Is Law School Worth Sticker to YOU?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Is law school worth sticker to you?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 491

HeavenWood

Re: Is Law School Worth Sticker to YOU?

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:27 pm

OGR3 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
I swallowed enough of my pride attending a second banana state school on scholly. I'm entitled to a little prestige whoring :mrgreen:.

Yeah, because Pitt's pretty low on the college spectrum...

It's (unfairly) overshadowed by Penn State. You know this as well as I.

In the end, I have no regrets: I got a good education at a great price, but I'm ready to go to a law school that has actual lay prestige beyond its immediate city.

Did you go to Pitt for UG as well?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:33 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
I swallowed enough of my pride attending a second banana state school on scholly. I'm entitled to a little prestige whoring :mrgreen:.

In the end, I have no regrets: I got a good education at a great price, but I'm ready to go to a law school that has actual lay prestige beyond its immediate city.

That's a good point. The amount of people in Pennsylvania (and even IN Pittsburgh) who think schools like Duquesne and Robert Morris are on the same level as Pitt amazes me.

I can't even remember the number of times I've been asked if I go to Duquesne when I tell people I'm in law school...

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:37 pm

OGR3 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

That's a good point. The amount of people in Pennsylvania (and even IN Pittsburgh) who think schools like Duquesne and Robert Morris are on the same level as Pitt amazes me.

I can't even remember the number of times I've been asked if I go to Duquesne when I tell people I'm in law school...

Just a couple decades ago, Duquesne actually did have a better law school (and UG). As Pittsburgh soared in public appeal, so did the quality of education at Pitt. We've gone from a TTT UG to a lower Tier 1 in just ten years. But as you said before, all that's moot. Older folks look at me funny when I tell them I didn't apply to Duquesne Law.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:40 pm

I would pay sticker at my reaches in the 20's and lower 30's. I will take into consideration greatly how easy/hard it will be to get in-state tuition, though.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:41 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Not really, its more like the people who arent competitive for the t14 always make it a point to tell everyone they wouldnt pay sticker at a t14.

There is definitely some truth to this statement.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:45 pm

HeavenWood wrote: Older folks look at me funny when I tell them I didn't apply to Duquesne Law.

I think a lot of people pity me because I don't go to Duquesne.

But back to the original question...

No, at least not for my first year. BUT, if I were to lose my scholarship for years 2 and 3, I wouldn't be too upset with in-state tuition, I'd still graduate with relatively low debt.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:46 pm

I would only pay sticker if I get in state residence( and its dirt cheap) as a 2L and 3L, and a scholly as a 1L. Being 200k in debt( and not for a house) scares me.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Not really, its more like the people who arent competitive for the t14 always make it a point to tell everyone they wouldnt pay sticker at a t14.

If my 1L grades made me competitive for a transfer to T14, I wouldn't go. I'd take the increased scholarship and great regional job prospects my class ranking would provide over T14 any day.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:47 pm

I had an argument with someone about that school 2 days ago!! A guys dad went there, and he was telling me how tis the best LS in Pennsylvania. I was like I've never even heard of it, dude... :(

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Barbie wrote:I had an argument with someone about that school 2 days ago!! A guys dad went there, and he was telling me how tis the best LS in Pennsylvania. I was like I've never even heard of it, dude... :(

I hear UPenn has a decent LS.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:01 pm

beachbum wrote:
Barbie wrote:I had an argument with someone about that school 2 days ago!! A guys dad went there, and he was telling me how tis the best LS in Pennsylvania. I was like I've never even heard of it, dude... :(

Although I just talked about how obnoxious this was, chances are good that wherever I end up working, I'll be around Penn grads. If any of them are annoying, I'll be doing this ALL the time.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:05 pm

OGR3 wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Although I just talked about how obnoxious this was, chances are good that wherever I end up working, I'll be around Penn grads. If any of them are annoying, I'll be doing this ALL the time.

You could just stick with the standard Penn State/Joe Pa lines. I imagine that works as well as a punch to the face on a Penn student.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm a 2L with a full scholarship at a T20. The only school I would rate as worth it to give up my scholarship and pay sticker is Yale. I thought applying applying for a transfer to Harvard, but the debt freaked me out.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:

It's not exclusive though. I'm sure I would have been competitive at many T14s both before and after 1L. But there is no way I'd pay sticker for T14 (except Yale of course, just because bragging rights over Harvard is a million times cooler than going to Harvard).

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:08 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

It's not exclusive though. I'm sure I would have been competitive at many T14s both before and after 1L. But there is no way I'd pay sticker for T14 (except Yale of course, just because bragging rights over Harvard is a million times cooler than going to Harvard).

I'd pay sticker at harvard just because of the endless sex i'd get.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

You mean endless sex at Harvard? Or after you graduated from Harvard and dropped the H bomb on chicks who didn't go to Harvard? Just curious how that works, because I'm a lowly T20er.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:30 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:There is definitely some truth to this statement.

You mean endless sex at Harvard? Or after you graduated from Harvard and dropped the H bomb on chicks who didn't go to Harvard? Just curious how that works, because I'm a lowly T20er.

I don't think people want to have sex with harvard girls, generally anyways. Dropping the H-bomb is credited. I think if I was accepted to harvard (0% chance of this happening) that 50% of the girls I currently know would automatically want to sleep with me.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:35 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

Definitely not exclusive but the only reason it seems like debt aversion is so rampant on TLS is because of these ppl chiming in saying they would take Full tuition at *insert random tier 3 school* over a T14 when in reality they arent even close to competitive. What is the point in even mentioning the T14 when your reaches are in the 40-60 range??

For the record, I wouldnt pay sticker at ANY school. Not because I think its an unwise investment, simply because it scares me. I am having to ease myself into the idea of paying 2/3 of sticker at HYS.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:41 pm

If I got into my target schools (GW, WUSTL, BU), I'd be ecstatic to pay sticker. If not there, I'd feel okay about paying sticker at some lower t20s/upper t30s. If not there, I'd feel okay paying sticker at UF with state-residency (like 15g a year + low COL, otherwise I'd be less than okay about going there, for my own personal reasons).

I wouldn't pay for anything less than UF, but honestly I would probably be saying something different if I didn't have UF as my fall back safety. If I was scoring 175s, I'd prob be saying only t14 is worth it. If I was scoring 155s, I'd be saying something like only tier2 is worth it.

Anyone's answer is going to be affected by what they already know/expect what schools they will get into and with what money.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:47 pm

2011Law wrote:If I got into my target schools (GW, WUSTL, BU), I'd be ecstatic to pay sticker. If not there, I'd feel okay about paying sticker at some lower t20s/upper t30s. If not there, I'd feel okay paying sticker at UF with state-residency (like 15g a year + low COL, otherwise I'd be less than okay about going there, for my own personal reasons).

I wouldn't pay for anything less than UF, but honestly I would probably be saying something different if I didn't have UF as my fall back safety. If I was scoring 175s, I'd prob be saying only t14 is worth it. If I was scoring 155s, I'd be saying something like only tier2 is worth it.

Anyone's answer is going to be affected by what they already know/expect what schools they will get into and with what money.

Not necessarily, as it is right now, I wouldn't pay sticker for most of the schools I could reasonably expect to get into. There are probably only 1-2 schools I think I can expect to get into that i'd pay sticker for and there are 1-2 reaches that are possible that i'd pay sticker for. But if I had scored two points lower on my lsat there wasn't a single school in that range i'd pay sticker for, I told myself long ago I wouldn't even go to law school if it wasn't a certain level, let alone pay sticker.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:59 pm

I cannot pay sticker anywhere. . . I have grad school debt and a 19 month old daughter who will be going to college before I'd be able to pay off LS debt *sigh*

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:00 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
2011Law wrote:If I got into my target schools (GW, WUSTL, BU), I'd be ecstatic to pay sticker. If not there, I'd feel okay about paying sticker at some lower t20s/upper t30s. If not there, I'd feel okay paying sticker at UF with state-residency (like 15g a year + low COL, otherwise I'd be less than okay about going there, for my own personal reasons).

Not necessarily, as it is right now, I wouldn't pay sticker for most of the schools I could reasonably expect to get into. There are probably only 1-2 schools I think I can expect to get into that i'd pay sticker for and there are 1-2 reaches that are possible that i'd pay sticker for. But if I had scored two points lower on my lsat there wasn't a single school in that range i'd pay sticker for, I told myself long ago I wouldn't even go to law school if it wasn't a certain level, let alone pay sticker.

But you see, you probably (like anyone who takes the lsat remotely serious) already had a vague idea of where you thought you'd score or could score, and then drew a line and say I won't settle for anything less than this. When you do that and also look at your gpa, your also essentially drawing a line as to where you are willing to attend and for how much. You might be right though, if becoming a lawyer isn't a real dream of yours, then I guess you can make a calculated decision as to whether you can expect more money or w/e going to law school vs something else.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:42 pm

T14 yes, well known state school with in state tuition yes, anything else no.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:51 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Definitely not exclusive but the only reason it seems like debt aversion is so rampant on TLS is because of these ppl chiming in saying they would take Full tuition at *insert random tier 3 school* over a T14 when in reality they arent even close to competitive. What is the point in even mentioning the T14 when your reaches are in the 40-60 range??

For the record, I wouldnt pay sticker at ANY school. Not because I think its an unwise investment, simply because it scares me. I am having to ease myself into the idea of paying 2/3 of sticker at HYS.

I see what you did there. Cute. Listen... I really wouldn't pay sticker. You have no idea what my situation is, or why I am debt adverse. But, I'll tell you now, it ain't because I am a low performer. (and yes, I know my GPA and lack of re-take make me a low performer)

How incredibly arrogant and condescending of you to slam me in the first paragraph and then agree with me in the second (while bragging, I might add). I look forward to your entry into the real world with the sadistic pleasure I take in seeing certain players get injured on the field.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Interesting that people would pay sticker for T14 but not Vandy, especially considering the most recent NLJ250.

For me, T6. Probably would be different if I was a splitter, in which case I'd pay for UVA ED or NW ED.

Return to “Law School FAQ”