Re: Experiences for people applying with lower LSAT on 2nd try?

Post by gmenfan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:34 pm

albanach wrote: So, you already have a 170, and haven't applied anywhere yet? You're a whisker away from the 75th percentile at most of the T14 and above it for the remaining 186 or so.

Just where does your GPA lie in relation to the T14 percentiles?
Sadly I think I fall into the category of a "splitter". My gpa from undergrad is right a 3.20, and I'm fairly realistic on how adcoms look at it (even with a pretty stark positive trend at a school that isn't known for grade inflation, sub-3.0GPA through first two years with a BS in a semi-hard Science and BA in English). I have some understanding involved with the politics of the numbers, so I was hoping an even higher LSAT would offset bringing a school's median GPA down.

Anywho, any advice? I felt better leaving the December exam than October's, with some significant headway when it came to scoring -2s/1s in RC/LR consistently. I keep looking at that +/- 3 band though, and I think the chances of me outscoring it are slim. Is it worth the chance?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”