Mac or PC? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jarofsoup

Gold

Re: Mac or PC?

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:03 am

New MacOSX coming in July. Do you think it will be supported?

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:18 am

ResolutePear wrote: Well, when you get down to the technicalities, OSX is just a "lite" version of BSD(an unsecured netBSD?) with a fancy windows manager.

I say, if you want to nerd out.. you go with Slackware or Gentoo.. making your own distro would take it to the max.

Though at this point, even Ubuntu is looking great.
That's true. Most of OS X's BSD base is mainly FreeBSD with NetBSD components. I guess I get a bit irritated that the perceived stability of OS X is due to Apple. Sure, Apple has played a slight part but most of it has been taken from the open source community such as BSD and even the Mach kernel OS X's kernel is based on. Hell, even Safari's WebKit is simply a fork of KHTML.

On a side note: Gentoo has been my favorite distro for tinkering with (Use flags and hours of compiling can get annoying though). Also, I can't say I much like the way Gnome3 is turning out.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:42 pm

KevinP wrote:
ResolutePear wrote: Well, when you get down to the technicalities, OSX is just a "lite" version of BSD(an unsecured netBSD?) with a fancy windows manager.

I say, if you want to nerd out.. you go with Slackware or Gentoo.. making your own distro would take it to the max.

Though at this point, even Ubuntu is looking great.
That's true. Most of OS X's BSD base is mainly FreeBSD with NetBSD components. I guess I get a bit irritated that the perceived stability of OS X is due to Apple. Sure, Apple has played a slight part but most of it has been taken from the open source community such as BSD and even the Mach kernel OS X's kernel is based on. Hell, even Safari's WebKit is simply a fork of KHTML.

On a side note: Gentoo has been my favorite distro for tinkering with (Use flags and hours of compiling can get annoying though). Also, I can't say I much like the way Gnome3 is turning out.
XFCE is where the minimalists go. IMO, it's very nice and sometimes makes me miss 1999.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”