Is Law School Worth Sticker to YOU? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Is law school worth sticker to you?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 494

twert

Bronze

Re: Is Law School Worth Sticker to YOU?

Post by twert » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:56 pm

rad law wrote:Interesting that people would pay sticker for T14 but not Vandy, especially considering the most recent NLJ250.

For me, T6. Probably would be different if I was a splitter, in which case I'd pay for UVA ED or NW ED.
i think people say t14 because its easier. being willing to pay full at cornell or gtown but not vandy is silly.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:58 pm

rad law wrote:Interesting that people would pay sticker for T14 but not Vandy, especially considering the most recent NLJ250.

For me, T6. Probably would be different if I was a splitter, in which case I'd pay for UVA ED or NW ED.
I'm hoping vandy gives me money.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:01 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

Every time someone mentions Vandy, I wish I had applied there.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:07 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Seriously, i'm sure i'll retake, but at my current stats i'd probably take the half ride at vandy over anything else i'd be likely to get.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:08 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:08 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Definitely not exclusive but the only reason it seems like debt aversion is so rampant on TLS is because of these ppl chiming in saying they would take Full tuition at *insert random tier 3 school* over a T14 when in reality they arent even close to competitive. What is the point in even mentioning the T14 when your reaches are in the 40-60 range??

For the record, I wouldnt pay sticker at ANY school. Not because I think its an unwise investment, simply because it scares me. I am having to ease myself into the idea of paying 2/3 of sticker at HYS.

I see what you did there. Cute. Listen... I really wouldn't pay sticker. You have no idea what my situation is, or why I am debt adverse. But, I'll tell you now, it ain't because I am a low performer. (and yes, I know my GPA and lack of re-take make me a low performer)

How incredibly arrogant and condescending of you to slam me in the first paragraph and then agree with me in the second (while bragging, I might add). I look forward to your entry into the real world with the sadistic pleasure I take in seeing certain players get injured on the field.
Not at all referring specifically to you. If I was I would've quoted you. I was just pointing out the reason for the seemingly rampant aversion to debt on TLS. IIRC, you are somewhat non-trad with a wife and a somewhat stable career to return to. In your case of course debt aversion is of course understandable. I was referring more to the ppl who love to talk about how they would turn down
Harvard for a T50 full scholly b/c for some reason its "Huge" size has suddenly become disabling and ridiculous reasons like that.

I also was neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you. Again, just explaining the appearance of massive debt aversion and the silliness of it overall.
Last edited by rundoxierun on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:09 pm

acrossthelake wrote:T6.
+1

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:11 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
firemedicprelaw wrote:
I see what you did there. Cute. Listen... I really wouldn't pay sticker. You have no idea what my situation is, or why I am debt adverse. But, I'll tell you now, it ain't because I am a low performer. (and yes, I know my GPA and lack of re-take make me a low performer)

How incredibly arrogant and condescending of you to slam me in the first paragraph and then agree with me in the second (while bragging, I might add). I look forward to your entry into the real world with the sadistic pleasure I take in seeing certain players get injured on the field.
Not at all referring specifically to you. If I was I would've quoted you. I was just pointing out the reason for the seemingly rampant aversion to debt on TLS. IIRC, you are somewhat non-trad with a wife and a somewhat stable career to return to. In your case of course debt aversion is of course understandable.

I also was neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you. Again, just explaining the appearance of massive debt aversion and the silliness of it overall.
Ah... it looked personal. My bad tk. I apologize for accusing you.

ETA: and I apologize for hoping you got injured somehow...
Last edited by firemed on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:14 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
firemedicprelaw wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Definitely not exclusive but the only reason it seems like debt aversion is so rampant on TLS is because of these ppl chiming in saying they would take Full tuition at *insert random tier 3 school* over a T14 when in reality they arent even close to competitive. What is the point in even mentioning the T14 when your reaches are in the 40-60 range??

For the record, I wouldnt pay sticker at ANY school. Not because I think its an unwise investment, simply because it scares me. I am having to ease myself into the idea of paying 2/3 of sticker at HYS.

Not at all referring specifically to you. If I was I would've quoted you. I was just pointing out the reason for the seemingly rampant aversion to debt on TLS. IIRC, you are somewhat non-trad with a wife and a somewhat stable career to return to. In your case of course debt aversion is of course understandable.

i don't think its silly to be debt averse. i certainly don't think having a family and being a non trad is the only justification for being debt averse. Its true that a lot of us who had no high prospects say we wouldn't have paid full price even if we had, and that it probably seems flippant. However, unless you want biglaw, or have serious federal government ambitions, full tuition is not worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Seriously, i'm sure i'll retake, but at my current stats i'd probably take the half ride at vandy over anything else i'd be likely to get.
With my stats, that's what I did. I probably would have gotten into Cornell had I applied. Took the Vandy money over equivalent money at Texas, too.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

+1. I'm surprised Vandy isn't more attractive on TLS given its placement (relative to CG), it's location (especially relative to C), and its atmosphere (especially relative to G). I'm EDing to Duke (so obviously willing to pay sticker at T14), but if that doesn't pull through I'll strongly consider any possible offer from Vandy.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:28 pm

beachbum wrote:+1. I'm surprised Vandy isn't more attractive on TLS given its placement (relative to CG), it's location (especially relative to C), and its atmosphere (especially relative to G). I'm EDing to Duke (so obviously willing to pay sticker at T14), but if that doesn't pull through I'll strongly consider any possible offer from Vandy.
I'm guessing Vandy is basically a prettier version of UT, with better job placement, but Austin is much cooler than Nashville. Still, Nashville doesn't sound half bad to me, at least not for three years.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:29 pm

When I got into W&L this week I sort of came to regret my ED to Georgetown. I won't get in, but I find it hard to grapple with the idea of such a large amount of debt when a reputable law school in the state I want to be in would be willing to admit and offer me a fair amount of money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:34 pm

JazzOne wrote:
beachbum wrote:+1. I'm surprised Vandy isn't more attractive on TLS given its placement (relative to CG), it's location (especially relative to C), and its atmosphere (especially relative to G). I'm EDing to Duke (so obviously willing to pay sticker at T14), but if that doesn't pull through I'll strongly consider any possible offer from Vandy.
I'm guessing Vandy is basically a prettier version of UT, with better job placement, but Austin is much cooler than Nashville. Still, Nashville doesn't sound half bad to me, at least not for three years.
Nashville's a pretty ballin' place, and the food is ridiculous. TBF, every Texan I've met has a near fanatical infatuation with Texas and at least 1 of the only 3 cities anyone cares about within the state, so I can't blame you too much :wink:

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:37 pm

stratocophic wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Nashville's a pretty ballin' place, and the food is ridiculous. TBF, every Texan I've met has a near fanatical infatuation with Texas and at least 1 of the only 3 cities anyone cares about within the state, so I can't blame you too much :wink:
I'm not fanatical about Texas or Austin, but I've been to Nashville, and well, meh. It was fun, but I really enjoy the diversity in Austin. I'm not a big UT homer either.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:40 pm

stratocophic wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Never been to Nashville, but I love it here. I just purchased a sweet tristar visor epitomizing my love for the city.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:41 pm

beachbum wrote: +1. I'm surprised Vandy isn't more attractive on TLS given its placement (relative to CG), it's location (especially relative to C), and its atmosphere (especially relative to G). I'm EDing to Duke (so obviously willing to pay sticker at T14), but if that doesn't pull through I'll strongly consider any possible offer from Vandy.
But it's not T14!!111!!11!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:47 pm

This is my thinking about why any of the t14 are worth it:

Using GULC's data from Law School Transparency Project (Vandy had to many no-responses)-

51.54% make 160,000 a year

17.18% make less than or equal to 17.19% a year (will include some people making 160K) - we will count this as 60,000

13.6% - Employed with unknown/not provided salary - we will count this as 60,000

7.5% - No response - we will count this as unemployed

3% - responded as unemployed

Including article 3 clerkships seems pointless because those people could have gotten firm jobs and will almost certainly be able to after so the %s don't add up to 100. I will just leave them off below as 0 net change even though that is only true in the short term.
=>

Assuming otherwise would be earning $Y how much better/worse you can expect to be is this:

Expected Change in income = .5154(160,000 - Y)+.1718(60000 - Y)+.136(60000 - Y)+.075(0 - Y)+.03(0 - Y)

for me Y=50,000 so my expected change in income = + $54,522. Subtracting $24,000 for loan payments per year then I will be at +$30,522 per year. This is nearly the worst case scenario that the data can provide (and it is most likely better than this) so it makes sense for to pay sticker at Georgetown from a strictly financial point of view.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Plus, if I go to vandy, rad is going to get me laid.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:53 pm

twert wrote:

i think people say t14 because its easier. being willing to pay full at cornell or gtown but not vandy is silly.
Vandy's a great school academically, but I dislike Nashville and wouldn't fit in very well at the school (I'm the opposite of fratty). The point is moot, though. If I applied, I would be in WL purgatory with my numbers.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:03 am

ksimon2007 wrote:When I got into W&L this week I sort of came to regret my ED to Georgetown. I won't get in, but I find it hard to grapple with the idea of such a large amount of debt when a reputable law school in the state I want to be in would be willing to admit and offer me a fair amount of money.

Then why dont you withdraw your ED? If you are having second thoughts about it, and if W&L offered you money, perhaps it would be in your best interests to withdraw. Sure, you will probably be rejected from Georgetown, but if you think you would be happier somewhere else, then go there

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:04 am

HeavenWood wrote:
twert wrote:

Vandy's a great school academically, but I dislike Nashville and wouldn't fit in very well at the school (I'm the opposite of fratty). The point is moot, though. If I applied, I would be in WL purgatory with my numbers.
The rumors are true. Vandy does have a very white and preppy vibe.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:10 am

rad law wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
twert wrote:

Went out on black Friday to stock up on Polo and Sperrys. You know, just in case.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:17 am

beachbum wrote:
rad law wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
twert wrote:i think people say t14 because its easier. being willing to pay full at cornell or gtown but not vandy is silly.
Went out on black Friday to stock up on Polo and Sperrys. You know, just in case.
Vandy is sounding better and better

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:27 am

beachbum wrote:
rad law wrote: The rumors are true. Vandy does have a very white and preppy vibe.
Stock up on ties for the football games, too. Quite a few people wear them to tailgates.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”