Mac or PC?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:29 pm

You know what, this is pointless. I don't even have a personal opinion on this.

Anyone who wants to learn more about Parallels feel free to PM me. I taught UG CS/tech classes and will probably try to teach while in law school too so I know a little bit about them electronic counting machines. Will be glad to help anyone who needs opinion/advice/help.

Edited cuz I should know better.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:46 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
What part about "average computer user" did you not understand? If you're in a graduate program learning how to use computers you are obviously learning skills that an average user wouldn't need to utilize. But I guess you have some kind of obsessive need to keep bringing the conversation back to your immense professional experiences instead of actually reading the post and referencing the point made. :roll:


MPA = Master of Public Administration. They are average users.


They obviously aren't average computer users if you need to help them use Microsoft Word. What exactly were you helping them with? If they needed help with operating programs such as word/excel or needed help setting up their yahoo email account, they obviously aren't average.

If they needed "help" with something from you I can only assume that they needed help with some feature of the computer which an average user wouldn't need to utilize, OR they were horrible at average computer skills and thus are below average and shouldn't even be referenced in this conversation...


You are probably right, they aren't average users. However, I would guess that MPA students and JD students have a lot more in common than JD students and average users.

I happen to prefer PCs, but I don't doubt that r6_philly knows what he is talking about. If you are looking for ease of use and flexibility than Mac may be the way to go. With a Mac you can run both, that isn't an option with a PC.

P.S. I clearly prefer PC as I have a long post on P2 of this thread arguing that you get more bang for your buck in the thin-and-light world if you go with a PC, but I don't think that my personal experience somehow trumps other experiences.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby KevinP » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:56 pm

I personally run a highly customized Linux setup because I need 25-second boot times and high-level encryption so if you're willing to explore new territory I'd recommend giving Linux a try.

That said, I would recommend a PC over a Mac any day.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:04 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
What part about "average computer user" did you not understand? If you're in a graduate program learning how to use computers you are obviously learning skills that an average user wouldn't need to utilize. But I guess you have some kind of obsessive need to keep bringing the conversation back to your immense professional experiences instead of actually reading the post and referencing the point made. :roll:


MPA = Master of Public Administration. They are average users.


They obviously aren't average computer users if you need to help them use Microsoft Word. What exactly were you helping them with? If they needed help with operating programs such as word/excel or needed help setting up their yahoo email account, they obviously aren't average.

If they needed "help" with something from you I can only assume that they needed help with some feature of the computer which an average user wouldn't need to utilize, OR they were horrible at average computer skills and thus are below average and shouldn't even be referenced in this conversation...


You are probably right, they aren't average users. However, I would guess that MPA students and JD students have a lot more in common than JD students and average users.

I happen to prefer PCs, but I don't doubt that r6_philly knows what he is talking about. If you are looking for ease of use and flexibility than Mac may be the way to go. With a Mac you can run both, that isn't an option with a PC.

P.S. I clearly prefer PC as I have a long post on P2 of this thread arguing that you get more bang for your buck in the thin-and-light world if you go with a PC, but I don't think that my personal experience somehow trumps other experiences.


Idk, word and excel can do a lot more shit than people know about. I was blown away when I went to MS Office presentations on them at my work (to get out of doing real work of course)

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby Chupavida » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:24 pm

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:03 am

Chupavida wrote:If you can afford one, and you don't intend to use it primarily for gaming, and don't have enterprise/work needs that dictate some specific PC brand requirement, then buy a mac, period. People who say they are overpriced are retarded. The fact that such people apparently see no value in superior build quality, reliability, battery life, support, design, security, or adaptability/versatility should indicate to those looking for advice that the above-referenced, and oft repeated opinion is of little worth.

Circus ponies is great for notes. Omni outliner is also good, though more expensive for little additional benefit.

Thinkpads are decent, though they are undeniably not the machines they used to be. Still, they are a solid choice for the rabidly anti-mac who want a "serious" laptop for school. Asus laptops are a pretty solid choice for price/performance, and make decent gaming laptops with the right configuration, but ultimately they're just plastic laptops with shitty battery life like much of the rest of the market. Sony Vaios (particularly the Z) are ok, but they still suffer from many of the issues which plague the PC laptop market generally, and cost as much or more than MBPs in comparable configurations. Everything else is shit of varying degrees of offensiveness.

I have never broken or gotten a virus on a PC so why would it be dumb to say $1,000 for a slightly better computer is not worth it? I use word, excel, one note, and the internet -- My cell phone can probably handle that if it was configured right. I can have enough fun with a grand in my pocket to make up for a slightly less user friendly os and plastic vs aluminum and glass construction.

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby Chupavida » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:54 am

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Chupavida wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Chupavida wrote:If you can afford one, and you don't intend to use it primarily for gaming, and don't have enterprise/work needs that dictate some specific PC brand requirement, then buy a mac, period. People who say they are overpriced are retarded. The fact that such people apparently see no value in superior build quality, reliability, battery life, support, design, security, or adaptability/versatility should indicate to those looking for advice that the above-referenced, and oft repeated opinion is of little worth.

Circus ponies is great for notes. Omni outliner is also good, though more expensive for little additional benefit.

Thinkpads are decent, though they are undeniably not the machines they used to be. Still, they are a solid choice for the rabidly anti-mac who want a "serious" laptop for school. Asus laptops are a pretty solid choice for price/performance, and make decent gaming laptops with the right configuration, but ultimately they're just plastic laptops with shitty battery life like much of the rest of the market. Sony Vaios (particularly the Z) are ok, but they still suffer from many of the issues which plague the PC laptop market generally, and cost as much or more than MBPs in comparable configurations. Everything else is shit of varying degrees of offensiveness.

I have never broken or gotten a virus on a PC so why would it be dumb to say $1,000 for a slightly better computer is not worth it? I use word, excel, one note, and the internet -- My cell phone can probably handle that if it was configured right. I can have enough fun with a grand in my pocket to make up for a slightly less user friendly os and plastic vs aluminum and glass construction.


Sounds like you need more experience. "A bad thing that is statistically likely to happen hasn't happened to me yet, so I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing," has been the setup for countless tragedies, and could mean you losing the ability to type the most important exams of your life. I personally performed CPR and surgery on the laptops of two people with your mindset on the eve of exams, and watched the IT people wrestle with a couple more during my first final. If you want to buy natty light instead of a quality computer, then more power to you. The curve in any 1L course will always appreciate a little natural selection.


So many things wrong with this statement. The statistical likelihood of getting a virus that would derail your computer isn't uniform across users. Also you counter anecdotal evidence with more anecdotal evidence? At least try to remain consistent.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Chupavida wrote:If you can afford one, and you don't intend to use it primarily for gaming, and don't have enterprise/work needs that dictate some specific PC brand requirement, then buy a mac, period. People who say they are overpriced are retarded. The fact that such people apparently see no value in superior build quality, reliability, battery life, support, design, security, or adaptability/versatility should indicate to those looking for advice that the above-referenced, and oft repeated opinion is of little worth.


Aside from being able to run Windows, Macs are barely adaptable at ALL. You can't crack one open and replace parts yourself. There's like three software titles available.

And just for a little more anecdotal evidence: all my friends who have Macs are constantly having things break. The hinges, the power supplies, the optical drives, the keyboards...and the return/repair process at the Apple store sounds like an utter nightmare, from how much they bitch about it and how long it takes. While those of us who have PCs just keep chugging along with our $600 laptops that last for a decade with no problems. Superior build quality my ass.

cavebat2000
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby cavebat2000 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:49 pm

I bought a dell mini 10 inch at the beginning of the year and it has been the best part of my law schools experience. 11 hour battery life, works perfectly, runs every program I need, excellent 3 year warranty, cost me only $400. Try finding a mac with the same small size, mobility, and functionality and I'll bet you it will probably cost at least 2x what I paid and not be nearly as reliable.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:18 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Chupavida wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Chupavida wrote:If you can afford one, and you don't intend to use it primarily for gaming, and don't have enterprise/work needs that dictate some specific PC brand requirement, then buy a mac, period. People who say they are overpriced are retarded. The fact that such people apparently see no value in superior build quality, reliability, battery life, support, design, security, or adaptability/versatility should indicate to those looking for advice that the above-referenced, and oft repeated opinion is of little worth.

Circus ponies is great for notes. Omni outliner is also good, though more expensive for little additional benefit.

Thinkpads are decent, though they are undeniably not the machines they used to be. Still, they are a solid choice for the rabidly anti-mac who want a "serious" laptop for school. Asus laptops are a pretty solid choice for price/performance, and make decent gaming laptops with the right configuration, but ultimately they're just plastic laptops with shitty battery life like much of the rest of the market. Sony Vaios (particularly the Z) are ok, but they still suffer from many of the issues which plague the PC laptop market generally, and cost as much or more than MBPs in comparable configurations. Everything else is shit of varying degrees of offensiveness.

I have never broken or gotten a virus on a PC so why would it be dumb to say $1,000 for a slightly better computer is not worth it? I use word, excel, one note, and the internet -- My cell phone can probably handle that if it was configured right. I can have enough fun with a grand in my pocket to make up for a slightly less user friendly os and plastic vs aluminum and glass construction.


Sounds like you need more experience. "A bad thing that is statistically likely to happen hasn't happened to me yet, so I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing," has been the setup for countless tragedies, and could mean you losing the ability to type the most important exams of your life. I personally performed CPR and surgery on the laptops of two people with your mindset on the eve of exams, and watched the IT people wrestle with a couple more during my first final. If you want to buy natty light instead of a quality computer, then more power to you. The curve in any 1L course will always appreciate a little natural selection.


So many things wrong with this statement. The statistical likelihood of getting a virus that would derail your computer isn't uniform across users. Also you counter anecdotal evidence with more anecdotal evidence? At least try to remain consistent.


Right. Where am I going to get a virus from? I go on my email, yahoo fantasy sports, the economist online, TLS, my bank's site and limit my porn viewing to one "reputable" source and that is seriously it and even back up important files. For the price of a mac you could buy two PC's -- one simply for exams and practice exams and one for your downloads or whatever has you worried about viruses. Also, just because there is a risk doesn't mean you need to prepare against it to the hilt. I do all kinds of dangerous things like drive, walk down stairs, and even smoke on occasion. I'm guessing you have a hunting rifle, a few thousand rounds, and a 3 month food supply for when the Yellowstone super-valcano blows then? :roll:

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:24 am

whymeohgodno wrote:So many things wrong with this statement. The statistical likelihood of getting a virus that would derail your computer isn't uniform across users. Also you counter anecdotal evidence with more anecdotal evidence? At least try to remain consistent.


I would like to nominate this for post of the week.

Though that may just be my eternal hatred for the evil bastard Steve Jobs talking.

Connelly
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:10 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby Connelly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:02 am

What do people mean by Macs being more "user friendly"? I think there are two components to that - the learning curve and the actual ease of use once certain features of the computer/OS are learned. I'm very comfortable on PCs, so when I sit down to work on a Mac, I still have to run Google searches to figure out how to perform simple tasks. Perhaps once I spent enough time on one, I would find it just as easy or easier to use than a PC, but I wouldn't classify the Mac interface as any more intuitive than a PC's.

Also, a PSA: Learn how to use and maintain your computer. You are going to be spending a majority of your day as well as your working life on one, and there are many problems that you can avoid and/or fix by knowing a little bit about what you're doing. They are no longer magic boxes that only guys playing D&D in their mom's basement need to know how to fix; they are how you do business. Don't be the helpless person that's always looking for someone else to bail them out of a problem.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby nealric » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:48 am

Also, a PSA: Learn how to use and maintain your computer.


This.

I am constantly amazed by how many people in law school get rid of perfectly good computers because they are running "slow" or are "crashing". This includes mac users. People just don't bother to maintain the computer or do basic troubleshooting when something isn't working right.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby 3|ink » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:34 pm

nealric wrote:
Also, a PSA: Learn how to use and maintain your computer.


This.

I am constantly amazed by how many people in law school get rid of perfectly good computers because they are running "slow" or are "crashing". This includes mac users. People just don't bother to maintain the computer or do basic troubleshooting when something isn't working right.


And even if you don't maintain your computer (like me), it's generally easy to fix. I've re-imaged my harddrive 5-6 times since buying my current PC 3 years ago. That solves everything.

sashatheturk
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby sashatheturk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:06 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I don't buy Apple products at all, personally. They annoy me, the creepy white stores annoy me, and the people who obsessively love them annoy me. And they're hella overpriced.

But whatever you choose, make sure your school's IT department supports it. I think there are still some schools that don't support Macs for online exams and campus networking stuff, etc.


lets not forget the way they give you that terrified brave new world look if you ask them when the next ipod is coming out. As if Steve Jobs himself has their parents in the basement of his mansion with a silencer enhanced 9mm to their temple in case they leak street date of the new "wifi equipped nano".

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby haus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:54 pm

3|ink wrote:And even if you don't maintain your computer (like me), it's generally easy to fix. I've re-imaged my harddrive 5-6 times since buying my current PC 3 years ago. That solves everything.


Congratulations on needing to start from scratch every 6 months on average.

My Mac laptop is going on 6 years without the need for such intervention.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby ahduth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Why aren't there more Apple fanboys up in this thread? I love how crazy those people get.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:16 pm

ahduth wrote:Why aren't there more Apple fanboys up in this thread? I love how crazy those people get.



Image

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby cornellbeez » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:22 pm

PC. Cheaper (you can get a decent one for 1/3 of the price of a mac), more compatible with exam-taking software, and imo, easier to use. And fwiw, computer engineers use PCs, not macs. (Most of the engineers seem to invest in Sony Vaios, which are also expensive, but they need high-end pcs for work/gaming.) If you just need it for school, go with low-end, but still high quality, pcs.

Check out consumer reports if you are considering buying a pc though. That site helped me select a quality laptop for roughly 500 bucks. (I'm not a gamer so I didn't need a high-end Vaio.)

Plus, if you tend to download software online (cough), you're more likely to find software for pcs, not macs, and it will save you a ton of moolah. You can get a lot more free stuff online with a pc.

Also, I don't really get why people think Macs are more user-friendly...?
Last edited by cornellbeez on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:30 pm

kalvano wrote:
ahduth wrote:Why aren't there more Apple fanboys up in this thread? I love how crazy those people get.



Image




I think the idea that apple users are somehow brainwashed and unable to think for themselves is so stupid. I grew up on PCs, built a desktop in HS, and played a ton of computer games. But after having 2 PCs give me the blue screen of death then lose a few papers during finals (and once the first of the two lost another paper an hour before it was due), I switched to Mac. Yea it sucks that I can't play most games, but my mac has NEVER crashed in 3 years, nor has it lost a single paper, and I use my Xbox more now anyway.

So to all the people that think they're somehow smarter and more aware because they've resisted what they perceive to be a siren's call, keep it to yourself. Besides, we're all sheep in some sense or another.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:32 pm

I posted that from my iPhone.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby haus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm

cornellbeez wrote:PC. Cheaper (you can get a decent one for 1/3 of the price of a mac), more compatible with exam-taking software, and imo, easier to use. And fwiw, computer engineers use PCs, not macs. (Most of the engineers seem to invest in Sony Vaios, which are also expensive, but they need high-end pcs for work/gaming.) If you just need it for school, go with low-end, but still high quality, pcs.

Check out consumer reports if you are considering buying a pc though. That site helped me select a quality laptop for roughly 500 bucks. (I'm not a gamer so I didn't need a high-end Vaio.)

Plus, if you tend to download software online (cough), you're more likely to find software for pcs, not macs, and it will save you a ton of moolah. You can get a lot more free stuff online with a pc.

Also, I don't really get why people think Macs are more user-friendly...?


You can by a computer for 33% of the price of a Mac laptop, but it will likely not be a very good machine.

I assume that you are referring to pirated software. Much of the pirated software has been compromised to act as a Trojan, but if your idea of a good idea is to rip of those who make software for a living, I am not really that sad that your box is likely owned six ways from Sunday. When it comes to inexpensive software from small/independent shops there are is a strong eco system for the Mac.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:56 pm

I got my HP G61 for $400 + software and it is the best comp I've ever had. I think a lot of people buy way more computer than they actually need and it makes it less functional for them.

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby cornellbeez » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:38 pm

haus wrote: You can by a computer for 33% of the price of a Mac laptop, but it will likely not be a very good machine.

I assume that you are referring to pirated software. Much of the pirated software has been compromised to act as a Trojan, but if your idea of a good idea is to rip of those who make software for a living, I am not really that sad that your box is likely owned six ways from Sunday. When it comes to inexpensive software from small/independent shops there are is a strong eco system for the Mac.


Why do I need a very good machine? All I use is office (including onenote), sometimes photoshop, exam taking software, and internet browsers. Most law students are the same way - you are a fool if you think spending 1k+ is a good idea if you are a light-end user. And if I were to need a heavy duty machine, I'd invest in a desktop along with my low-cost laptop (aka have someone assemble me one for cheap).

As for your second paragraph - no idea what you're talking about...

Most people who buy Macs are just artsy fartsy hipsters who like how sleek they look. Aesthetically they are better looking, but most people who own them don't need such high-end, expensive machines. And fwiw, none of the comp engineers I know use Macs.

Plus, if you are going to be on the edboard of a journal, you're going to have use pcs at the law school to manage your articles. You might be more used to it if you usually use a pc than a mac.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests