Debt Forgiveness Question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Platinum

Debt Forgiveness Question

Post by 2014 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:15 am

Alright so I am aware that after 10 years your debt is forgivable if you are in a job that is sufficiently heart warming, but is that only grad school government loans, or all government loans from your education?

I am going to come out of UG with a sizable sum of Staffords for example, and I'm curious if those qualify for forgiveness as well if I were to end up with a good public interest job.

On that same hand, do schools with good LRAP programs help with those repayments, or will they distinguise your grad school and UG debt? I'm imagining that it is possible to consolidate them all into one payment once you graduate, so will your law school say "Your payment is is 1600, from our calculations we are only responsible for causing 1300 of that, so here you go" (making up numbers).

Thanks!

snakemongler84

New

Re: Debt Forgiveness Question

Post by snakemongler84 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:18 am

All government loans, but you have to re-consolidate them all together (undergrad + grad).

Not sure about your school LRAP question, though.

mpj_3050

Bronze

Re: Debt Forgiveness Question

Post by mpj_3050 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:30 am

Yeah they can tack on the undergrad loans as well; what I would like to do with my 13k Stafford from UG. You have to pay the 120 payments for 10 years which you know and they all have to be within 15 days of the due date or they do not count towards the 120 payments. I guess that does give you a little more wiggle room should you get a job eligible for the loan forgiveness and then get laid off. Hopefully you can find a qualifying job and keep it or find another one quickly if something happens.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”